Rio Red 98 GT Build

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Its not a burnout video per say, but it was fun lol. Ill get more footage soon.

[video=youtube;XMDZP-Xoz_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDZP-Xoz_c[/video]

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Would love to go auto. Would help me out alot at the track. Sounds real good.

Automatic is the way to go, for sure! Ill build you one lol. In that video, my rev limiter was set too low. It should have been set to 7200 but somewhere in the mix it got changed.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Automatic is the way to go, for sure! Ill build you one lol. In that video, my rev limiter was set too low. It should have been set to 7200 but somewhere in the mix it got changed.

Haha i might have to take you up on that sometime.. And yeah I saw it get to about 6k and was like, I know this thing will go way higher...

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ok, so I decided I wanted to change up from these ebay headers and try something of better quality. I found a guy selling ARH headers & x-pipe on corral. They were brand new, never been ran and less than half price. I also got my gas tank cover installed. I think it came out pretty cool and will look much better when I get the black letters in the bumper.

Untitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

So I got it back up on the rack and started yanking the exhaust.

Also got a stifflers crossmember

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
It still need some tuning, but I’m really happy with how it’s working right now. How is yours coming along these days? I haven’t been seeing you on here much.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
It still need some tuning, but I’m really happy with how it’s working right now. How is yours coming along these days? I haven’t been seeing you on here much.

It sounded healthy so hopefully tuning won't be that much of a headache. Mines been idle with a hellacious vacuum leak/ miss I've been trying to pinpoint. I'm pretty sure it's the IAC. I spent most of my time running to get myself faster this winter so the mustang has been priority #2, planning to spend time on the car in April though.

Good luck on the new header install, that's if you're not done with it already!

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
It sounded healthy so hopefully tuning won't be that much of a headache. Mines been idle with a hellacious vacuum leak/ miss I've been trying to pinpoint. I'm pretty sure it's the IAC. I spent most of my time running to get myself faster this winter so the mustang has been priority #2, planning to spend time on the car in April though.

Good luck on the new header install, that's if you're not done with it already!

Do you have any way to do a smoke test to find the vacuum leak? When you do start putting some more tim in to it, is like to see you in here some more and posting some pictures.

Also, yes, the headers are already installed and have been for a couple days. I’m doing some work to the midpipe, I’ll go over all that with my next post and show some pictures.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Do you have any way to do a smoke test to find the vacuum leak? When you do start putting some more tim in to it, is like to see you in here some more and posting some pictures.

Also, yes, the headers are already installed and have been for a couple days. I’m doing some work to the midpipe, I’ll go over all that with my next post and show some pictures.

My buddy works at a shop a few miles away, he said if I want to limp it over on a Sunday he could hook it up to a smoke machine. Once the salt is off the road I think that'll be my plan. I need to start a build thread some day and keep the motivation going.

Im looking forward to seeing the exhaust setup, I love the way long tubes sound on your car. I think we all hope to see another video too!

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
That gas tank cover looks great. I'm also a fan of the Stifflers cross member, I have one on the Cobra.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ok, so the headers went right in. They fit much better than the old headers did. These are not touching the body and have good starter clearance. I did have to unbolt the engine mounts and jack up the engine to get the passenger side header in.

Got those in and quickly realized why ARH says they only fit 99-04 gt. The crossmember for the transmission is much different and thats just what gets in the way for the 96-98 cars. So, I came up with a solution. Maybe not the best, definitely not the worst. I had to notch the midpipe tubes around the crossmember. Maybe itll add some torque with the little bit of backpressure it added lol.

I cut holes in them.
41079755711_34e66a32a8_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

Made cardboard templates
27207638848_06612312f4_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

41079755491_0eb37d1c9b_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

27207638898_4ef9c0dbea_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

Cut those out and transferred it to a sheet of scrap stainless I got from the neighbor.
40370717824_fbb3f2643c_o.jpg by William Luketich, on Flickr

Snipped those out and folded the ends
41079754581_09ed847569_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

Install and weld. Tomorrow is clean up
41079756271_cf0aa3c2c8_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

26208648597_edb26d02a2_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

Now it fits
27207917098_d7c4e3164d_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

40371015584_6f89cb8f2c_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

40371014834_4b97b0945b_o.jpgUntitled by William Luketich, on Flickr

X pipe fits great now

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Uuuuhhhhhh?!?!? That seems like a big reduction in flow.

Do you not think it will cause a loss of flow on the top end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Uuuuhhhhhh?!?!? That seems like a big reduction in flow.

Do you not think it will cause a loss of flow on the top end?

Its not as bad as the pictures make it look. It’s about 2-2 1/4” in the squished area. Motortrend did a video piece on header clearancing and it doesn’t make as big of a difference as you might think.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its not as bad as the pictures make it look. It’s about 2-2 1/4†in the squished area. Motortrend did a video piece on header clearancing and it doesn’t make as big of a difference as you might think.

I get that. I’ve seen pics before when my buddy would do similar stuff and it looked like a major reduction but then I’d head over and see it in person and it’s not that bad.

But the pics definitely make it look bad!! Lol

The work looks good though.

FinnCobra

Reaction score
I'd try to use hydraulic press to make pipes oval shape. I don't think that effect in power is big on both ways, but would look nicer imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConnorBlue4Mustang

Members online

No members online now.