Rod knock/spun bearing

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Drain the oil through a paint filter. Usually a bearing will leave glitter in the oil. A lot easier than pulling the pan too.

FWIW, when I swapped pans in my 01 I just raised the engine. I didn't drop the k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Just to update everyone I've not done much on the engine side of things due to the heater core popping. The new one is in but I still need to put the dash back.
Plus I'm still sorting the suspension out, the front has a nice drop on it now but the back end is still to highIMG_20200222_115252.jpg IMG_20200222_113727.jpg

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Well here's some photos of what I found in the oil and filter. Now when I drained the oil into a bucket and shined a touch into it I still couldn't see any shiny bits but once I filtered it all out I found what's in the photo. Now there are two piles, the pile on the left is non magnetic and the pile on the right is. I've put a 5 pence piece next to the magnetic pile I have no idea what type of coin you lot have in the states that's the same size as a UK 5 pence piece Screenshot_20200306_150242_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20200306_150232_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20200306_150150_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20200306_150203_com.android.gallery3d.jpg Screenshot_20200306_150242_com.android.gallery3d.jpg [

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Now I've unbolted the sump but I can't get it out. What else need to be done to remove it?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised, that is almost unheard of from a well maintained and pampered 4.6L.
But yeah, id find an Explorer engine as a drop in, unless youre going forged.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Engine has 46 000 ish miles on it, oil change once a year and I've never raced it but can't talk for the previous Owers.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
We're not saying anything bad about you. Its just the nature of these engines unfortunately. It's the main reason I run 7 quarts instead of 6 in mine. A friend of mine is on his second engine because the first one randomly started tapping.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Get a block of wood and put it under the crank pulley and jack up an inch and wiggle out the oil pan.
Then wiggle each connecting rod back and forth and tap them up and pull down with a soft hammer to find the bad rod..
Then change out all the rods bearings anyway because you are there.. easy to do, it will take you about 6 hours on your back on the cold ground.
You will have to polish the crank on the bad rod if there is damage.
Do not get bearings first, the crank might need some polishing on all the throws and you can get +.001 bearings for the same price.
You are competent to do this and it is easier that the heater core to do.
If the timing cover is off get a new oil pump but if not pull the oil pick up tube off and clean it inside and out or just get the 3V pump with billet gears and the big 15/16 pick up..
Which by the way I have used laying around..

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Tell me move about this 3v oil pump mod.
So you recommend I pull all the rod bearings firs and inspect the crank before buying the bearings. How easy is it to polish the crank and with what?
Sorry if that sounds like a bum question but this is all new to me

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The oil pumps from a 3V fit fine and are 1mm thicker rotors in them for more volume, the 15/16 pick up tube is larger than the 7/8 tube on the 12mm wide pump.
There is a chance that the junk you found has damaged the power metal gears in your pump or are from your pump.
I think you could find information on YouTube about polishing the crank..
you take some crocus cloth strips and wrap it around the throw and wrap a shoe string around the the sand paper twice, when you pull on the ends back and forth the sand paper rolls around the throw 360 evenly polishing it. the bearings are sold +.001 made for hand polishing the crank.
This is the right size..-.026mm please pay attention to the decimal point position.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...hc,1134223,engine,connecting+rod+bearing,5212

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The oil pumps from a 3V fit fine and are 1mm thicker rotors in them for more volume, the 15/16 pick up tube is larger than the 7/8 tube on the 12mm wide pump.
There is a chance that the junk you found has damaged the power metal gears in your pump or are from your pump.
I think you could find information on YouTube about polishing the crank..
you take some crocus cloth strips and wrap it around the throw and wrap a shoe string around the the sand paper twice, when you pull on the ends back and forth the sand paper rolls around the throw 360 evenly polishing it. the bearings are sold +.001 made for hand polishing the crank.
This is the right size..-.026mm please pay attention to the decimal point position.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...hc,1134223,engine,connecting+rod+bearing,5212

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well that link did not pull up the actual bearing you need, please know the difference between -.026 and -.26 mm both are common.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You are looking for rod bearings that are one thousand smaller. Some will list it as -.001" some will list it in mm as -.026 both are the same but I do not know how comfortable using metric

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Right got the sump off but what am I looking for?
All the rods move forward and backwards on the crank but none of them move up and down and show play. Also when I took the sump of this was loose, is it for the pick up tube? IMG_20200307_112141.jpg

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Answered my own question yes it's the pick up stud. I must of losen it when I took the pick up off.
Anyway can someone please tell me are the rod bolts reusable or are they once use stretch bolts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online