ReplicaR's daily/AutoX build thread Ver. G37S

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Next up in the mod list is something that's really small and kinda stupid, but I just can't help it, if it tickles me in the right way inside. It's the start button from GTR. It's same exact button as my stock start button, works the same exact way, but while mine is white, this one is red... Everyone always says, don't press the red button. Well, I wanna press the red button damn it!!!

2z8dd6x.jpg

Reaction score
Next up in the mod list is something that's really small and kinda stupid, but I just can't help it, if it tickles me in the right way inside. It's the start button from GTR. It's same exact button as my stock start button, works the same exact way, but while mine is white, this one is red... Everyone always says, don't press the red button. Well, I wanna press the red button damn it!!!

2z8dd6x.jpg

i want a write up for personal reasons

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Not much to write up really. It plugs into factory harness, and is direct swap. I'll take pictures once it's installed.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
The button is in. Thanks to youtube video of how to install it, I went in pretty well prepared, and wasn't in complete darkness when it was time to install it. Swapped out the LED backlights, because the lights for Nissan are orange, and Infiniti is white, so it should be the same color as the rest of the interior lighting.

2lm474k.jpg

120lbx4.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Few more upgrades are coming to the daily drive to make it more fun to drive and more of my idea what it should have been like from the factory.

1. Hotchkis Front Sway bar: I found a front sway bar on CraigsList for G37 AWD model that was made by Hotchkis. The bar is adjustable, and is about twice as stiff as OEM Sport package bar, and has two adjustability settings, so it will allow to play around with the balance. Here is the catch however: Hotchkis has two models for G37. One bar for RWD and one bar for AWD. I've compared the two, and the specs are the same. The only difference is that while RWD bar is perfectly flat, the AWD bar droops a little in the middle to clear some components of drivetrain in the front. Will AWD bar fit on a RWD model? I guess I'll find out.

2. K&N Cold Air Intake: The intakes on these cars are ungodly expensive, and especially the ones which are 50 state legal. Since I live in California, I didn't want to deal with swapping intakes every time I need to smog the car, so I was looking for K&N kit in particular, and I found one on ebay for about half of what it costs new. It's complete, and looks good, so I had no reservations about buying it. Once I install it, I will get the CARB sticker from K&N, and I'm pretty much set at that point. K&N has a dyno sheet where they claim between 10 and 14 rwhp across the range, so should be a pretty solid gain.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Next update to this car is the K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake(s) (there two of them, since twin throttle body intake). I was kinda in the market for easy to install and smog legal bolt-ons for this car, and routine check on ebay delivered the goods.

3005mv9.jpg

This intake is not only 50 state smog legal, but according the to dyno sheets on K&N site, proves noticeable performance gains across the entire powerband. The intake is lightly used, but is in great condition, and nearly half the price of new. It is missing the push pins for to mount the heat shields. I'll either reach out to the previous owner, and see if they still have it, and if not, I'll call K&N and see if they can send replacements, since those seem like universal parts. One more thing I might do, is I might clean and reoil the filters, because I like that red filter look.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Well, installed the intakes this morning and took it for quick spin around the block for some impressions. Couple of things right off the bat:

1. K&N Engineering and Fitment: Everything fits together like a well engineered kit, which it really is. I think I will shorten the PVC hose on the passenger side, but other than that, it came together like a champ. Add to it that the kit is smog legal in California, and it's a definitive win.

2. Driving Impressions: I can't really feel if the car is any faster to be honest. The torque is super flat on these cars, and claimed gain is across the powerband, so it's hard to tell if the car really is faster at all. I want to say that it feels peppier, but I could be wrong. The sound though is a big difference. You can't tell anything at normal driving or idle, but as soon as you get into it, it gets a LOT louder. At about 6k rpm plus, it starts to drone a bit, and makes some of the dash pieces vibrate. Not a big fan of that, but maybe I'll get used to it. I'll call K&N on monday and ask them if what I'm experiencing is normal.

flwrx1.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I figured it would get a good deal louder. Not sure about the vibrations though. Nice work!

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I was looking at the picture of the intake installed, and being a bit anal, decided that I need to rotate the filters to hide the bent filter fins and seams, remove the chassis mounting brackets for old air boxes, and rotate some of the clamps so that the bolts are all aligned. Oh and also received CARB sticker, so now it's fully smog legal.

flvims.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the car overall. It ticks all the boxes I need pretty well, especially as it's going through the transformation to my vision of what G37S sedan should have been from the factory.

On a side note, someone in a Focus ST tried to race me the other day. Needless to say, it wasn't pretty for him. With roughly 100 hp and huge traction advantage, I pulled away from him much harder than I thought I would have. One good thing about this motor (VQ37VHR) is that while the torque is not that high, 269 tq to be exact, it is super flat and available everywhere. Makes the car feel kinda slow, until you look at the speedometer and realize that you're moving much faster than you thought you were.

In about a month, I'm going to SCCA practice day, supposed to be about 12 runs or so. I'm planning on running the sedan, to see how the tires have changed it. [MENTION=19482]B.mad[/MENTION] is coming as well, so it should be interesting as to who will post a quicker lap time.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think the G37 is much better setup to throw low lap times than the Mustang lol. They are definitely fun to drive. Your explanation of how the car "feels" is pretty spot on.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Every infiniti i've driven (two to be exact) have been really loud on the inside.... like they didnt insulate the wheel wells at all..

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
A little while back I bought a sway bar for the car off craigslist. It was the Hotchkis 35mm adjustable front sway bar, but it was for AWD models. When I looked at the installation instructions, the RWD and AWD sway bars looked pretty much the same, except the center section on AWD bar would sag just a bit to clear all the AWD components. Everything else seemed to be the same, so I decided to take a chance on it. As I found out yesterday, it's too narrow. The chassis brackets don't line up, and even if they did I would not be able to connect end links, because they would not stretch this far. The good news is, I got the bar for only 60 dollars, and seeing how the new one goes for around 200, I should have no problem getting my money back. I'm going to SCCA practice day in 3 weeks, stay tuned for that.

28bb79c.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
It's fine. I'll flip it probably for what I paid for it. And in a few months, I'll probably buy both front and back bars, depending on what the balance will feel like at the autox

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online