Stalling/ starting Issues.

Snazzysaucedude

Reaction score
My 1995 GT has been starting to randomly stall or not start with no Check engine light ever coming on. It takes maybe 3 tries to start it, and when I get it running it runs for 5 mins before cutting out and I have to keep on trying to start it. I've done a full tune up, meaning I replaced the ignition coil, cap and rotor, wires and spark plugs. Not cheap stuff. Ex. Motorcraft copper, ford performance wires, MSD cap, rotor, coil. I've also replaced the Fuel Pump, it primes every time I start the car so unless its defective I doubt its that. I just replaced the stock Airbox with a CAI so a dirty filter isn't it. The only thing I'm thinking of now is my distributor. I have the factory stock distributor in my car which has 159K miles on it. Could the PIP or TFI be going bad? Or something completely different. A thing I found funny is I tried driving the car about 20 miles to a shopping center and back home with this issue to see what would happen. It started first try and it drove fine. Never stalled on my about 20 mile journey. There was plenty of red lights that I stopped at, and it never stalled. Thats when I was just lost of ideas. Any help?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1) msd coils are notorious for problems. The factory motorcraft coils are most reliable and more than adequate for up to 500hp.

2) that’s not the problem though, it’s more than likely the pip which means just go ahead and get a new dizzy. Get it from oreilleys as theirs have seemed to be the most reliable.

This is a very common problem with our cars. Mine did it and after I replaced the dizzy it went back to normal. The tfi can be taken to autozone and tested but it’s a very unreliable test. Try the the dizzy and I bet youll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duffy

Reaction score
1) msd coils are notorious for problems. The factory motorcraft coils are most reliable and more than adequate for up to 500hp.

2) that’s not the problem though, it’s more than likely the pip which means just go ahead and get a new dizzy. Get it from oreilleys as theirs have seemed to be the most reliable.

This is a very common problem with our cars. Mine did it and after I replaced the dizzy it went back to normal. The tfi can be taken to autozone and tested but it’s a very unreliable test. Try the the dizzy and I bet youll be good.

Just seeking info here.........what is a Pip, what is a dizzy? These are automotive terms I am not familiar with.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just seeking info here.........what is a Pip, what is a dizzy? These are automotive terms I am not familiar with.

Pip is the pickup module inside your distributor. It tells the ecm when to fire each fuel injector. So when it starts going out this is why your car suddenly and randomly falls on its face or won’t start sometimes.

Dizzy is the distributor.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you say the pump primes but do you know you have good pressure? Did you replace the tube inside of the tank as well? If not that tube can develop a crack in it and you will have a fuel leak with no evidence as it leaks back into the tank. The only way to tell is to check fuel pressure or as a quick DIY test try turning the key on/off 3-4 times long enough to let it prime each time and then try to start it. If it fires right up and keeps running for a a while then I would say its a fuel problem of some type.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

It could also be one of the pins backing out of the harness connector at the coil. Ask me how I know... :ROFL:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It could also be one of the pins backing out of the harness connector at the coil. Ask me how I know... :ROFL:

Cause you stayed ata holiday inn express last night.........?!?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online