Remove 24 year old screws from tps

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Good to know. I had one many years ago and I never used it on anything precise. I think you guys have more skills than I do. Anyway, the install and especially the adjustment is something I have not done, so I will need to learn that one.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Tps adjustment on our cars is a myth. Yes ideally it should be close to 1v but anywhere from .8-1.3v or so and the ecu will not throw a code. Everytime the key is cycled the ecu uses the lowest value as the closed throttle value.

badass98svt

Reaction score
On an OBD I car it is definitely required, I was thinking we were talking about a 5.oh
Yeah with OBD II, it'll just relearn everything after XX amount of cycles.

tinnocker

Reaction score
I bought a Ford Motorcraft IAC- PN CX1842 valve this week and installed it yesterday. It was identical to the factory one on my 94 GT. $67.23 with free shipping from Amazon. I worked with my old one, drilling the mounting holes larger to give more adjustment, (some say it is a myth and some swear by it, so I thought I had nothing to loose) using 4-5 different ways to set idle that I read about on the internet. Mine idled at about 1000rpm's and nothing worked. I had a cam installed and wanted to hear a better lope. Installed the new IAC valve and she lopes at about 850-900 rpm and I am a happy camper.

tinnocker

Reaction score
Sorry, you were talking about the throttle control sensor and I was talking about the idle air control. and I thought they were the same but found out they weren't .........I had the tune ttocs. The shop that did the cam, head, intake installation did the tune. It ran perfect but just would not idle below 1,000 rpm's. He told me when I picked it up he had set the idle at 900 rpm and it did at that time. After the 50 mile drive home and a week or so of driving it around the idle jumped back to 1,000 or a little more. I called him back and he blamed it on the computer and told me that I might could lower it by the allen screw on the cable linkage. Well that did not help but the NEW IAC was what brought the idle down. I think the 28 year old iac was bad. This is the first computer/ fuel injected car I have tried to work on and I am still trying to learn. Hey I am 74 years old.

07GtS197

Reaction score
No worries I was just confused lol. Good thing you got yours sorted out without too much of a headache.

NEURON

Reaction score
Yeah, a few guys actually remember carbs in most cars...
I think the Corvette was the first one I saw, and maybe a Volvo. My middle school teacher had a new '58 Pontiac Bonneville fuelly, he hated it and put tri power on it..

tinnocker

Reaction score
This is actually my 2nd fuel injection vehicle. I had a 1980 CJ 7 That I bought in 82 from the original owner. I kept it for about 25 years and when I got rid of it, it had a built 360 AMC with a fuel injected throttle body on it. I bought the kit which had just come out and installed it. I loved the way I could go on rough off roads and no stumble like the carbs did. I never could get it to idle down at a red light. I would be sitting beside another car and it would be running at about 1600rpm. I let other 'experts' work on it and they couldn't fix it either. It would drop down to about 650 right before the light changed. It was like that when I sold it.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
Wow, only the 2nd injected car? I loved the simplicity of the carb, but also remember my '69 Camaro didn't like the altitude much in Laramie (7200) where I went to tech school. Fuel injection solves those issues, just harder to make changes to along with way and too many wires! Speaking of Corvettes and 1958, I painted a '58 when I worked at a Vette shop in the 80's. Those were beautiful and so simple to work on.

tinnocker

Reaction score
By second fuel injected vehicle, I mean project, toy, hot rod, ....cars that I phsically work on and build. My daily drivers have been fuel injected since the 80's. I didn't build my 94 Mustang, I hired the heads, cam, and intake swap and hired the catback, headers, and exhaust. On my previous projects, toys, hot rods, I would have done all that myself,...even the painting. I can't physically do what I used to do. It was my hobby, not my trade. I was a metal worker.

OP
OP
N

Notthenow

Reaction score
That should have been obvious to me...still having effects from my painting days... I was wondering if your handle meant some type of metal work. I'm hoping to still be able to continue the hands on car work after retiring as my main hobby.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online