ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Engine Rebuild*

wmfateam

Reaction score
Update: So I ran the autoX event about two weeks ago, just to see how the new changes have affected it. I am very happy to report that all of the upgrades are working rather well. The Ron Davis radiator has been keeping the car nice and cool, weight reduction could be felt in every aspect of the car, since it was both faster and handled better. Finally, the biggest difference came from the differential upgrade. Understeer, what was left of it is completely gone. I am finally at the point where I can drive the car with throttle, get on the power earlier, and stay on it hard, even though the back may be sliding a bit. Torsen T2R definitely feels much better to me than the Ford Trak-Lok with FRPP clutches. Next up on the list of things to do are the following items:

1. Corner balance the car: Feels like the balance is off. Whenever I break the rear loose, it always pitches me in one direction, so I'm pretty sure there is some corner balance issues, one wheel having more traction than the other for sure. I will also check the axle location, make sure that panhard rod is adjusted correctly.

2. Comfort: I will install aluminum floor plates in the footwell of the car, to make the floor more even, and just a nicer place to be. I will also do something about the pedals, because they are very slippery, and do not inspire a lot of confidence while braking hard.

3. Overflow Bottle for Power Steering Pump: I have sealed the power steering cap, and tapped it with a long line and a breather. No issues so far, but I want to add a larger reservoir above the cap, so I can control the level from there.
That power steering idea sounds like a great idea. I always have power steering fluid everywhere after a weekend at the track.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
whats done to your motor? 331? what heads cam etc?

TFS R intake manifold, AFR 185 street heads, FTI custom cam. It could have made more power peak, but the engineer at FTI wanted to give me torque everywhere, so that's why I come into 300 rwtq at 2000 rpm. The cam was speced out with the thought that I had 3.08 gears, which I don't anymore.

that seems heavy for all that weight removed? car and driver has the curb weight of a 94-95 gt as 3,280 bone stock, even a heavy convertible and cobras with largers 17 inch rims bigger brakes fully loaded / leather seats was rated 3,300-3400lbs tops.

My initial car weight in was 3340 with full tank completely stock. Over time the addition of bigger wheels, bigger brakes, torque arm (heavy as ****), panhard bar, bigger radiator, oil cooler, brake cooling ducts, heavier suspension pieces... At it's heaviest, the car was 3420 lbs with full tank of gas. I would say to have it at 3140 is quite an accomplishment, and it definitely feels it too.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
That power steering idea sounds like a great idea. I always have power steering fluid everywhere after a weekend at the track.

Yeah, it's incredibly annoying, not to mention that it could be harmful to power steering pump, and affect braking (hydroboost). And it makes a mess.

hottwheels04

Reaction score
TFS R intake manifold, AFR 185 street heads, FTI custom cam. It could have made more power peak, but the engineer at FTI wanted to give me torque everywhere, so that's why I come into 300 rwtq at 2000 rpm. The cam was speced out with the thought that I had 3.08 gears, which I don't anymore.

My initial car weight in was 3340 with full tank completely stock. Over time the addition of bigger wheels, bigger brakes, torque arm (heavy as ****), panhard bar, bigger radiator, oil cooler, brake cooling ducts, heavier suspension pieces... At it's heaviest, the car was 3420 lbs with full tank of gas. I would say to have it at 3140 is quite an accomplishment, and it definitely feels it too.

yeah makes sense, either way that is light. look how heavy the new mustangs are, 3600-3800+lbs. I remember when they went from the 2800-3200lb foxbodys to the sn95 and everybody freaked out about 50-100lbs added weight over comparable fox lol

nice setup, yeah maybe a diffrent cam? you will pick up a good 20 hp I would assume, my 306 with a ported trickflow track heat and ported track heat trickflow heads a comp cam long tubes etc, put down 360rwhp/320torque. I can see your setup good for 380-400rwhp on a 331. with alot more torque then my car.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
[MENTION=17526]Pete@FTR[/MENTION], look at all that room for sponsorship stickers...
2016-05-31.png

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Your project has come a long way in the last 5 years, sir. Heh, out of everything you have going on here, I am jealous of the fact you still have tail pipes. I'm installing Pete's watts link soon and I had to ditch them. Major headache...

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Yeah, the tips were a must, since the car was a daily at the time. It took a few trips to exhaust shop to get them to fit perfectly, but now there is no interference with the suspension or chassis, which is great. At this point the car is a track car, so at some point I'm actually looking to get rid of the tail pipes in favor of dual into single pipe and dump it on the side through rocker panel. That's further down the line however, so that's something that I can wait.

Reaction score
fishing for sponsorships....

image.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
So long original Cobra R wheels. Hopefully your new owner [MENTION=21420]codfod[/MENTION] will put you to good use like I did.

2v9umg6.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
So how competitive are you in the classes /events you've run?

TT is such a crapshoot, depending on your field. The number classes are very stiff competition, hence the new changes coming. Plus, in our region, there is little to no policing of modifications on TT cars. So there are some politics here and there. And, here lately, getting a TT license seems to be an act of god.

I enjoy the W2W side of competition, TT was fun but continually managing traffic and listening to the fast cars complaining about slow cars got old. But don't do W2W if you can't handle a little contact here and there. Is AI or CMC even alive in CA? One of our local racers bought a CMC Mustang that came from CA a few weeks ago. Seller said CMC is dead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CBR51Stang

Members online