Recommend a guy a trans...

Groove

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of piecing together a blown 5.4 setup for my 96 gt, but the stock trans in the car is starting to take a dive. I'm looking into replacing it with a better trans and would like some feed back on my options. Should I go with a t-56 or the TKO600. Or should I just get a better rebuilt t-45. Thanks for the help and on a side note I'm finally glad to find a forum to share the love for the SN95 mustang.

OP
OP
G

Groove

Reaction score
Personally the number of gears doesn't really matter to me. I'm looking for a stronger than stock transmission, something I can power shift and without it coming apart on me. I do understand that with my 4:10.1 gears a six speed would lower my final drive ratio therefore resulting in improved fuel economy. But personally I'm not concerned with that. I daily drive a miata with a 125 shot in it. I'd really rather not purchase one transmission and then regret purchasing it because the other was actually better.

Bluesn95

Reaction score
Go with the TKO 600 If you want all out durabillity. Its a great trans, a little noisy but its not that bad. If you plan on daily driving the car or plan on going out of town with the car and fuel economy go with the T56 rated @ 550 TQ. I kinda wish I had gone that way but I still love my TKO 500. If you're runnin stock gears (which Im guessing you're not) you really don't need a T56. My stang at 75 runs 2800 RPMs with 4.10 gears. I get around 20 - 22on the highway. If im easy on it. If you do get the TKO 600 get the one with the .62 overdrive. The .82 overdrive is mainly for road racing and will eat your fuel economy. Honestly I wish I had a six speed but Im still happy with my trans cause it gives me piece of mind. Beware when getting a six speed because there are many different T56s. Most are rated between 375 and 425. Make sure you ask for the one rated at 550. Hope this helps.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have the T56, the TKO would be better if you are going to mainly beat on it, juust like the guy above me said. If you are going to mainly drive it, the T56 will hold great.

OP
OP
G

Groove

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everybody for their responses. I'll order the trans, the lakewood bellhousing, and a new shifter. Is there anything else needed for this conversion?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Depends on the input and output you get. You may need a clutch, and or driveshaft yoke.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Groove said:
I'd like to thank everybody for their responses. I'll order the trans, the lakewood bellhousing, and a new shifter. Is there anything else needed for this conversion?
Which trans but both require a new clutch.

OP
OP
G

Groove

Reaction score
Well now I've ordered the TKO 600 and all the misc. parts I was informed that I would need. Trans and parts should be here on Wednesday, but I'll be out of town and wont be able to install said parts for at least two weeks as I'll be traveling with work. Would you all like a documented step by step photo install guide?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online