Super Duty owners, I have a question

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So I just got my wife an 04 excursion and I inherited her 99 F250 Super Duty. I recently rebuilt the a/c system (new compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer, and orfice tube.) so I know its running correctly. The problem Im having is the a/c doesnt cool as well as it should when im in my usual stop and go traffic. In south Louisiana it gets hot, and people love to hit their brakes. So now im thinking about adding a pusher fan in front of the radiator that comes on when the a/c comes on. Im thinking that will help my slow speed a/c. At highway speed, the a/c will freeze you out.

Question is, have any of you guys done this or know someone that has? Do you guys see how it would cause a problem? I was told the fan motor would cause a restriction at highway speeds but I dont know how much it would hurt.

I need some brainstorming to go on here, the Ford truck forums seem to be closed minded to new ideas.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A/C is to cold! Just put the windows down!

Perhaps the mechanical fan isnt locking up as it should?

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
A/C is to cold! Just put the windows down!

Perhaps the mechanical fan isnt locking up as it should?

A/C is a must for me! lol.
I thought about the fan clutch being bad, but the truck doesnt overheat. I can pull a load with it and sit in stop and go traffic for hours (ask me how I know that! These fools cant drive) with no signs of overheating. It just seems like there isnt enough air moving accross the a/c condenser to make it cold.

ranger56528

Reaction score
I have a 98 and a 08 and don't have any issues with my ac but I'm in MN.....ones a 5.4 the other is diesel twin turbo.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Funny im taking my 99' F350 7.3L in to get the AC recharged today.. Mine has a leak and needs to be refilled every few years..

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The only time I have an issue with mine is when Im in stop and go traffic. Im going to start with the fan clutch and if that doesnt work then Ill end up putting a pusher fan on the front.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Do you have a recirculation selector on a 99? If you do try that instead of drawing fresh air from outside. See if that helps before going through the pain of adding a fan.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Do you have a recirculation selector on a 99? If you do try that instead of drawing fresh air from outside. See if that helps before going through the pain of adding a fan.

The switch has option for a/c or max a/c. The max setting uses cabin air, and while thats fine and dandy when the truck is moving, when im sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.......im cussing lol.

Why is Mississippi and Louisiana so hot?!?!

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Oh sorry...the ac....the max setting than should recirculate already cold air, in essence not working as hard and keeping it cooler. When you switch between the two can you hear the door switch in the dash? It almost sounds like the blend doors arent functioning properly. You should have one that directs the air through the ac condensor and one for the cabin air. Another thing yhat could affect it is the cabin filter. I always change mine at least once a year. But thats in pennsylvania. Being in Louisiana you might need to change yours more often.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ Exactly!

Use to be a heater control valve operated by a cable connected to the temperature sector that shut the hot water from flowing into the heater core. The fan flow over both cores and shutting the hot water out allowed for max cold air. Cars now flow through constant, no shut off valve but have separate compartments for the cores within the a/c system box under the dash. A blend door seperates the cores compartment. If that door is operated by a vacuum actuator, low vacuum and/or a weak actuator will allow the door to peak open allowing both hot cold to pass through. Stepping on the gas gets vacuum up compensating for the actuators bleed off.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Wasnt sure if ford was outta the stoneages by 99 or not lol. All your ac and heat controls should be vacuum operated.......side note, wasnt it you who had the intake off this? Check your vacuum lines

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Wasnt sure if ford was outta the stoneages by 99 or not lol. All your ac and heat controls should be vacuum operated.......side note, wasnt it you who had the intake off this? Check your vacuum lines

Yup, had the intake off and did a cam swap. All the vacuum lines are solid and in good shape, and connected. I had the same issue before the engine work, I always thought it was something wrong in the a/c system.

maybe your blower motor is loosing its life?

I guess it could be. Im not real sure how to check that. also, its not like the blower motor slows down or stops pushing air its just like the air gets warmer while im sitting in stop and go traffic.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ahhhh, missed that. I would check your ac clutch. It may not be engaging and or staying engaged while stopped. Too much of an air gap. I would remove the clutch and pull the shim or washer off bolt and reinstall. Very simple to do and try. Trick is to turn key on with engine off and turn ac on. Your clutch should engage, remove the one bolt and pull clutch off. There should be a small washer or shim you can remove.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
ahhhh, missed that. I would check your ac clutch. It may not be engaging and or staying engaged while stopped. Too much of an air gap. I would remove the clutch and pull the shim or washer off bolt and reinstall. Very simple to do and try. Trick is to turn key on with engine off and turn ac on. Your clutch should engage, remove the one bolt and pull clutch off. There should be a small washer or shim you can remove.

I just replaced the whole a/c system. Compressor, dryer, orfice tube, condenser, the whole nine. It cools great when going down the road. Sitting still, not so much.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked the clutch to see if it is staying engaged at idle? Is the compressor a rebuilt unit? Or oem new?

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Have you checked the clutch to see if it is staying engaged at idle? Is the compressor a rebuilt unit? Or oem new?

It is a new unit, not oem though. Ill check that clutch when I get the chance.

Dude its gotta be the temp blend door. Its not fully opening. Id put money on it

Alright, I will be looking in to that door today. Im not against anything so dont feel like I was dismissing you.
However, If I have to pull the dash to put it in.........it can wait. Ill add an extra fan and a shut off valve for the heater core lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online