Starter Heatsoak maybe?

joebrez

Reaction score
As I continue my restoration journey, I feel like I’mplaying “whack a mole”. Here’s thescoop, I think I’m having a starter heat soak issue, as the car is slow tocrank when the car gets to operating temp.
When I first got the car, it was very much neglected(Original pretty much EVERYTHING). So enginewise, I’ve recently changed: Plugs,Wires, Cap/Rotor, Fuel Filter, Coil, O2 Sensors, and Cat Back Exhaust. I truly feel like I gained 100hp back. She was a DOG when I got it.
I tried to get the H Pipe off (I have a free flow cattedreplacement already), but couldn’t. Noamount of PB Blaster was going to help me move those bolts!

Anyway, my theory is that now that the engine is running MUCH better, it’smaking more heat. This increased heat iscausing these 22 year old Cats (which are right next to the starter) to heat upmore than before, which in turn is causing the starter to get too hot also.

I have a shop lined up to do the H-pipe and I guess I canwait and see if my theory is correct. Just wanted to see if it held water, as I find it hard to believe that the factory headers wouldcause this.
I did search a bit, but it seems like this affects earlyFoxes, and the solution is to use the newer style starters, which I should already have.
Also, according to the paperwork I got with the car, theStarter was replaced with a rebuilt unit just about a year ago.

thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online