SN95 IRS SWAP Thread

Handz

Reaction score
Like what? . K member has slot for it.. had to slot my trans crossmember some. . Exhaust needs a lil work. Not like you cut the fire wall or anything. . The terminator drive shaft was already shorter. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

Well here is the thing....

Swapping the K-member is very hard. You need to remove alot of stuff to swap K-members..... To move your engine back 1-inch you had to spend several hundred dollars on the K-member. Many people dont wanna do that just to run an IRS.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Well here is the thing....

Swapping the K-member is very hard. You need to remove alot of stuff to swap K-members..... To move your engine back 1-inch you had to spend several hundred dollars on the K-member. Many people dont wanna do that just to run an IRS.

Not trying to sound rude, but he said his K-member was slotted so that was pretty easy to do. If you had a stock k-member this would be a pain and is just worth getting the right drive shaft, but if he got the cobra one for free why not if you can make it work easily. Its just one of those things, there are multiple ways to solve the problem and to each their own solution. If it works for him great, although for most this way would be more work and money then its worth.

Handz

Reaction score
Not trying to sound rude, but he said his K-member was slotted so that was pretty easy to do. If you had a stock k-member this would be a pain and is just worth getting the right drive shaft, but if he got the cobra one for free why not if you can make it work easily. Its just one of those things, there are multiple ways to solve the problem and to each their own solution. If it works for him great, although for most this way would be more work and money then its worth.

As far as I know, stock k-member only has 1 hole for engine location in 1 place. Only aftermarket k-members allow for engine placement options.

Plus moving the engine back also gives other issues like exhaust needed modification.

What I am trying to say is that the user making that post was saying that the IRS swap is "Easy", but then goes on to say that he moved the engine back to do this so it kinda doesnt make much sense.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I could have left the engine sitting in the stock position use the stock driveshaft. . I did not move the engine back cause I need it too. I did it cus I wanted to.. more clearance up front for the blower and 3 row radiator. . Had nothing to do with the irs. Just happen to all work out..

Handz

Reaction score
Here is my solutions for the brake splitting issue.

The factory 98 GT lines have a splitter built into the line on the passenger side. 03/04 Cobra brake lines do not have this splitter built in.

So solve the problem I used 99-04 Maximum Motorsports IRS Braided Brake Lines. I then used a Billet CNC T-fitting as the splitter. I re-bent the factory brake lines coming from the Master cylinder (engine bay) and the line that goes over the rear end to connect to the splitter. I then made a new line and bent to fit from the splitter to the passenger side brake line. This part was a Pain. The splitter and line I used was metric designed for 1960's VWs.

537737_10151560914873109_1168786587_n.jpg

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Ok so it can be hard to some. Your the first person I hear say it's hard. . The only thing I could see being a real pain. Is changing all the bushings to aftermarket ones..

Handz

Reaction score
Ok so it can be hard to some. Your the first person I hear say it's hard. . The only thing I could see being a real pain. Is changing all the bushings to aftermarket ones..

I only swapped the subframe bushings..... But that was pretty easy because I did it with the IRS out of the car.

hondarocks61

Reaction score
I don't understand what your saying about random metric stuff.... the whole car is metric. Since the late 80's early 90's most american made cars have used metric fasteners.

The whole car? I could swear a bunch of my engine fasteners were SAE...

SVTstang96

Reaction score
The whole car? I could swear a bunch of my engine fasteners were SAE...

nope they should all be metric. Doesn't mean you cant use american sockets on it, or that some threads are very close from metric to SAE but they should be metric.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
The hardest part. Just find out is dropping the gas tank and changing filter with the irs in place. . No room to work

Kevo

Reaction score
Anyone got pics of how they ran the brake lines for 94-95 cars? I started the swap yesterday and got the rear axle removed. Going to start looking at the brake lines next. Also did you use the factory ABS sensors or 03-04 ABS sensors? I'm planning to swap the pinion flange so hopefully shorting of the DS isn't needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online