Slicks or Drag Radials?

travis00

Reaction score
Im in need of some stickier tires and dont know what to get drag radials or a dot slick. Dont drive car much on the street maybe once or twice a month. I have been looking at some Hoosier Quicktime pro DOT Slicks 26x9.50x16. What do you think?
Mods:
flowmaster one chambers
xpipe
shorty headers
cai
100 shot

MustangMoser

Reaction score
seen a car drop .3 in the 8th on the same night switching to radials. plus w/ radials u dont have that rear end sway on the big end since they are stiffer.

Lee12609

Reaction score
got5.0 said:
nitto nt555r's... done.

HA, you HAVE to be kidding right?? nobody recommends the nittos, they are THE WORSE performing drag radial available. only advantage they have is less wear so they last longer.

OP, MT et streets will be your best bet.

OP
OP
T

travis00

Reaction score
what size MT et street?
Lee12609 said:
got5.0 said:
nitto nt555r's... done.

HA, you HAVE to be kidding right?? nobody recommends the nittos, they are THE WORSE performing drag radial available. only advantage they have is less wear so they last longer.

LAFENATU

Reaction score
Lee12609 said:
got5.0 said:
nitto nt555r's... done.

Are you talking at the track??

Nitto's work fine you just have to heat them up quite a bit. If you're not satisfied with the NT555R, the new nitto NTO5R is supposed to be compared to a MT Drag Radial.

Nittor_NT05R_1.jpg

Lee12609

Reaction score
LAFENATU said:
Lee12609 said:
got5.0 said:
nitto nt555r's... done.

Are you talking at the track??

Nitto's work fine you just have to heat them up quite a bit. If you're not satisfied with the NT555R, the new nitto NTO5R is supposed to be compared to a MT Drag Radial.

Nittor_NT05R_1.jpg

of coarse i'm talking about at the track. who talks about traction and street??? nobody gets in there car, does a burnout then goes driving down the road everytime they go somewhere.

nittos work fine YES, but NOBODY recommends them because they are the worse performing option out there.

Tbuck07

Reaction score
Having the same issue here..Wanting to put tires on some 16 inch pony rims, need something for the track without breaking the bank..found those nittos on ebay for 300 for the pair shipped, thought about doing that, but cant find any drag radials for the same price..Link me people! Pleeease.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
SLicks.... drag radials break more things, and also requrie you to beable to tune the front suspension.... with drag radials you will be playing with the front geometery and leaving the rear alone.... slicks are opposite.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Im sure the new nitto's are much better then the previous DR but tires are not cheap and to throw that kinda money down and not be happy really sucks. Running a DR will shock your drivetrain more so then a slick b/c of the harder side wall. Ive used the previous Nitto DR's, MT Drag Radials and MT Slicks. Slicks are by far my favorite for the track.

Tbuck07

Reaction score
Where can I find some cheap slicks for stock 16" pony rims? Tire specifications confuse me..and are there some out there that are cheaper than others..?

Lee12609

Reaction score
you usually get what you pay for in a performance tire.

do you plan on spraying out the hole? clutch drops?

no need for slicks or radials if you are scared to drive it!!!!

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
The only thing with slicks is that you are going to have to have the power to effectively use them. I do 5K dumps off the clutch w/ mine and I dont bog but if you dont have enough HP to do high RPM dumps or hard launch's your just going to bog.

As far as where to get them I got my slicks (or can get any other tire for that matter) from summit racing. What about the tire specifications confuse you? Some are cheaper then others but MT makes the best racing tires out there in DR or slick form IMO

Tbuck07

Reaction score
I know the 245 is the width..I dont understand the middle number..and I know the last is the rim size.I know the ratings..but when it comes to slicks, the backspacing and all those specs confuse me.

I dont really want to be doign 5k rpm drops so maybe I should just use these fuzion crap tires and do a huge burnout with those and pray for the best..lol.

I cant afford 400 dollars in tires righ tnow..so I guess Ill wait..

Lee12609

Reaction score
on performance tires the middle number is the first number is HEIGHT (26") the middle is width (9.5") and then rim diameter (16") 26x9.5x16

on most passenger tires its different, first number is width (245) in millimeters, middle number is the sidewall height (45) meaning 45% of the width, and then rim size. 245/45/16.....

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would say dont eve waste the money on drs, get slicks.

I was spinning bfg drags through the 330.... and my cars not thast fast

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online