ReplicaR's Time Trial Mustang build *Engine Rebuild*

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I’ve been trying to knock out some of the free and cheap things on the list. I decided to tackle the following things on this round of fixes and changes.
1. Replace the damaged tire: As I’ve mentioned before, one of the spindle bolts got loose, and tire ended up making contact with the coilover perch, grooving the sidewall in the matter of maybe 1000 feet of driving. I ended up going to Americas Tire, and they prorated the tire for about half the price, so better than paying for a brand new one all out of pocket. As you can see by the picture below, the damage was pretty substantial.

IXSN0VA.jpg

2. Power steering pump replacement: After the hydroboost conversion was completed, I didn’t get a chance to test it successfully, because the pump failed pretty much immediately (lol go MotorCraft). I’ve taken the bad pump off, and installed a replacement from AutoZone, positioned the return line neck in the correct direction, so that it wouldn’t kink the line, and fired it up. After the system was bled, the steering felt great immediately, and so did the brakes. Finally I felt like I’ve had OEM quality pedal feel. Who would have known that doing a hydroboost swap would mean that I would have to take the entire system (power steering pump, hydroboost unit, pedal box). I’ve taken the car around the block in normal driving, and even got on the brakes pretty hard, and it felt pretty good, so it’s definitely a step in the right direction.

8p2AUiT.jpg

3. Proper battery hold-down: I’ve had the shop owner fabricate a mount for the battery for me, when I moved it back under the hood. He ended up making this concoction out of sheet metal and silicone, which make it kinda hard to work on the car. I went on google and immediately found a correct hold down specifically for the Odyssey PC680MJ, and it was only 35 dollars. Bought it, used self tapping screws to mount it on the side of the fender where the factory battery used to be.

qF7RGQo.jpg

4. Different drive seat: For as long as I’ve had the Sparco Circuit 2 seat, the halo part made it very difficult to drive on the street. Changing lanes became a trustfall exercise more than anything else. If I tilted my head in the right direction, I would be able to get glimpse of what’s on the other side, but it was very inconvenient. I ended up taking out the Circuit 2 and selling it. As a replacement seat, I’ve installed Sparco Ergo. Ergo still keeps the halo bolsters, however they are detachable, which means that I can drive the car on the street and to the track without having giant blind spots.

rGsibmn.jpg

LcZaDHk.jpg

XSNpBtr.jpg

5. LED dash lighting: I’ve decided to swap out the stock bulbs in the gauges and HVAC controls to green LED. I’ve had Autometer GS series gauges, which are already LED backlit, and the stock gauges never quite matched in both brightness or the shade. The new LED bulbs have changed that significantly. The brightness and shade of the gauges is a very close match, and that’s something I can live with for $6.99 shipped from Amazon.

1oGVX22.jpg

And of course, the gratuitous cute daughter pictures.

mc0SG5j.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
are you aware its not recommend to mount an agm battery under they hood? They do not like heat.

I was not aware of that, however this model is MJT, which per Odyssey website, has a metal jacket to protect against heat and vibration. The mount acts like a heat shield as well. Honestly, I'm not worried about it. I've had the battery under the hood for 2 years now, no issues with it yet.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your daughter is adorable. Definitely get her into cars as early as possible!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Look at that cutie!

Good stuff here man. Really glad the brake setup is finally working out. Hopefully that is all ironed out.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Yeah, next thing to get on top of is the brake pad performance. I'm not feeling the confidence out of CarboTech pads, even the aggressive compound. Maybe adding some cooling ducts would help, but with semimetallic compound I didn't have to run anything at all. Another option I might consider is trying the pads with slotted rotors, just to see if I could get away with that. I've got another set of extremely aggressive CarboTech pads on the shelf, so that might be another option for me. I will try the slotted rotors front and back first, and then go from there.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, next thing to get on top of is the brake pad performance. I'm not feeling the confidence out of CarboTech pads, even the aggressive compound. Maybe adding some cooling ducts would help, but with semimetallic compound I didn't have to run anything at all. Another option I might consider is trying the pads with slotted rotors, just to see if I could get away with that. I've got another set of extremely aggressive CarboTech pads on the shelf, so that might be another option for me. I will try the slotted rotors front and back first, and then go from there.

When you find pads you really like let me know, I don't want to have to run through as many as you lol!

I definitely need to get some better pads though

Tillerman77

Reaction score
Which semi-metallic pads have you used and liked?

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Which semi-metallic pads have you used and liked?

I've had PFC-01s, and they were amazing, really consistent performance, but they are very expensive. They didn't even require cooling ducts. That's on the Brembo caliper. I've also had Portefield R4 on the Cobra Kit, and they were OK, nothing to write home about.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Yay, more spending. Coming soon.

AsiF6yG.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Had a picture of the Mustang taken with a car model.

SxUf07P.jpg

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
So, I took the car to a different shop for tuning. The previous tuner didn't work out for me, because driveability was terrible. Here is the list of what I left the car with.

1. Tune Issues:
    1. Open loop tuning - The car is tuned in open loop for all operations, including idle and partial throttle. Makes is unadaptive in those conditions and hurts driveability. The idle and partial throttle should be using Closed Loop tuning maps with reference to O2 sensors.
    2. High idle - Idle is currently set to about 1300 rpm in order to cope with driveability issues, needs to be just a bit under 1000 rpm.
    3. Stall during high electrical loads - Whenever the fan kicks on, the idle speed will dip too low and the car will stall, most likely due to open loop tuning for idle
    4. Stall during low speed maneuvering - While parking and operating brakes and steering, the often stalls, most likely due to open loop tuning for idle
    5. Stall during cold idle - When the car is first fired up, it’s very touchy, difficult to move around, and stalls quite easily, most likely due to open loop tuning for idle
    6. Stall during idle rev spike - When the throttle is spiked, the idle will dip too low upon return, and stall, most likely due to open loop tuning for idle
  2. Things to Keep in Mind:
    1. Road Racing - This car is primarily used for road racing and track events. The tune must be safe enough not to have detonation issues with pump 91 octane. I’d prefer not to have to mix gasoline and have inconsistent mixtures.
    2. Driveability - The car is still driven on the street to and from the events, and it’s extremely tiring to always pay attention to what the engine is doing, since it stalls far too easily. Please pay attention to driveability, make it as streetable as possible.
    3. Hydroboost Conversion - The car has been converted to hydroboost system from a 96-04 V8 Mustang to keep up the brake demands. Since the 94-95 Mustang never came with hydroboost, this may create some issues for idle, but nothing that shouldn’t be tunable.
    4. Before and After Numbers - Please make a couple of passes on the current tune, so I could have a point of reference as far as the numbers go of where it started and where it will be after the tuning is complete.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sucks your old tuner could not figure that stuff out as it doesn't sound like anything crazy. Are you sure there was not a different issue that was causing a problem? I had a similar issue after a tune and it took a while to find the smallest crack in the dist cap that after replacing it all went away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online