Shame302's Halfbreed, a look into a love affair. (56K go walk the dog)

Shame302

Reaction score
That was a gay title, wasn't it. Anyway. Hopefully this is okay. The build actually happned last winter. The awesome forum i had my build archived on proved to be unstable and well, was ultimately lost. I' like to introduce the project here up to its current state and update as things move on. Hopefully this is acceptable.

She started out as a beautiful laser red 2000 Mustang GT. She received a brand new '00 FRPP Cobra drive train. This guy was complete, intake to trans OPS. Enjoyed for a few years like that with minor changes tragedy struck when the wife and i were involved in an accident. (drunk driver/jeep). The car wasn't very badly damaged however due to its age, and the fact that the airbags deployed it was totaled. I contemplated repairing it. Decided against the branded title. Every time i saw a stang with a dark interior, i got a tad unhappy with my tan interior. I had at one point decided to make a change to black/charcoal interior. Pretty much that fact alone was enough for me to start looking for a 99-04 mustang with a dark interior in order to swap all of my parts into. It wasn't long before i found a freak add for a GT down in Connecticut, on autotrader. I decided to go take a look at it. The listing had it listed as a cobra package, 2000 GT in the color silver metallic. Looking at the pics i spied what looked exactly like a terminator, save for the automatic shifter, single din radio bezel and 99-00 console, and more telling the obvious 2V GT engine. BONUS! it has a Vortech SC. The kicker was, that it was described to have 19K miles and was listed for 10K. When i arrived at the GM dealership i was pleasantly surprised by an absolutely clean, mint mustang. I took her for a drive and was happy with the car, and the vision of me taking her apart. They showed me a ridiculous stack of receipts and paperwork regarding the car (adding to over 10 grand parts and labor) save for any of the body parts and work, wheels, tires, or brakes. All of the mechanical work was done at Mustang Magic in NY. A few phone calls and one unhappy wife later i was signing the paperwork on the car. Long story short, I stripped down the laser red car, brought the silver one "home", stripped it down and sold off everything that i didn't need off of the car. Now came to deciding on the color. I couldn't deal with silver. Heck, by best friend pulled into my driveway and didn't notice the "cobra" sitting there thinking it was my wife's silver alearo. I couldn't justify taking the time, effort and money only to paint it a factory ford color either, despite how much i loved the laser red. I thought of sonic blue but i've always loved "burnt orange". It was a quick and easy decision to go with Dodges "GO MANGO, or GO MAN GO" depending on how you look at it. I painted the engine bay and jambed the car up. Once that was done i could move on with the 4Valve conversion, paint the car and come spring time, drive it. It remained basically unchanged over the summer. This is pretty much where i am as of now.

100_2444.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

100_5139.jpg

100_5138.jpg

100_5137.jpg

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Nice. Look forward to actually seeing it done. Surprised you didn't run the cobra spoiler though

OP
OP
S

Shame302

Reaction score
Thanks. Technically its "done". I do plan on putting the vortech on it as well as a few other things with the hopes of eventually getting a forged SB. I personally don't car for the 03-04 cobra spoiler at all plus it didn't go with the look i wanted. The price they fetch alone made it the first thing i yanked off of the car.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
I don't blame you. It's a nice car, looks real well. I ended up posting before you posted the finish pics, or they just didn't load for me lol

wnracing

Reaction score
Good work.. Seems like kind of a crazy project, but it looks like it has turned out pretty good. Not the biggest fan of having Cobra emblems on a car that isn't really a Cobra, but I suppose for all practical purpose it kind of has been converted to an all out Fobra so that's cool.

You definitely get an A+ for effort, the paint work looks amazing and I assume based on the pics you did it all yourself. Bravo! :thumbsup:

1. Move that chin spoiler forward, looks really funky all tucked back like that.
2. Get the Mach1/Bullitt C-glass. I tried going that route too and it drove me insane, that's why I noticed it. :tongue3:
3. Im surprised you did all of that body work and kept the side scoops? Bullitt deletes, or shaved would look very nice.
4. I can't believe I'm saying this, because I hate wingless, but I think it would look better without the Mach spoiler.

dutch

Reaction score
awesome project!

What did you do with the terminator wing, hood and front bumper?

OP
OP
S

Shame302

Reaction score
THNX guys, i don't mind the critiquing at all.

Good work.. Seems like kind of a crazy project, but it looks like it has turned out pretty good. Not the biggest fan of having Cobra emblems on a car that isn't really a Cobra, but I suppose for all practical purpose it kind of has been converted to an all out Fobra so that's cool.

You definitely get an A+ for effort, the paint work looks amazing and I assume based on the pics you did it all yourself. Bravo! thumbsup

1. Move that chin spoiler forward, looks really funky all tucked back like that.
2. Get the Mach1/Bullitt C-glass. I tried going that route too and it drove me insane, that's why I noticed it. tongue3
3. Im surprised you did all of that body work and kept the side scoops? Bullitt deletes, or shaved would look very nice.
4. I can't believe I'm saying this, because I hate wingless, but I think it would look better without the Mach spoiler.

Well, i hate the pony emblems so those weren't going on. That's usually the only thing i get flamed for if somebody picks up on it but i really don't care truth be told. They look better and represent the cobra power under the hood so at least they are justified. Its not like its a V6 or GT car with cobra badging all over it. FWIW i never refer to the car as a cobra and anyone that asks, i tell them its a mustang, or a GT, or a swap car or what have you. I am considering shaving the emblems off of the fenders but i'm not sure yet. Id prefer the rear bumper not say cobra but i love the look of the 03-04 cobra rear bumper but when you shave the letters it makes that sexy bumper look funky. Again, it was one of those, "meh" shoulder shrug moments.

The Mach 1 chin spoilers don't fit the 01 cobra bumper all that well. I tried something a little bit different vs how it was on the red car. If you push it flush to the front it looks wicked stupid. The only thing i may change is scoot the left and right corners out more like it was on the red car.

The glass bothers me as well but where i sourced the pillars, the glass was busted out and i havnt really seen any deals on the glass. Its not worth the money. I figure i can throw some darker tint in there and that should hide it fairly well. People never notice it. It doesn't bother me all that much.

I don't like any of the other side scoops. I think these compliment the car the best. I almost used the 01 cobra scoops but didnt like what they did for the car.

I was considering wingless. I had considered it on the red car as well and tried it out. i ended up going back to the Mach spoiler. It compliments the shaker and doesn't look right without it. It will look much better when i tint the tails. They clash way too much with the orange.

awesome project!

What did you do with the terminator wing, hood and front bumper?
Thanks....I sold them all. Basically, after selling everything i didn't want or need the project cost me less than 300 dollars out of pocket over where i was prior to the accident.