Smog Pump Thoughts..

Skargon

Reaction score
I dont know if I have to have it or not, Probably do since I have emissions..

But would Running a different belt setup..

AkA the poor mans Smog delete...

Make a difference in power at all?

And if I dont have the smog pump spinning, will it cause any CEL or issues running?

1994gt

Reaction score
I deleted mine. It in under the alternator on the passenger side. I used a smog delete pully so I could use my new stock belt and same belt routing so I can't speak for how well a shorter belt works. I read they work just fine but I don't know personally. As for the cel, mine hasn't come on and I don't see why it would as the smog isn't run off any electronics. I didn't notice any power increase but changing plugs or any other maintenance on the passenger side is much easier now. It does seem like the motor runs a littler smoother to me but who knows. It's mainly for cosmetics and making some maintenance jobs easier.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Well do you run an offroad midpipe? If so scrap that smog pump asap. Its really called an air pump, pumps air to your "cats" which most of us don't have. So its just dead weight. Delete it. Have more room in the engine bay, and shed some weight. Won't feel quicker. No CEL from removing it either, I've had mine off for a year, no issues.

OP
OP
Skargon

Skargon

Reaction score
So would it screw with my emissions?

Thats my main worry, But if it doesn't give any gains except cosmetic I would rather just leave it alone.

I mean, besides weight loss. lol

lutter94

Reaction score
Are you running an O/R midpipe? If so, the smog pump serves no purpose. You need it for cats......

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
You will not gain any power. . It pumps air into the cats at warm up to reduce carbon built up. . It also does same to the heads. . It has a purpose.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you get sniffed (and it sounds like you do), they can fail you for a missing smog pmp just as quick as missing cats. It's illeagle to tamper with any smog equipement.
AS said above, there's no real increase in pwr by removing it. I ran a shorter belt for a few months because the smog pmp siezed up and there was no CEL or any other indication that it wasn't being used.
I also get sniffed in Ga. Next year I'm going to try removing the pmp and piping just to see if the inspector will notice it's missing. I doubt the sniffer will notice any differance either. We'll see in Feb.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online