SO how are these V6's anyway?

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Same here P51, I don't need to stoplight drag-race even if it's still fun once in a while lol... The problem is really everyone else wanting to race you because you're in a Mustang...

But the more reading I do on the six-shooters, the more I'm thinking they might be a better look for me. My car goes all year-round, often 400-500 miles a week, so fuel economy is more of a concern than it was for me 2 yrs ago when I had my GT and an 8-mile round trip to work. Now it's a 55 mile round trip.

I'm thinking V6 with GT sways, exhaust, and a short-throw will do nicely.

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
Goldmember said:
I'm thinking V6 with GT sways, exhaust, and a short-throw will do nicely.

you only need the rear sway bar. and mac mufflers on a v6 sound best on an unmodded engine

DragonsNJ

Reaction score
Mack said:
Guys, guys, guys...

It's very simple:
* If you want a sports car that is fast: don't buy a Mustang V6
* If you want a good-looking DD: buy a Mustang V6

Compared to a supercharged Mustang V8, the Mustang V6 is a slow as ....
Compared to je average DD, the Mustang V6 is better than average

And my V6 sounded really good with a special exhaust, it doesn't have to be horrible.

OP is looking for a DD, so I say: go for it

Well said

cnryYell0gt

Reaction score
Mack said:
Guys, guys, guys...

It's very simple:
* If you want a sports car that is fast: don't buy a Mustang V6
* If you want a good-looking DD: buy a Mustang V6

Compared to a supercharged Mustang V8, the Mustang V6 is a slow as ....
Compared to je average DD, the Mustang V6 is better than average

And my V6 sounded really good with a special exhaust, it doesn't have to be horrible.

OP is looking for a DD, so I say: go for it

supercharged GT vs a supercharged v6 and it can be close...

DragonsNJ

Reaction score
I know a few Single Turbo's on the V6 Mustangs which places them in the 12's or better with no bottle but of course its not just a turbo placing them there, most of the internals and fuel lines/pump swapped out but isn't it cheaper to mod the V6 up for that Turbo then swapping in a V8? I thought about a 4.6L Cobra engine in the 97 Mustang but a bit costly right now.

P51CrazyHorse

Reaction score
I agree that it is fun being able to really get on it at times. Yes, the stock V6 in our cars is ... well, quite anemic. Though, there are options out there. Like was mentioned, a good turbo setup on our cars isn't really THAT expensive, and can turn some really impressive results. I'm seriously considering doing that myself if I don't wind up finding a different daily-driver... if that happens, my Cobra 302 I have sitting in my garage is going in there instead. With something else to drive those 80+ miles per day, I won't have to worry about the fuel economy in my 'stang as much anymore. Besides... Nothing quite matches a 5.0 H.O. with a good exhaust when it comes to that wonderful ground-shaking rumble...

(At least in my humble opinion...)

DragonsNJ

Reaction score
What about a Supercharged V8 vs a single Turbo V6?

Only asking because I heard Turbo's have LESS lag then Chargers, belt lag vs boost lag is what I believe it came down to. Around the same cost for both for my 3.8L but everyone says Turbo it instead.

RockstarMentality

Reaction score
idk bout less lag with a turbo than super... but IMO if theyre the same price go turbo, because a supercharger "steals" HP from the engine (to power itself) wheras the turbo is "free" hp.
i also love the sound of whirrrrrRRRRRRR! pshhHHHHH!

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
+1 on rockstar's comment. Food for thought, and unrelated but related: it takes 900 or so HP to turn a Top Fuel dragster/Funny Car blower.

And an update- going to look at a clean, (allegedly- I believe it when I see it) silver '00 V6 5-speed on Sunday. Just your basic 6er with 17" GT Bullitt wheels (the 04 and down version) and GT blacked-out headlights. Has 99K and is said to be stock and well kept-up.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
also, a question- the V6 uses the T-5 trans? When the GT was bumped to a 3.27 final drive in '99, did the V6 also get it or keep 2.73's?

white98stang

Reaction score
v6's are great man, go for it! I'm currently building mine up and it is a DD. Not a lot of power but God dang it looks killer going down the road. For Got5.0- I have a lot of people ask me all the time if mine is a v8...you know why? My exhaust buddy, it sounds great and fairly inexpensive. It's a y pipe bolt on kit from mac. Trying to find another DD right now so I can put this ported/polished intake on it and start the work with the heads. Swap the auto tranny out and then drop a procharger in the sumbitch and I'll be golden.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
new edge v6s are nice. my dad had one that was a saleen clone. we had equal mods and he *almost* beat me in my 96 with npi everything.
damn i wish he still had that thing...

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
^^ that is why I'm ok with 99+ V6's. They don't give up all that much to an npi GT.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
Goldmember said:
^^ that is why I'm ok with 99+ V6's. They don't give up all that much to an npi GT.

it really impressed the hell out of me... guess that's why im doing a 4V swap though :icon_rr:

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Dude. If I could afford one Id Buy a New V6. They are cool. I wants.....

robb15033

Reaction score
I have a '97 3.8 with way over 200k on it. I have slightly modified it and its fun to drive. The car was given to me so I took it and ran with it. I has been a BLAST upgrading and modifying this car. It sounds awesome, respectable for a 6cyl without a doubt. Very slow though. Absolutely fast enough and still fun for a commuter car. I think the two deciding factors will be MPG & the fact it will never have the exhaust note of a 8cyl. If you get one, have a f'n great time with it.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Well, guys, going to look at that '00 in a little while. Let's hope it's good, I'd love my next post on this thread to be that I got the car!

Still, can't get my hopes up, anything could happen.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Well, today's car was a no-go. The exterior was well-kept, but the interior looked and smelled very lived-in. Interesting that this car had power locks and windows but no cruise control or rear defroster. Clutch cable felt like it was binding, definitely a bunch of TOB noise letting off the pedal. Undercarriage was just ok, radiator core support and rear bumper support both looked questionable.

The hunt continues... I did like how the 3.8 felt, pretty good low-end, which is exactly what I want. 10 times out of 10 I'll take low-end torque to having to wind a motor. I'd consider a '97 or '98 since their torque output is very close to the 99+ cars and at the same RPM.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
Goldmember said:
Well, today's car was a no-go. The exterior was well-kept, but the interior looked and smelled very lived-in. Interesting that this car had power locks and windows but no cruise control or rear defroster. Clutch cable felt like it was binding, definitely a bunch of TOB noise letting off the pedal. Undercarriage was just ok, radiator core support and rear bumper support both looked questionable.

The hunt continues... I did like how the 3.8 felt, pretty good low-end, which is exactly what I want. 10 times out of 10 I'll take low-end torque to having to wind a motor. I'd consider a '97 or '98 since their torque output is very close to the 99+ cars and at the same RPM.
Goldmember said:

the torque rating was the same from 94-98, 215ft lbs

i wouldnt get a 94-98 v6 unless you were dead set on the body style, they are slugs compared to 99-04

a stock 94-98 5-speed is a mid to low 16 sec car. a 99-04 5-speed is a mid to low 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Isaac cerr

Members online