round 2 with lowering springs

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i got the car up on jackstands right now, and im letting the pb blaster soak into the sway bar end links, hopefully i can do this today without any problems

S

scarface

GOOD LUCK!!! O0 Its a fairly easy job, you should be fine.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i would be fine if all the bolts werent rusted shut, the sway bar end link came off perfectly after i soaked it in pb blaster, but i forgot to soak the tie rod nut and that wasnt happening. I just put it all back together, tomorrow ill just take all the tires off and soak all the bolts that need to be taken off, then let them soak it in, and it will loosen it up. That pb blaster does wonders though, cause my end links woulndt budge when i tried it before, but after soaking them for like 1 hour it came off with ease. But ill get it lowered eventually

Passenger

Reaction score
Soak every damn nut you see under there that is even close to where you will be working, just incase you forget other bolts.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
Passenger said:
Soak every damn nut you see under there that is even close to where you will be working, just incase you forget other bolts.
o yeah

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
get a huge ass breaker bar, its like the bestest tool ever behind the BFH. 8)

m0n0x1d3

Reaction score
Try puttin another wrench on the wrench you are using, it makes a great quick breaker bar.

I know it sounds like common sense, but it has worked for me coutless times even when my breaker bar wouldn't make a stuck bolt budge. A buddy of mine showed me and i felt pretty dumb never thinking about it before. Just a thought.

GL man, and remember if it still wont budge, MAP gas torches are your friend. ;)

waltnono

Reaction score
m0n0x1d3 said:
Try puttin another wrench on the wrench you are using, it makes a great quick breaker bar.

I know it sounds like common sense, but it has worked for me coutless times even when my breaker bar wouldn't make a stuck bolt budge. A buddy of mine showed me and i felt pretty dumb never thinking about it before. Just a thought.

GL man, and remember if it still wont budge, MAP gas torches are your friend. ;)

Yup, i always have a 3 foot piece of galvanized pipe for an extra cheater.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i got a breaker bar and i was using it the whole time, its just that the tie rod nut is in a place where a breaker bar is too big to use, and i broke a ratchet yesterday on it

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
why are you even messsing with the tie rods? you can leave them how they are, you need to take of the sway bar though....and you have to hold the nuts on the bottom side while you turn the tops.

S

scarface

if you dont take off the nut from the tie rod he wont be able to get the control arm to drop down enough to get the springs out.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
scarface said:
if you dont take off the nut from the tie rod he wont be able to get the control arm to drop down enough to get the springs out.
hahahaha yeah i figured that out yesterday when i tried it

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
scarface said:
that sucks for him then, because i left mine on when i put on my springs.

ryclef331

Reaction score
you don't have drop the tie rods!

You can remove the inboard bolts of the a-arm where it connects from the k-member and drop the springs out like that. I know its unconventionaly but trust me when I say, its a MILLION times easier that dropping it from the outside. You just gotta be good with a jack to line it back up.

OP
OP
B

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
scarface said:
that sucks for him then, because i left mine on when i put on my springs.
so yours just dropped all the way with the tie rod connected?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
yep, it helps if you have two people...one to push the a-arm down a bit and the other to put the spring in. but that way is alot easier than trying to take of the tie-rod. and it may be that my spring is shorter than your is, what spring are you using?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001