Short belt for P/S, A/C and Smog delete WITH mechanical water pump?

JKady

Reaction score
Converting to manual steering, already have a/c and smog pump deleted with a short belt but wondering what others have done for belt routing while keeping the stock style water pump. My searching keeps turning up folks saying they did x-y-z with whatever belt but pictures that have been deleted/moved or no pics at all.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I might be misunderstanding this but why can't you just route a belt, pinch off the excess and mark it, pull it off and measure it? Then just get a belt that size.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
I might be misunderstanding this but why can't you just route a belt, pinch off the excess and mark it, pull it off and measure it? Then just get a belt that size.

Just looking for ideas since like most things to do with these cars I'm sure this has already been figured out. It's also raining sideways and I don't have any place to put the car under cover to experiment at the moment.

red94

Reaction score
with just a quick look at the belt diagram I would try and find a ribbed idler pulley. Not sure if the angle on the WP would be an issue or not. Looks to be the easiest option w/o going with some kind of additional idler or brackets.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
Yeah I'm trying to avoid having the big uggo power steering bracket left over just for an idler. I got a weather break and tried it without an idler though and it won't have enough tension against the water pump at least with stock pullies, might work with larger diameter underdrives.

red94

Reaction score
Well if you do that just remember your h2o pump spins the opposite direction than the crank.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
Well if you do that just remember your h2o pump spins the opposite direction than the crank.
Yeah actually considering seeing If I can come up with a standard rotation pump to fit the SN timing cover and just spinning it normally.

tommybunz

Reaction score
measure the length of the bracket where the idler goes, have a piece of aluminum cut to that length make a bracket, and drill a hole and tap it. or just run electric pump

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
measure the length of the bracket where the idler goes, have a piece of aluminum cut to that length make a bracket, and drill a hole and tap it. or just run electric pump
If it comes down to it I'll build one. And I'd rather not run an electric water pump 'cause street car.

Pushrodsnake

Reaction score
I was about to suggest using a standard rotation water pump and running an aftermarket bracket kit such as the March 30180 until I remembered that kit retails for about $460. Then again, the kit looks pretty clean and completely eliminates your stock brackets.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
I was about to suggest using a standard rotation water pump and running an aftermarket bracket kit such as the March 30180 until I remembered that kit retails for about $460. Then again, the kit looks pretty clean and completely eliminates your stock brackets.
March doesn't sell anything that works with the SN95 timing cover unfortunately and nice looking or not $460 bucks is not gonna happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online