School me on supercharging my 95

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Hello, I am about to install a kenne bell blowzilla on my 1995 5.0. The car has ported gt40 heads (with ARP head bolts and fel pro 1134 multi layer steel head gaskets) ported gt40 lower intake 1.7 crane (cobra rr) xe270hr camshaft, custom cai, 70mm maf and throttle body, bbk unequal length headers, magnaflow stainless catted x pipe, flow master 40 series catback.

I will be fabricating an intercooler setup for the kenne bell.

I am looking for advice, information or installation photos I can find.

I do not have installation instructions so if anyone has a set I would happily purchase them or a copy

This is the car where it began and where it is currently

c8c088eeeb67c8df0b3d4b9aa53c0d2f.jpg

69e9fe52b65cf28732557480d47b26d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the car also has 42lb injectors and a 255lph fuel pump

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Just a heads up, i noticed the 1.7rockers with a 270cam. Having positive pressure behind the valves may cause some upper rpm valve float. Im not saying it will, but keep it in mind. Their may be multiple repeats of this combo and runs mean for all i know.

Asides from that, your car looks great!!!

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Just a heads up, i noticed the 1.7rockers with a 270cam. Having positive pressure behind the valves may cause some upper rpm valve float. Im not saying it will, but keep it in mind. Their may be multiple repeats of this combo and runs mean for all i know.

Asides from that, your car looks great!!!

What can would you recommend?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if we have any pushrod Kenne Bell guys on here anymore. I love those kits but they are HARD to find.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
I've been running a Kenne Bell since 08 and have 30k on the setup. Learning how to get it right cost me a shortblock, albeit one I built to be fairly high compression. I run the 94 cobra cam with 1.7 roller rockers. It will run right through redline so I added an MSD with a rev limiter (a CD box is needed for the KB setup anyway) to keep me honest. I don't have an intercooler (not sure how you would plumb one in) so it took quite a bit of tuning to keep the motor happy. It gets hot and stays hot after spirited use.

I run the LMAF as I found I could peg the smaller ones and despite its size, metering is sufficient at lower RPMs, All in all I am happy with the setup and other than it being way too much power off the line (3:73s don't help) it pulls hard and is very low maintenance, just make sure you change the oil at the recommended interval and keep the belt tight.

Do you need a copy of the installation manual?

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score
I've been running a Kenne Bell since 08 and have 30k on the setup. Learning how to get it right cost me a shortblock, albeit one I built to be fairly high compression. I run the 94 cobra cam with 1.7 roller rockers. It will run right through redline so I added an MSD with a rev limiter (a CD box is needed for the KB setup anyway) to keep me honest. I don't have an intercooler (not sure how you would plumb one in) so it took quite a bit of tuning to keep the motor happy. It gets hot and stays hot after spirited use.

I run the LMAF as I found I could peg the smaller ones and despite its size, metering is sufficient at lower RPMs, All in all I am happy with the setup and other than it being way too much power off the line (3:73s don't help) it pulls hard and is very low maintenance, just make sure you change the oil at the recommended interval and keep the belt tight.

I appreciate all of the info, and your time to type it all out.
I would love a copy of the manual.

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score

Also, what happened to your short block?

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
Also, what happened to your short block?

Detonation happened. A chunk of piston scraped its way into the already thin (.060) walls on the original block. I was pushing it with 9.8 compression and 10lbs of boost. I bought a DSS shortblock during their "dark period" tore it down when it arrived, went through it (replaced/ground a few rings to keep gaps consistent and within spec) and have been running it ever since.

For what I was looking for the KB ended up being a great setup. I have pretty stock looking 94 (managed to keep the stock hood) that has working AC, a reasonable exhaust and spins through third with NT555 275s in the rear. I get 18mpg with mixed use if I behave.

I'll look for an electronic copy of the manual on my laptop. If I don't have one, I do have everything that came with the kit in a binder and will send you some pics.

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Detonation happened. A chunk of piston scraped its way into the already thin (.060) walls on the original block. I was pushing it with 9.8 compression and 10lbs of boost. I bought a DSS shortblock during their "dark period" tore it down when it arrived, went through it (replaced/ground a few rings to keep gaps consistent and within spec) and have been running it ever since.

For what I was looking for the KB ended up being a great setup. I have pretty stock looking 94 (managed to keep the stock hood) that has working AC, a reasonable exhaust and spins through third with NT555 275s in the rear. I get 18mpg with mixed use if I behave.

I'll look for an electronic copy of the manual on my laptop. If I don't have one, I do have everything that came with the kit in a binder and will send you some pics.

You’re the greatest!!!

Are you running forged pistons now or hyper?

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score
I have 3 cams that I am looking at.

2 are brand new in the box and 1 has 2500 kilometers on it.

1) brand new B303 cam $150 Canadian dollars

2) brand new comp cams xe270hr $200 Canadian dollars

3) E303 2500kms on it $150 Canadian dollars.

My question is. I have 1.72 roller rockers and am using be Kenne Bell supercharger. Am I best to just stick with the stock cam? Or which of these three would allow me the easier tunability and pass emissions?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
E303 was more of a blower spec’d cam. I’m not sure about the 270

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Since its a positive displacement charger, shoot for n/a oriented cam, but with a longer exhaust duration.

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Since its a positive displacement charger, shoot for n/a oriented cam, but with a longer exhaust duration.

These are the only cams that fall within the budget. Last option is to keep the stock cam and run it with the 1.72’s

I appreciate all of the help. Forced induction is a new concept to me.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t use the stock cam. Spend a little time researching the specs of common blower cams and move from there.

Learn about details such as duration and overlap. Cams are quite complicated but once you have a grasp of the details and why they make a difference then you will have a much better grasp on making power.

For example, big reason blower cams and turbo cams generally can’t be mixed. Lots of blower cams have a decent amount of overlap which regards to the amount of time that the intake valve and the exhaust valve are currently open together. For a blower it’s better to have more duration but with a turbo it limits the amount of boost you can build.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Spring rates, lift values all play a roll as well. Mix that in with higher ratio rockers and the situation changes. One scenario may be a deamon down low but die off on top where a completely different scenario will be the opposite. Valves floating at high rpm can be a benefit and can also destroy performance. ...this can go on forever. Camshafts and valve train can be a real head scratcher.

95opal

Reaction score
Id be more concerned with cooling the air charge than a cam. Kbs are heat monsters meth or intercooler would be a must. Heatsoak will cause more problems and rob more hp than a cam change will give you. Take it from the previous poster who destroyed his block.

OP
OP
1994stangfan

1994stangfan

Reaction score
Id be more concerned with cooling the air charge than a cam. Kbs are heat monsters meth or intercooler would be a must. Heatsoak will cause more problems and rob more hp than a cam change will give you. Take it from the previous poster who destroyed his block.

Already have an intercooler in the works. But while the engine is apart for head install I would like to swap the cam.

Suggestions are appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online