Remove scuffs and swirls in black paint?

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
I bought the polishing pads and they all crapped out after the two cars, I wouldn't rule out user error, but oof the combination of their polishes and pads barely did anything. My Lake Country pads with Sonax compounds and polishes have been leaps and bounds better as far as performance and durability so far.

The V10 sealant/quick detailer doesn't survive a wash and it looks streaky/runny when not applied in shade/cool weather. I have a gallon of that stuff just sitting around. Melon Snow Foam smells great and really foams, but does nothing to lift the dirt on it's own, I still up having to use mitts.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Huh. Glad I didn’t pull the trigger on Chemical Guys. I think I’m going to break in slow and easy (ie, more affordably). Picked up the Meguiars speed clay 2.0 for $20. Will use that in succession as prescribed with: wash (to strip old waxes, etc off); clay bar with some kind of lubricant; rubbing compound with DA machine; finish with simple carnuba wax. Let ya know how it goes!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, evil. I’ve always had good results with Meguires. I also like that orange bottle “NuCar”. I use it more as a undercoat before the top (carnuba) wax coat. Lays out a nice foundation for the top coat.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
7360BB01-8D0D-43D4-BEDC-ABD4C34B81E7.jpeg My very first try at clay barring. I thought it wise to have a go at my trucks tailgate first. Besides, it’s silver, so pretty hard to screw that up compared to black. Came out super clean and smooth as glass. Just used wash bucket suds/water as lube for the clay art. Worked fine.
I know it’s hard to tell before/after, but trust me, it feels brand new again. Not that it was in horrible shape because I am pretty OCD about washing/waxing my vehicles.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
View attachment 9604 My very first try at clay barring. I thought it wise to have a go at my trucks tailgate first. Besides, it’s silver, so pretty hard to screw that up compared to black. Came out super clean and smooth as glass. Just used wash bucket suds/water as lube for the clay art. Worked fine.
I know it’s hard to tell before/after, but trust me, it feels brand new again. Not that it was in horrible shape because I am pretty OCD about washing/waxing my vehicles.
its funny how clay works. I am sure I am not the only person that the first time you heard it you thought someone was pulling your leg and didn't understand how it could make a bit of difference. You will never wax your car again with out first going over it with clay... To save time I wash the car but don't dry it, and then go over it with the clay and the soapy water to rinse it all off. After you hit the whole car you really only need to hit the high traffic areas.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg I’m getting there... Managed to get the top, A and pillars done plus the mirrors before the wind started coming up. Note: I have to cover the mirrors or the birds land on them and peck away, thinking it’s another bird. Wonder if that’s where the phrase “bird brain” comes from?!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
View attachment 9647 I’m getting there... Managed to get the top, A and pillars done plus the mirrors before the wind started coming up. Note: I have to cover the mirrors or the birds land on them and peck away, thinking it’s another bird. Wonder if that’s where the phrase “bird brain” comes from?!
I would suggest getting a cat but then you will have paw prints on the car outside and vomit on the carpet inside.... I might have to go with plan b, shotgun!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do have a box of birdshot. Oh wait... andI do have an outside cat named “Baby”.
Birds outside; rats in the shop where dogs sleep... nothing! Baby don’t hunt!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.