SN95 LED Gauge Cluster

97WhitePony

Reaction score
Re: HOW TO: SN95 LED Gauge Cluster

when i get home from work ill post it up... Its really easy... i also cut a piece of vinyl to finish it out... its a whislter 3650

Whistler98

Reaction score

I am just wondering b/c my GT has the stock gauges and I already replaced the stock bulbs b/c they were burnt out. I replaced mine with stock clear bulbs and my numbers are green. I don't think mine would look like that if I just replaced the bulbs with leds??? Am I missing something or do cobras have a blue film?

97WhitePony

Reaction score

my gauges are the whiteface gauge overlays... I noticed when i pulled it out to change a bulb that when i held it up to the sun, the numbers were actually blue.. the problem with regular wedge bulbs is that the "white" is actually yellow (not a pure white) therefore, an off yellow light with blue overlays makes green (blue + yellow = green) So, if you get a PURE white light and light it up you will see BLUE... now stock black gauge overlays are green from the factory...

I have the white LED lights (just like TXCOBRA) in the dash, but i have BLUE in my HVAC... the only problme with the BLUE in the HVAC is that the RED side is also blue... (im not that worried about it)... you can actually buy a 99+ cobra HVAC and the actual gauges are blue, so thats a way to cheat it... but since i HATE red, im ok with it all being blue... plus, noone ever notices that the hot side is blue haha...

120ov6_2.JPG

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score

so If i did this swap on my stock dash (black background) it will look like a bright green because it has green behind the numbers?

btw does this swap make your cluster and hvac really bright when driving in the night or does it act like stock except diff color? and can you still adjust the brightness of it with the headlight knob?

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

97WhitePony said:
the problem with regular wedge bulbs is that the "white" is actually yellow (not a pure white) therefore, an off yellow light with blue overlays makes green (blue + yellow = green)

bingo.

and i didn't know GT's had green film! i just told a guy i wouldn't see why GT's wouldn't turn blue.. so GT overlays (black background) have green film?

realitygt said:
btw does this swap make your cluster and hvac really bright when driving in the night or does it act like stock except diff color? and can you still adjust the brightness of it with the headlight knob?

you can adjust the brightness like normal and the LED's make it a bit brighter. not by much though. they look perfect no matter what though, they dont blind you from brightness but they are definitely bright enough to make them look good.

97WhitePony

Reaction score

Um i cant adjust the brightness on mine... the potentiometer in the headlight knob wont adjust the voltage enough... unless im just retarded... But its not any brighter than stock

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

i can go from full brightness to fully turned off by turning my headlight knob.

scott5

Reaction score

so this works with a black background also?

do i get the cool white or the warm white LEDs?

mich_666

Reaction score

scott5 said:
so this works with a black background also?

do i get the cool white or the warm white LEDs?

Im also wondering the same thing....
I WANT ANSWERS!!!!! :slap:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

i would suggest cool white as they will more than likely have a bluer, brighter white hue rather than a yellowish, orange soft white hue.

mich_666

Reaction score

even for the black background?

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

ive been told you wont achieve a blue color on black background GT clusters. it will still be green.. idk if thats true or not.

either way, i would go with cool white.

scott5

Reaction score

well i might as well try it cause i already ordered my cobalt guages

CruizinKev

Reaction score

so then the stock bulbs are not green or something? then I think I'll still light up green with stock cluster and some white LEDs....

mich_666

Reaction score

well ill order my LED's tomoro nite and ill keep you guys posted on how it goes with the black background.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

come on guys, i wrote this article to answer everyones questions. just read in the info and your questions will be answered.

CruizinKev said:
so then the stock bulbs are not green or something?
answer -------------------VV

[TxCobrA98 said:
]
Q. So whats the difference in the incandescent bulbs and LED bulbs and why does it make it appear blue?
A. Behind our clusters and HVAC controls lies a blue film (the film behind the number and dial cut outs are blue). An incandescent bulb emits a yellowish light (like most household bulbs that are incandescent). When you mix this yellowish light with a blue film, you get a green hue showing through the numbers of our clusters and dials of our controls. NOW, when you take the stock incandescent bulbs out and swap in their places the super bright, pure white LED's and mix it with the stock blue film, you get a BLUE hue. So white and blue = blue. Hopefully you get what im saying. That is why my gauge numbers and HVAC controls are now BLUE and not the stock green.

brwillms

Reaction score

There is a blue film between the gauges and the bulbs. These bulbs have a yellew hew and thus illuminate the cluster in the pale green that so many of us know and love. The LEDs replacing the bulbs are white light with no yellow hew. They make the cluster illuminate in blue. I've done the swap too with high intensity 6 sided LEDs. I believe the auction title had xenon in it and can try to find it if anyone is interested. I found them on ebay and got 10 for like $10.

If the LEDs don't light up it is because they are installed backwards. You will need to rotate the bulb in the socket 180 degrees.

scott5

Reaction score

I think i have an answer to the black background questions... I had to take off my black background so i could put a white overlay on it and i remember it pulled off a certain color on the back cause it was stuck on... here is a pic
Picture.jpg

now its blue so that means it has a blue film on it?

brwillms

Reaction score

I'm experimenting with doing the clock now. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online

No members online now.