SN95 LED Gauge Cluster

scott5

Reaction score
Re: HOW TO: SN95 LED Gauge Cluster

White_5.0_GT said:
nice thread trey...i'll be doing this asap...but, i have a autometer water temp gauge that shines green...anyone know how to change that to blue so they would match?? do i just order a blue LED or what

you can call up autometer and get a blue sleeve that would go over the light in the gauge

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score

Ok to answer your wuestion about the needles...

WHen i had my ranger this is what i did, not sure if this goes the same for mustangs but im sure it does.

You have to pull off the needles, use 600 gritt to sand down the back side of the needle (side that lays close to the guages) thats the part thats orange. then buy some transparent paint (which ever color you like you can usually find it at a model store, or walmart) and paint the back side of the needle where you just sanded.

Only down side is, you have to re calibrate your cluster. and thats not fun. Once those needles are off its tought to get them back together. I believe they may make a tool to help you out tho, not sure.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

sounds cool Paul but i dont think i want to mess with all that.

i need to get off my a** and have you spray my 3rd brake light...

White_5.0_GT

Reaction score

scott5 said:
White_5.0_GT said:
nice thread trey...i'll be doing this asap...but, i have a autometer water temp gauge that shines green...anyone know how to change that to blue so they would match?? do i just order a blue LED or what

you can call up autometer and get a blue sleeve that would go over the light in the gauge

oh thats not bad...did you do this for gauges you have too?

916_5.0

Reaction score

cntchds said:
916_5.0 said:
Thats what i was afraid of. ANyone know where we can buy the needles?

Interesting. I'm just curious as to what color you would swap them for? Orange seems to set off very nicely with the blue background. The contrast makes it very easy to see.

I was thinking red would look pretty nice or if i could get some new orange ones that are actually orange it would look nice, i wa thinking about doing this cause mine are faded and look yellow now and i dont think it looks very good.
KB said:
Ok to answer your wuestion about the needles...

WHen i had my ranger this is what i did, not sure if this goes the same for mustangs but im sure it does.

You have to pull off the needles, use 600 gritt to sand down the back side of the needle (side that lays close to the guages) thats the part thats orange. then buy some transparent paint (which ever color you like you can usually find it at a model store, or walmart) and paint the back side of the needle where you just sanded.

Only down side is, you have to re calibrate your cluster. and thats not fun. Once those needles are off its tought to get them back together. I believe they may make a tool to help you out tho, not sure.

Ok i thought i saw something on here a long time ago about painting the back side of the needles to change the color wasnt sure though. THe whole recalibrating thing sounds like a PITA.

brwillms

Reaction score

forgot about the old bulb rubbers

Reaction score

I dont think I saw it in there, but you gotta make sure you have the 5 led wide angle leds, otherwise you will have dark spots in the cluster, and really bright spots.

rgs

Reaction score

can you link me to the exact ones?

brwillms

Reaction score

Figured out that the clock uses what is called a seven segment LED display. Now if I can just find the right part in the right color. I'll keep you guys posted.

rgs

Reaction score

brwillms said:
Figured out that the clock uses what is called a seven segment LED display. Now if I can just find the right part in the right color. I'll keep you guys posted.

do you have any pics of your gauges? i want to know exactly what mine will look like with those exact bulbs

brwillms

Reaction score

I'll take some when I get home from work.

rgs

Reaction score

brwillms said:
I'll take some when I get home from work.

awesome, thx!!

brwillms

Reaction score

Well, my digital camera is a complete piece of crap. The pictures did not turn out well. I'll try again tonight.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

updated my how to with after shots.. finally got around to doing it. couldn't get shots from inside though because it was cold and i had to have the lens opened for a bit to get the lighting.. i didn't focus it to well either, sorry! i was just trying to hurry...

brwillms

Reaction score

Here are two pics I was able to take with my cellphone. Quality is not very good. Guess I'm in the market for a new camera. Anyway, there are no hotspots with the bulbs I listed. There is even a slight color variation between the inner and outer rings of numbers. This looks really cool.

[attachment deleted by admin]

brwillms

Reaction score

I just looked at Trey's after pics. My lights appear to be a little more blue and the needles are just as visible. Hope this clarifies some things. I have a premier aftermarket stereo with blue illumination and they match it very well.

Nice job Trey.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

mine are about the same color as yours in real life. mine are a bit more brighter but im thinking its because the white background?? idk

mine aren't as GREEN as they appear in the pictures though. i just had my lens open for a while and it sort of came out green.

sk8inrj1

Reaction score

Does anyone know if this mod will work on a 1994 cobra?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online