Something wrong with the car...

mrspeedy69

Reaction score
Ok i posted this in the general tech but not too many ppl responded so i thought i'd try here.

About a week ago i decided to run seafoam and clean my throttle body with seafoams deep creap. After i ran it through i decided to change the plugs and the feul filter. I replaced everything and started the car and it seemed to run fine. Well later that night i noticed that when i got on the car it just fell on it's face like it wasn't getting spark or feul.

I noticed that it only does this when i'm past about half throttle, if i'm not into it the car runs up fine but as soon as i go over half throttle it just stops pulling. I put the old plugs back in thinking that was the problem but no. I replaced my IAC, cleaned the MAF and throttle body again. Put new plug wires on and still the same problem.

The car threw a code once that was P1516 which is and IMRC input error on bank 1. After i replaced/cleaned the things i mentioned the car seems to run/pull harder until i get up in the higher rpm's. I can feel the IMRC's kicking in and it feels like they kick in alot harder. I have a new TPS to put on just haven't cause the screw is stripped and havent' had time to get it out.

Sorry for the long post but i'm a little lost on where to go from here. The car is a 98 cobra with almost 108,xxx on it and is completely stock. Thanks for the help guys.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have heard of people having problems after running seafoam through there cars. But I have never used it. As for your problem, I can't help sorry. :dunno:

OP
OP
M

mrspeedy69

Reaction score
LoL thanks anyway. What problems have you heard ppl having, ones similar to mine?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
ive heard seafoam can do this if not done properly.

i am also no help. i really wish i could though.

did you put the MAF back on all the way. double check all the vacuum lines, connections, check your 02's maybe like Aaron said.

OP
OP
M

mrspeedy69

Reaction score
I haven't checked the O2's, not really sure how to be honest. If they were bad wouldn't they be throwing a code?

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
i would put in the new TPS like you stated, set that correctly, then drive it and see if it still does the same thing.
your code you said was "input error on bank 1" almost sounds like an O2 isn't plugged in or something, causing the
computer to throw the a/f ratio all to hell. that would be my first assumption. :dunno:

badass98svt

Reaction score
I'm confused, you are saying your IMRCs are working correctly?
It doesn't sound to me like they're opening. You say it pulls harder since you cleaned the IMRCs, but in the upper RPMs it falls on its face.
How high are the RPMs?
3500ish and up?

OP
OP
M

mrspeedy69

Reaction score
Actually i never cleaned the IMRC's. The car pulls hard and when i hit about 3200rpm i can feel it take off like the IMRC's are opening. But shortly after that if i'm over half throttle it starts cutting out. Like i said before if i'm not over half throttle the car keeps pulling and never cuts out. I did replace the TPS and still the same results.

Is there a way to check the O2's without replacing them? Which O2 would you think might be bad?

badass98svt

Reaction score
P1516 is a IMRC malfunction code. I'm sure something isn't functioning correctly.

If it was a bad plug/wire, you'd get a different code.

OP
OP
M

mrspeedy69

Reaction score
Yeah i printed that PDF off before about cleaning them. I've been debating on doing it, just not sure if i want to tackle that myself. I'm no mechanic by no means, i guess i'm afraid of messing something really bad up in the process.

That and i'd hate to pull it all off clean it and then there be no change.

badass98svt

Reaction score
There WILL be a change. Whether or not it fixes your issue is another stpry, but you will feel a difference.

OP
OP
M

mrspeedy69

Reaction score
Well i cleaned the IMRC's but still no luck with the problem. Not sure what else to try...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.