scidpro's Mystic Cobra #1906

scidpro

Reaction score
Been wanting create a build thread on my '96 Mystic for awhile now. Finally got around to it!

Mystic build number is #1906/2000

Brief History.

I purchased this car in July 2015 after searching for about 2 months for a new mustang after my 98 Mustang GT got totaled while i was sitting at a stop.
Came across this cobra on craigslist, few days later went to look at it and brought it home the same day! Car was previously wrecked, it does have an R Title unfortunately. Front Bumper was replaced and fender was replaced as well. Airbags did go off. Since the mystic paint got destroyed previous owner decided to two tone the car black/mystic. He did a horrible job with the paint runs all over the place, peeling and orange peel all over. Even the mystic paint he tried saving has lots of issues with clearcoat peeling to deep scratches. There's also a huge chunk of paint missing on the roof. The drivers side airbag was replaced with the regular mustang/gt airbag where it's just the horse so it doesn't say cobra. Passenger side airbag he installed isn't flush with the dash and hangs out. Tons of other things that could definitely be fixed up as well! But i personally think i got a great deal on it, talked the guy down to $3700. Had approx. 119,000 miles on it. Came loaded with aftermarket parts also. Coilovers, Aftermarket K-Member, Full Length Sub-Frame Connectors, Bama Tuner, 2 Sets of wheels/tires, pacesetter longtube headers/offroad x with Borla side exhaust. Also has svo style skirts, 2 Subs in the trunk, MM Caster Camber Plates, drilled and slotted rotors. LiveWires Spark Plug Wires. Screaming demon coils. EGR Delete. Steeda short throw shifter. Battery relocated to trunk. Sure there is more i am forgetting!

Anyways lets get to the good part.. pictures!

First day I brought it home! I didn't even bother to wash it before the pictures, I was way too excited

My side exhaust doesn't line up which you can see in some pictures, but better yet look at those stick on side vents!!! Yikes

I've personally always hated these style headlights as well!

Cracked Dash, also can see the passenger airbag sticking out alittle. Much more noticeable from drivers side!

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
First thing i had to fix on my cobra was putting on a new serpentine belt it was dry rotted from sitting for so long and literally ripped to shreds before i even got it home the first day!

Second thing i had to fix a few days later!

Soon realized i wasn't a fan of the Saleen S351 Wing at all so that had to go..

I also took off the svt cobra emblem and reinstalled the ford logo!

Went wingless for a week or so and then came across a black stock spoiler for $20 so i picked that up and put it on.

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
Next up.. new wheels!! My favorite 18x9/18x10.5 Rovos Durbans in Satin Silver! With new Nitto NT555's.

Also installed new 2 piece smoked headlights!

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
I also took off the red cobra bumper inserts and put in silver inserts. Changed the red fabric on the bottom of my door panels back to black. As well as the Rear Speaker deck.

Clean new sticker for the intake!

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
Most recently took off the black plasti dip on the hood and started wet sanding! I will be putting it in my brothers garage tomorrow to start taking it apart and sanding it down to get it ready to be re-painted all mystic!!! :headbang:

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Great job saving this car!!! Mystic is in my top favorite ford colors for sure. I like whats been done so far! Everything has improved it so far! Looks alot cleaner without the red ascents, that fake(?) s-351 wing looked weird on there, somthing looked off about it. Im happy with the way my s-351 wing looks on mine. The headlight change looks great.

- Notice your in Hershey! Not too far from me! I hope to be up your way in June for Ford Nationals at Carlisle.

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
Great job saving this car!!! Mystic is in my top favorite ford colors for sure. I like whats been done so far! Everything has improved it so far! Looks alot cleaner without the red ascents, that fake(?) s-351 wing looked weird on there, somthing looked off about it. Im happy with the way my s-351 wing looks on mine. The headlight change looks great.

- Notice your in Hershey! Not too far from me! I hope to be up your way in June for Ford Nationals at Carlisle.

Thanks man! It's actually my goal to have it at least repainted by then so i can enter! Also is there any way to tell if the S351 wing is fake? It was plasti-dipped in the pictures, when i took it off i was curious if it was painted mystic underneath so started taking off the plasti dip and found out why he plasti dipped it in the first place! Lol

I do plan on keeping the wing though and repaint it with the rest of the car. So i can switch it up if I ever get bored of the same look.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
It could be the dip that was throwing it off? - Hard to tell if its real, lots of replicas out there. Good idea to have it painted with the car. Hope to see you @ nationals man good luck!

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
Found a guy on craigslist parting out a Mystic Cobra, I asked him about the dash and steering wheel/airbag/passenger side airbag. He sent pictures and they were in immaculate shape, picked it all up for $400. So no more cracked dash and airbag sticking out. I got insanely lucky never thought i would find a dash in such good shape!

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
Also an update on the car, got it in the garage now and started to finally take it apart and start wet sanding!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
The interior pieces are in really good condition. Nice find!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I love that you are putting it back to all Mystic again. They are one of my favorite cars of all time and I have been seeing way too many for sale that have been neglected. I wish I had the time to rescue one like you are doing!

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have a ton of plans for it yet.. trying to find some stock side skirts now. Then i'm thinking of going with a catted h-pipe and Magnaflow Exhaust.

OP
OP
S

scidpro

Reaction score
I'm contemplating shaving off the antenna, door locks and trunk lock. To have that smooth, clean look. What are your guys opinions? Also if i shave off the antenna, i would buy one of those hidden antenna's for the car because i still do like to use the radio. Just nervous the reception will always be staticky, which would make the radio useless.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I'm contemplating shaving off the antenna, door locks and trunk lock. To have that smooth, clean look. What are your guys opinions?

That would look nice! Why not! A few have done it before. Maybe someone could find the pics? I plan on shaving my antenna when the time comes.

- Some have even smoothed the rear third brake light and the sides of rear bumper.

Also if i shave off the antenna, i would buy one of those hidden antenna's for the car because i still do like to use the radio. Just nervous the reception will always be staticky, which would make the radio useless.

My daily has a factory hidden antenna, its built into the windshield. Thing works amazing. If you find a good aftermarket company with a good reputation you should be fine.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Some have placed a shorty antenna inside the wiper cowl. There's plenty of room and if you secure it right it won't interfere. Plus it's minimal loss of reception.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online