Spring cutting question

dafizuck

Reaction score
Three part question...
I have Ford Racing C springs and I want another .25" to .5" drop. For front springs, I cut from the bottom right? And if I do decide to cut them, any opinions on how far up the coil to cut to get the desired drop? I would also like to hear some opinions on cutting too. Thanks.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
take the ISOs out first and see what happens....

OP
OP
D

dafizuck

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions. I am still on the fence about it, tryin to read more on it.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
dafizuck said:
Thanks for the opinions. I am still on the fence about it, tryin to read more on it.

are you still running ISOs?

OP
OP
D

dafizuck

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
dafizuck said:

are you still running ISOs?

Yeah. Maybe I will try that out first before I start cuttin. How much did your car lower when you took them out??

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
with the c springs cut the bottom on the fronts and the tops on the back springs. I will be cutting mine soon. i am planning on cutting a coil. i will see how much it drops and go from there

98-5.0

Reaction score
please dont cut your spings....it makes em ride like crap....the more you cut down a spring the stiffer it gets...especially is they are progressive rate springs....

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
cut the springs? good luck!

just buy nice,new springs

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
c springs are specific not progressive. cut 1/2 a coil and see how it sits and go from their. people cut c springs all the time. the coils have a dead coil on them and as long as u dont cut the dead coil off completely u do not effect the spring rate. and also dont get them hot either. i will be cutting mine as soon as i get the time now that i have a cutoff wheel

98-5.0

Reaction score
dead spot.....?...now im curious...fact is....i dont care who says what....a spring has a rate based on height......even if you take 1/4'' off that spring...it will change the stiffnes and characteristics of that spring....will you feel it....depends....but...if you cut a spring at all...it does in fact gets stiffer....no matter what......as far as not getting it hot.....even with a cut off wheel and water ....your still goin to get it hot....imho...if you guys are worried about perfect car stance....these are mustangs were dealing with.....ive seen coilover kits that fit over shocks and struts for as low as 190 a pair....then youll never have to cut.....ever ever...just twist....i dont mean to come off in a bad mood here but...i just want you to know that it will change the rate ...noticable or not....

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
not a dead spot, dead coil. it is a a coil that does not effect the spring rate and only effects the ride height. it is a fact that the c springs have them. stock springs etc do not have this so if u do cut them they it does effect the ride quality/spring rate. a shitload of people have trimmed c springs and never had any ill effects. i have even been told that the instructions tell u how to cut them. mine didnt come with any so unfortunetly i cannot show u.

if u are patient with a cut off wheel and use water to keep it cool it will not even get hot to touch. just be patient. not that hard

buy those $190 coilovers and see how ya like them. i guarentee they will be noisy as hell, be pieces of shit etc. and u will tear them out. i would definately trim the c springs before getting the cheapo coilovers

OP
OP
D

dafizuck

Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
not a dead spot, dead coil. it is a a coil that does not effect the spring rate and only effects the ride height. it is a fact that the c springs have them. stock springs etc do not have this so if u do cut them they it does effect the ride quality/spring rate. a shitload of people have trimmed c springs and never had any ill effects. i have even been told that the instructions tell u how to cut them. mine didnt come with any so unfortunetly i cannot show u.

if u are patient with a cut off wheel and use water to keep it cool it will not even get hot to touch. just be patient. not that hard

buy those $190 coilovers and see how ya like them. i guarentee they will be noisy as hell, be pieces of shit etc. and u will tear them out. i would definately trim the c springs before getting the cheapo coilovers

I have heard of people cutting c springs before but couldnt find it so I was trying to call out this info again. My plan was to trim 1/4 coil up front just to get a tad bit more raked. I have a rotozip I plan on using and will definitely take my time. I appreciate the info.

riored96gt

Reaction score
If you're so concerned just call Eibach and talk to them. They can roll springs to your specifications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online