Recommendation on Adjustable Cam Gears...

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Tried to order Comp Cams adjustable cam gear set - They seem to be back ordered from Comp Cams until mid November. :cool:

Anybody got recommendations on a different brand I can get sooner or that might be a better brand?

Thanks!
Doc

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Tried to order Comp Cams adjustable cam gear set - They seem to be back ordered from Comp Cams until mid November. :cool:

Anybody got recommendations on a different brand I can get sooner or that might be a better brand?

Thanks!
Doc
Try the cloyes brand adjustable gears. I believe they are one of the brands that have stainless hold down screws or the screws do not interfere with the cam sensor signal.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Well it looks like the comp gears have completely changed design. They wouldn’t mess with the sensor anymore either. The old ones would cause problems. Where all have you checked for the comp gears?

joe65

Reaction score
did you check the MMR site? Nevermin, didn't see them there. I'll be in the same boat, just ordered some tfs heads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
did you check the MMR site? Nevermin, didn't see them there. I'll be in the same boat, just ordered some tfs heads.
Did you order new cams too? The difference in orientation of the intake and exhaust valves with the TFS heads will work with stock cams but custom ground cams to take advantage of the TFS orientation of the valves is better.

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Try the cloyes brand adjustable gears. I believe they are one of the brands that have stainless hold down screws or the screws do not interfere with the cam sensor signal.
I will look at them.

Well it looks like the comp gears have completely changed design. They wouldn’t mess with the sensor anymore either. The old ones would cause problems. Where all have you checked for the comp gears?
Good to know about the design change - had read that. I ordered them directly from Comp Cams. Got an email today about the back order. Summit has them listed as shipping next week, but it seems to me that if they are coming form Comp Cams - wouldn’t that be a longer delay too?

I saw Fidanza has a set but they’re about $500 for the pair. OUCH

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Doesn’t look like Cloyes makes anything for the modular Ford motors any more.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Doesn’t look like Cloyes makes anything for the modular Ford motors any more.
That really bites. They were called cloyes hex-a-just. They were great. Did you call mmr maybe? They have the comp set listed and might have them in stock?

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Checked with MMR - they have the comp cams. Last thing I ordered from them a couple of months ago took about 3 weeks to get here. Just ordered the Comp Cams gears from Lethal Performance. They’re usually quick to ship and just down in FL so it comes fast.

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Aw hell! Do what us modular cheapskapes have always done and lap the key!!! Save your money!

Yep. I went back and forth between adjustable crank gears, adjustable cam gears...etc. Decided the method I like the best is filing the cam gear and using a piece of cheap feeler gauge to take up the slack before the cam bolt goes on

joe65

Reaction score
yeah i ended up back on MMR site last night and found the gears. But you found another supplier. good deal. So back to the cam gear vs crank gear (adjustable) why would you do one rather than the other?
Also, yes thanks for mentioning about the trick flow heads and cams. I'm aware of the difference in the heads and the cams. Lots of guys who didn't know and left HP on the table...

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I did both on my 2v. Use the crank gears to get close and then use the cam gears to make each bank perfectly the same.

joe65

Reaction score
ok, so just finer adjustment with the cam gears, makes sense, more teeth, bigger wheel.

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
No luck on the cam gears from Lethal Performance. They drop ship from Comp Cams - so back to Summit. They expect some Aug. 24th.

joe65

Reaction score
damn. well only 10 days, hopefully. I need some too.

OP
OP
doggiedoc

doggiedoc

Reaction score
Unless of course the don’t come back later and say.... sorry it looks like November.

I just hope they are in the que earlier that I was at Comp Cams.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online