SuperCharger

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
If anyone has a supercharger kit of any sort(twin screw or centrifugal) and are looking to get rid of it (for 1996-98 only please), then LOOK NO FURTHER!! i will take it off your hand for you. i can spend up to $1,000.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lol...did you do any research on how much supercharger systems usually cost before you threw this up?

You can usually snag up a decent deal on a vortech kit but it seems hard to find much under 2k...yet alone, 1k.

Good luck, but your best bet would probably be to piece a vortech kit together by buying the mounting kit from superchargersonline and buying the head unit and etc used.

Either way, after injectors, maf, and a tune, expect to spend 2k at the VERY least.

MadStang

Reaction score
i recommend looking into the Tornado intake for that price or installing a leaf blower.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
supercharger or turbo would both be hard to do for that price but you could to a toro. Get a 120v ac power inverter and a leaf blower. I would go all out and wire a switch to it so you can turn it off to pass emissions.

OP
OP
1997gtRioRed

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
oh i know how much they cost, upwards of 5k for a KB twin screw. but i just threw this up because, you just never know

supercharger or turbo would both be hard to do for that price but you could to a toro. Get a 120v ac power inverter and a leaf blower. I would go all out and wire a switch to it so you can turn it off to pass emissions.

no emissions here

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure I would risk a used supercharger myself honestly. Nobody ever buys one of those to improve gas milage and to cruise around takin it easy on it. I have not problem buying used parts if I can be safe and know that it will last but not sure this is the time.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure I would risk a used supercharger myself honestly. Nobody ever buys one of those to improve gas milage and to cruise around takin it easy on it. I have not problem buying used parts if I can be safe and know that it will last but not sure this is the time.

Yea, that is true...but in reality as long as the blower isnt shitting out a ton of oil it should be fine, and even then...you could always buy it, send it back to vortech for fresh seals and that would only cost like 300 bucks I believe.

Should be a lot less than a new blower.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I personally would not install a charger on my car that I bought for a grand and had refreshed, even if it was back to the company. If it seems to good to be true it normally is(Even thoug I am sure it would only have 10k miles on it) it normally is and often when you buy cheap, you buy twice.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Madstang, the more of those tornado things you put in, the more power is multiplied. Its amazing ;p

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I personally would not install a charger on my car that I bought for a grand and had refreshed, even if it was back to the company. If it seems to good to be true it normally is(Even thoug I am sure it would only have 10k miles on it) it normally is and often when you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Lol, I guess...

I bought a used S trim and sent it back to vortech and had it upgraded to and SI trim with all new seals and bearings...spent 700 on the head unit and another 600 to freshen it and upgrade it...

but for 1300 I still had a fresh SI head unit which is like half what vortech charged for a new one right?

Ive been running it for a few years now and its been rock solid reliable.

I mean, these blowers are just a bunch of bearings/ seals/ and a few gears inside a housing.

If you put brand new bearings and seals in the thing, they should last just as long as a new unit before it has to get sent back

just my opinion

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with that. A refresh will make them like new. Especially a refresh from the manufacturer

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sure, just a couple of seals, some bearings..... All of which are precision cut/balanced, all turning at high speed, under compression and high temps once it gets hot which of course means expansion/contraction of the metals used. While I am sure that yours was re-freshed(which is notthe same as fresh, that = new) I would love to really hear what can all be really wrong with one and again I don't think you will ever find an honest person selling it with only 10k on it? I learned the hard way on a set of used but good condition heads that sometimes going cheap can get expensive pretty quic.k Glad to hear that yours has done well for you and hope that luck continues but with my luck on cars I would rather take the time to save the money and do it right and not be concerned. I mean if it were to go bad on you on the way out of the garage, you would have no one to blame but yourself and that sucks when you have regret about your car..

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
If i found one for a grand I would send that bitch in and have it on the car while masturbating. Once rebuilt you have it for a long time. Just like a rebuilt engine you wouldn't use one of those either. I just pick one up for 1800 I think I got a great.deal sence its upgraded comes with a powerpipe upgraded bov just rebuil head unit. everything but injectors and fuel pump add that in its 2000 half off a new one. Shipped to my front door. Hell I got my short block for 250 no miles on it 2 years ago

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
sure, just a couple of seals, some bearings..... All of which are precision cut/balanced, all turning at high speed, under compression and high temps once it gets hot which of course means expansion/contraction of the metals used. While I am sure that yours was re-freshed(which is notthe same as fresh, that = new) I would love to really hear what can all be really wrong with one and again I don't think you will ever find an honest person selling it with only 10k on it? I learned the hard way on a set of used but good condition heads that sometimes going cheap can get expensive pretty quic.k Glad to hear that yours has done well for you and hope that luck continues but with my luck on cars I would rather take the time to save the money and do it right and not be concerned. I mean if it were to go bad on you on the way out of the garage, you would have no one to blame but yourself and that sucks when you have regret about your car..

ok...and all that stuff your saying is irrelevant just so you know and does not apply to superchargers. Not trying to sound like a dick, but ive been there done that and if you understood what was happening internally in these blowers, you would too.

when vortech builds a new blower, they have a human put it together.

Internally, its literally 4 bearings, 2 seals, 2 thrust washers, and of course, the 2 gear shafts.

Want to guess what happens when I send my blower back to vortech? They pull the unit apart and replace the 4 bearings, 2 seals, and washers.

There is literally 0 difference between a brand new unit and a unit that has had a rebuild other than the extremely minor wear on the gear shafts that may exist.

vortech_v1_%28Small%29.jpg

As you can see, these units are simple. The only component that is balances is the impellar by the way.

You can actually rebuild one of these yourself if you are able to get ahold of the high speed rated bearings and specialized seals.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You'll never win that argument with him personally I'd be more then comfortable buying a used kit from corral. Vortech makes some bad ass blowers

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
You'll never win that argument with him personally I'd be more then comfortable buying a used kit from corral. Vortech makes some bad ass blowers

There is no argument...the fact is, a rebuilt blower with new seals/bearings is just as good as a brand new blower.

There is 0 difference between the components, or the assembly.

Nothing wrong with a used kit, but having the blowers seals and bearings replaced is cheap enough.

The only problem ive had is when the front seal does leak oil, it shoots oil onto the MAF which can break the sensor and mess up a/f ratios.

If your running a draw through setup it doesnt even matter. lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ah, ok so now suddenly superchargers are not a precision made item that is susceptible to the same laws of phisics as everything else in the universe? Saying there is no difference in a re-freshed unit and a new one is just asinine and if that was the case they would be more expensive on the resale market. My point is that buying used, precision made performance parts is always going to be a crapshoot, I learned a tough lesson on the used heads I bought by watching my bottom end go out on the dyno tuning them. Yes it is a fairly simple design but that doesn't mean that those simple parts or a small hardly viewable crack in the one of the parts might not make it back into the package and what will happen if it grenades will you be out a supercharger or a charger and a motor? When I look into used parts, I consider the penalty for failure and to me a used charger is just an invatation for problems down the line that you can't blame anyone else for causing but yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online