Seeking advice on transportation of newly purchased vehicle

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
So I've been working as a middle man for my friend, [MENTION=19287]E22502[/MENTION], and [MENTION=14737]Hill x 21[/MENTION] the past few days due to my friend rarely getting on this site. My friend sent me out to find him a Mustang after I talked him into liking them. Hill contacted me via PM and I fell in love with his car. My friend loves it and is super excited to get it. The car leaves storage April 1st. That week me and my friend will shoot up to Hill, which is about a 30 minute drive, and check the car out, and return a separate time to buy it. The only problem is getting it from Mass to CT.
The car is currently registered but only has insurance coverage for theft and fire. What are my options for getting the car here? Towing is an option, yes. But that's $100 we don't have to spend. We obviously want to do it legally, and I'd imagine the car needs insurance to have temp tags, repair tags, or dealer tags on it. I think I know a guy who has repair dealer tags I can use.

So how would you do it? Do I need a special permit to cross the state border with the car? I have absolutely no experience here, except when my dad bought his car from Nebraska, but it was shipped here on a 18 wheeler through car max.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk

joekd

Reaction score
Other then towing/trailering it you really have one legal option, pay for the car, get title and bill of sale, insure it, then go to DMV and get a temp plate. Take the plate and drive the car home.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The legality behind this varies based on the state(s) you're in and driving through. Some states have temporary one-way registrations that you can buy. Some don't. The easiest (legal) solution is to just tow it, especially if you're crossing state lines. But, I don't have a car trailer and I'm too cheap to rent one. Whenever I buy a vehicle from out of state, I call my insurance company and give them the VIN and put liability insurance on it. Then I just put a plate from another car that I have on it and drive it back, carefully. (Illegal, but whatever.) When you bring a vehicle back from out of state, your BMV is probably going to require that you have a BMV employee and/or a police officer fill out a report to verify the VIN is correct before they'll do a title transfer or let you register it... so registering it before hand is usually not an option.

joekd

Reaction score
Unless they have changed in the last few yours Mass does not have an out of state transport temp plate, I looked into it before and only surrounding states that have it are NY + NJ

Another option which I have done myself, if the car is still registered in Mass and the last owner is ok with it you insure it yourself then drive home on their plates, once you get home mail them back

My 96 vert was registered in Cali, the lady said drive it till it expires so I did :) Drove it three months with my insurance but her registration and a letter explaining she was allowing me to use her plates

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
If Hill is cool with us using his plates and my friend is ready to insure the car come next month we might just do that last suggestion...
I wouldn't have a problem driving back 30 minutes to return the plates myself to him. But it sounds like my friend won't have the money to start insuring it until may.. So idk.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
You can rent a trailer from uhaul for about $50 if you need a trailer. Other than that I'm not sure where the extra $100 is coming from? You mean as in a tow truck? That shit would get expensive no doubt. See if a friend has an F150 or something you can borrow (since I know you're family has mustangs lol) and get a trailer from uhaul man. Tho when my buddy bought his Cobra from my buddy Jim, Jim just let us use the plates and we drove it home like that. I couldn't tell you if there was insurance on it or not, and we drove it an hour and a half home. You can get it home without insurance, you just have to be smart about it. And should you get pulled over just explain to the officer that you just bought it, show them the title and all that jazz, and hopefully be on your way. You have a few options man, legal and not..

Hill x 21

Reaction score
[MENTION=17876]DeepList[/MENTION] Not sure how CT works on out of state sales, but I bought my 99 GT out of CT, brought it up to Mass with no issues or hassle from the RMV.
[MENTION=11138]joekd[/MENTION] Hey man, long time no see! You're correct. To my knowledge Mass has no temp transport tags.
[MENTION=16906]KillNThrill24[/MENTION] I offered to them to have a buddy of mine with a F350 PSD haul it down instead of having them pay $65 plus just for a commercial company hooking it up. I guessed it would cost $100 give or take.

But yeah, [MENTION=18995]FivepointSlow[/MENTION], I just shot ya a PM with an update on the transport situation.

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Okay so the car will be moved from theft and fire coverage to theft fire and liability when it is taken out of storage. If I understand correctly.
So we will go meet hill to look at the car, give him some of the money, then he will drive the car down to us and we will give him the rest of the money and then sign the title and all that jazz.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cars are way to difficult in the states ... Shit you can buy a car and insure it in 2 mins here .... The seller gives you the vehicle registration it tears off on the bottom of your insurance papers . You sign transfer papers blah blah , go to a insurance agency and bam done . You don't get plates here with out insurance ... Plates are part of insurance here .

joekd

Reaction score
So we will go meet hill to look at the car, give him some of the money, then he will drive the car down to us and we will give him the rest of the money and then sign the title and all that jazz.

That works too, when we bought my daughter's car the last owner offered to drive it to us for $20 in gas money, she drove it here, took off her plates and then left to head home, I was more then happy to pay it to have the car home the same day

If it is on a weekend maybe we can have a "mini meet" and all go get 5 guys or something

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
That works too, when we bought my daughter's car the last owner offered to drive it to us for $20 in gas money, she drove it here, took off her plates and then left to head home, I was more then happy to pay it to have the car home the same day

If it is on a weekend maybe we can have a "mini meet" and all go get 5 guys or something

Talked to Hill and my friend. We're all down to meet at five guys. Maybe my car will be on the road by then... Probably not.. Lol

We'll all meet there and then after Hill will follow me and my friend to his house and do all the title crap.

joekd

Reaction score
Always up for some 5 guys, just let me know when and hopefully I can make it

OP
OP
FivepointSlow

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
It'll be around the beginning of April. Depends on when the car gets out of storage and when we can go up there to look at it. I'll keep you updated though, [MENTION=11138]joekd[/MENTION]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.