SVE Brake Kit (Cobra style)

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Not sure how easy it is. It's been done. But I haven't done it..

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

RichV

Reaction score
Why do you want hydroboost?

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
No. The 96+ use hydroboost for breaking

My car is 96 GT and I do have hydroboost.

Is it easy to switch 96+ hydro boost setups into a 94-95? Or is it not worth the time and money?

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

I would just go with 95 Cobra master cylinder since thats the upgrade for your years.

Not sure how easy it is. It's been done. But I haven't done it..

Me neither.

Why do you want hydroboost?

Does having twin piston PBR fronts and cobra rears going to mess up with my braking or does stock hydroboost system takes care of this problem?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I've heard the hydroboost from the 96-98 GT and cobra were the same yet the part #'s are different so can't confirm it.

I don't see it being an issue. Hydroboost works very well when normal mait is kept up.

Ive got a set of cobra rears if someone doesn't pick them up they will be up for sale.

RichV

Reaction score
Does having twin piston PBR fronts and cobra rears going to mess up with my braking or does stock hydroboost system takes care of this problem?

Just keep it matched, GT rotors, calipers, MC.

Cobra rotors, calipers, MC. And you'll be good.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Just keep it matched, GT rotors, calipers, MC.

Cobra rotors, calipers, MC. And you'll be good.

Just looked on American Muscle, and the 96-98 Cobra MC and GT Master cylinder have the same bore size. So I will just keep the brakes matched up. Thanks RichV

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
The hydroboost. Requires no changes for the cobra brake upgrade. As far as i know

gofastbobby

Reaction score
I've decided to upgrade the brakes on my '95 GT. After reading through all this info, the cobra upgrade looks like it's my best option.

I have questions though. How can you adjust the brakes for mods? I've already taken a bunch of weight out of the car. By the time I'm done turning the car in to the 1995 Mustang GTS that Ford should've built, I'll have modded the engine, suspension and brakes too. Should I replace the stock proportioning valve with an adjustable unit? What about the ABS? Have you removed ABS in your car? Was it worth the effort?

Also, have any of you guys measured the improved stopping distances from the brake upgrade?

Any advice would be helpful.

RichV

Reaction score
Stopping distance is for magazine #s. Upgrading the brakes for street use will not necessarily yield huge results, specially when you're messing with the weight. Technically weight reduction will have a lot of affect on stopping distance, more than a bigger brake upgrade. If you can lock-up or hit threshold braking now, doing it with different rotors/calipers will feel very similar.

If you have a 100% working OEM system, it should be sufficient to stop your SN. Specially if you make it lighter.

Now I know the mod bug hits and you want to go big, just make sure you balance the setup. Going 13" Cobra gear is the easy way, using all Cobra stuff including the Master Cylinder, rear brakes, a obviously the front rotors and calipers. Brake pads are very important his setup as well, if you go through all the trouble of upgrading, don't use some cheap part store pads, and don't forget to do a complete bleed of the brake fluid. Valvoline synthetic is a great option.

The 13" brakes will give a bit more heat dissipation when using them extremely hard. This is not an emergency stop, this is repeated use at high speeds coming down to low speeds. But brake coolers are still 100% necessary on the track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online

No members online now.