reccomended transmission fluid

monkeydude3

Reaction score
I think since I have the day off tomorrow I am going to change the transmission fluid in our 94 GT, and it has the T5 transmission correct? It is a 5 speed. I was debating doin the rear end but we are doin a complete teardown of the rearend soon... so that will wait until then.

So what kind of fluid would you guys reccomend? The car is near stock, don't need anything special. SOmething autozone would have. Maybe mobil 1 atf? I ran that in my T45 and it loved it. 92000 miles on it. And how many quarts does it take?

Also any tips for changing it? (things to look out for)

Thanks all!

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
no brand preference? I think it has a small leak, so I may be going regular fluid here... as in non synthetic.

so dexron III? Or should I go mercon? or are they the same?

Magic

Reaction score
at your local parts place, you will find your typical ATF which is a Dexron/Mercon 'blend', otherwise universal to say the least......which will work fine....
try and pinpoint your leak, while you are there....its probably coming from the rear outputshaft seal...

Anrev

Reaction score
Royal Purple manual tranny fluid. I noticed a difference as soon as I started backing out of the driveway. Costs about $10 a quart. And you will need 3. The book calls out for 5.6 US pints. Which is 2.8 US quarts. And get a quart bottle pump. You'll be happy you did.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
well I learned the leak is coming from two places. The shifter 'ball' in the middle where it pivots, and also the shifter to trans meeting point. So I took the stock shifter out, cleaned it all real good and put new super black RTV on it before I put it in. It hurt to put the stock shifter back in, but I know it will be a while before i can afford an upgrade.

Surprisingly the rear output seal was not dripping ANY fluid. But I just ran a bunch of the regular dexron/mercon stuff I had laying around. The stuff that came out was hideously dark and I put in bright red/pink fluid! It shifts smoother now so I think for the moment we are good.

I'm planning a short throw sometime soon, and maybe even a king cobra clutch setup. So there will be many more opportunity to put in better fluid and so forth.

Thanks all!

roushinator

Reaction score
Anrev said:
Royal Purple manual tranny fluid. I noticed a difference as soon as I started backing out of the driveway. Costs about $10 a quart. And you will need 3. The book calls out for 5.6 US pints. Which is 2.8 US quarts. And get a quart bottle pump. You'll be happy you did.

I Noticed a big difference right away after the change. Car has about 75k miles and the oil that came out looked bad and smelled worse. I also used a bottle pump ($4 at autozone). It was super easy because of that.

Prdbyford1

Reaction score
I have used both and noticed very little difference. The only thing I noticed was that it was tighter top shift when it was cold or cold outside. I have been told by many builders that the plain old Penzoil ATF that I have been using is perfect. My brother was actually told NOT to use it in his Marauder when he just got his trans built. Something about wearing parts out a lot quicker.

Addermk2

Reaction score
did anyone hapen to notice that this thread is 2 years old

Ryno8705

Reaction score
Since this thread was already resurrected, I?ll just throw in I have heard of people having problems running synthetic ATF in T5s and other transmissions because it can become too slippery and not allow the blocker rings to do their job. Thus, shifting actually becomes harder. I?d recommend just using standard Mercon III - V and be done. If you drive hard, change it one a year or every other.

riored96gt

Reaction score
Ryno8705 said:
Since this thread was already resurrected, I?ll just throw in I have heard of people having problems running synthetic ATF in T5s and other transmissions because it can become too slippery and not allow the blocker to do their job.

Huh?

Ryno8705

Reaction score
What part don't you get? The resurrected part?=the thread was started in 2007. The too slippery part?=You actually do need friction to allow the friction surfaces/blocker rings to do their job -- match engine speed with trans speed. If you put a fluid in the trans which is too slippery, your blocker rings/synchros can't do their job as well. What may have been confusing to you is I accidentally only said blocker, instead of blocker rings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.