Someone educate me!!

Callmety24

Reaction score
I have a 94 mustang gt with minimal mods and im very new to the performance scene and clueless on where or how to begin, any direction would be much appreciated [emoji120]
3a3ee93e0f1ef0e4797eb19c704a7d06.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
i mostly want something for some interstate fun, i want to go boosted in the near future and just have no idea where to begin, as for budget, im willing to spend some extra on big ticket items but need to keep the cost down where i can.

Car already has the very basics like cai, headers and msd ignition system, also has 4.10 gears, all done by previous owner

PinkieT

Reaction score
Welcome to the herd! Sounds like you have a great car to work with. Start by checking all the fluid levels, change if needed. I would suggest brakes and suspension first, more go-fast stuff should come only after you know it will stop and handle right. Check things like your control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, shocks and struts, brake pads and rotors, replace as needed. Have fun!

delling3

Reaction score
Sounds like a great starting point. Car looks to be very clean Appears that the car was lowered - hopefully that was done well, and not half-baked. As noted above, given the mods that have already been done, probably a good idea to make certain that the chassis is up to snuff, and the car can steer and stop properly before power adders. Where are you located?

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the input it is much appreciated as is the warm welcome, i have done some small maintenance repairs on it such as idler pulley, belt tensioner, water pump, a short throw and a few other things im sure im forgetting. As soon as i can get it out of the unit i will be checking all of my suspension brakes, fluids etc. I have 1.5 inch sr performance lowering spings, stage 4 clutch kit (i forget the brand name) new u joints for the driveshaft, a steeda firewall clutch cable adjuster, none of which is installed yet. And for when i get to the point of go fast parts, what cams are you guys running? Any suggestions? Something i should do before camming, again i am very new to this so i know nothing lol. Much appreciated guys

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
And im in wisco in the states

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your going to add boost then I am not sure you really need to worry about power all that much. I would concentrate on the handling side myself with new control arms.

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
Noted sir thank you, what else should i look for in the way of control? Sorry if some of my questions seem dumb i just have no experience i appreciate the patience [emoji120]

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
Also, will the motor hold up to a turbo as is? I thought i would have to upgrade my crank, pistons, etc

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I will start by saying that no question is a dumb question. We understand where you are starting as all of us have been/are at the same point. Don’t be afraid to ask, as you will not learn if you do not seek the knowledge.

Now then, some folks have taken these engines upwards of 500hp in stock form but it is not typically recommended. Your engine should handle a turbo no problem, given that it is in good health (rings, bearings, oil pump, etc). You are not going to want to crank the boost way high straight out of the gate though. Low boost and work through it one step at a time. If you want to go turbo, that’s where I would start. Keep the engine stock and turbo it, then work up to your heads and cam later. If you pick a cam right now, it won’t match your heads and intake later. If you get the cam you need for heads you’ve got picked out for later, then it won’t match what you have now.

You follow me?

If it were me, I would completely go through the suspension and brakes. Find the tubular k-member and control arms you want for the front (you need it for the clearance with the turbo). Get a good set of subframe connectors. Decide how you want the rear end set up (irs or torque arm/panhard bar). Then work toward regearing because the turbo is not going to play nice with those 4.10 gears.

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense, so its turbos before the rest of the motor and, since i need tubular control arms for the turbo install, that will be my next move. Along with subframe connectors, and brakes. ive heard good things about maximum motorsports, do you have other recommendations? Suggestions on a decent set of brakes? Also, im unfamiliar with irs, torque arm/panhard bar, whats the difference? i have the original gearing in my trunk, which i believe are 3.55, would that be a better fit for the turbo?
Thanks for all of the help [emoji120]

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The 3.55 should be a great gear for your turbo.

Suspension stuff is personal preference. Just know that you cannot go wrong with maximum Motorsports. You will pay premium for them but I can assure, you will never be disappointed. For k member and control arms, there are also companies such as BMR, Team Z, Pa performance, UPR, the list goes on. I have had Upr and bmr k members on my car. The Upr didn’t fit worth a crap. The BMR fit great. I would definitely buy it again. MM (maximum Motorsports) fits great and works very well but it may not play nice with turbo kits because it is a really beefy piece and doesn’t have the same clearance as some others.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Did someone say Maximum motorsports?! I run their K and front arms as do a lot of us. There are cheaper options that are still good stuff but when it came down to the K and control arms I did not want to worry about manf problems and M&M is good for that. I know we have some fans here of team Z as well. If you look at the different designs on the K you can tell some were made with strength as the most important thing and others the weight reduction was. Short of steeda I didn't see a K that looked any stronger than the M&M but I was not rich enough for the steeda

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
While that is true, I daily drove and drag raced on both Upr and bmr k members. They have never given any integrity problems. The Upr did have my engine sitting crooked causing terrible vibration though. So far, I really like the bmr setup.

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
Im online lookig for k members, and i see some say with spring perches and some say without, which one am i looking for?/ whats the difference?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you want to use the stock control arms or springs or spring locations you want perches but most people go with a coil over. Some racing leagues require you keep the stock pieces or geometry so some keep them.

OP
OP
Callmety24

Callmety24

Reaction score
Are coilovers better? If so, in what ways? And im not planning on being in a league so im not too worried about rules/regulations, with that being said which route would you go?

tvsn95

Reaction score
there is a lot of good info here, BUT I will say that The K members are not 100% necessary, They are a great way to lose weight and gain some clearance. But if $$ is tight you can certainly turbo without the K replacement. ( On3)
If you put you $ in the right place and install a turbo , you will quickly find that tuning is the 2nd most expensive and troublesome thing you will get into. Having said that, you have to come to grips that they only built your ECU for 2 years and they are very old and normally problematic. Look at after market units first and learn what your doing. make it run right then add the turbo and retune. that will be your safest rout .
the stock engine will take 500hp all day, but will lose the head gaskets before you leave the garage if you don't get the tuning first. Take my word for this.
I made over 600 with 42lb injectors. ran out of fuel supply.
I DO NOT recommend 42"s. use 60lb Siemens,,Not the stuff from Summit. there is no or very little data on these.
And yeah the 4:10's ain't gonna work on the interstate.
when ya make power the rear suspension will be a problem, and you will need subframe connectors welded in to prevent the twisting.
And if you put in a killer clutch you WILL BREAK EVERYTHING. clutches are cheap.
Welcome aboard to the addiction, LOL

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can adjust the ride height and possibly the rebound depending on what set you get with coil overs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online