SVE Brake Kit (Cobra style)

RichV

Reaction score
You guys and yer ABS. CMC does not allow ABS so I don't have a choice there.

Just at trust me. There is a big difference in feel. Win, I'm not being a dick, but if you drove my 94 on track versus your 95 you'd feel a huge difference in brake modulation. I don't doubt that one bit. I had your setup.

So what brake pad do you like?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
You guys and yer ABS. CMC does not allow ABS so I don't have a choice there.

Just at trust me. There is a big difference in feel. Win, I'm not being a dick, but if you drove my 94 on track versus your 95 you'd feel a huge difference in brake modulation. I don't doubt that one bit. I had your setup.

So what brake pad do you like?

Is is it not a stock class?

I like Carbotech.... Mikey turned me onto them and holy cow!!!

95opal

Reaction score
I agree reed it's the same booster and the mc is mere mm like 1/32 difference

Gt master is 1 1/16" the sn cobra master is 15/16", 93 cobra master is 1". Your selection of masters should be based off of combined piston area , piston volume of your calipers and the pedal ratio. A larger master cylinder bore produces more volume and a smaller master cylinder bore produces more pressure.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
How many miles were on the car? just asking. maybe the mc was wearing out at the same time... idk. I have had friends that have done the front and rear cobra brake swap and the haven't had braking issues. but have had great feedback from it.

I can't remember that was like 5 years ago.. but it was stock.. worked fine with the gt brakes. Didn't like the feel with the cobra brakes..

RichV

Reaction score
Is is it not a stock class?

I like Carbotech.... Mikey turned me onto them and holy cow!!!

It's a stock-ish class. But all cars with ABS must disable it. One of the challenges of putting cars from 1979-2010 on the track, you gotta dumb down some of the newer ones.

What compound have you run? Carbotech was very popular in CMC1 where no aftermarket calipers were allowed. I ran their race compounds for years. Mikey used to hang out in the CMC pits when he was running HPDE in colorado. He and I have had some suds together after some hard drivin' years back. One of the big reasons I went to a Wilwood caliper up front was because I got tired of paying for the Carbotechs. At $220 per axle, and going thru 5-6 sets per season was no bueno for the pocket book. The HAWK race compounds are much cheaper and last longer, but still provide the initial bite as well as modulation as the Carbotech race compound.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I'm going to be that guy that is going to say. But why would there be a mc designed for the cobra if it was not need it.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
It's a stock-ish class. But all cars with ABS must disable it. One of the challenges of putting cars from 1979-2010 on the track, you gotta dumb down some of the newer ones.

What compound have you run? Carbotech was very popular in CMC1 where no aftermarket calipers were allowed. I ran their race compounds for years. Mikey used to hang out in the CMC pits when he was running HPDE in colorado. He and I have had some suds together after some hard drivin' years back. One of the big reasons I went to a Wilwood caliper up front was because I got tired of paying for the Carbotechs. At $220 per axle, and going thru 5-6 sets per season was no bueno for the pocket book. The HAWK race compounds are much cheaper and last longer, but still provide the initial bite as well as modulation as the Carbotech race compound.

I think ink it was 1521 if I remember correctly. Don't think they have any other street compounds. I didn't think they were that expensive. I think I paid like 125 ish

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Holy shit, all this talk about brakes. The OP is just wanting to improve his brakes for street driving, not get the absolute best braking for competition!!!

I've upgraded from 94-98 calipers to 99-04 PBR's, and the difference isn't worth anywhere near $300. The difference between 94-98 and the Cobra brakes is though.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Although going to pbr dual pistons save a considerable amount of weight..

RichV

Reaction score
what-have-i-done.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I feel what Rich is talking about daily. I didn't do the rear cobra brakes, nor did I do the Master cylinder, and they are on the to-do list, because it takes nothing for my pedal to get all mushy and my brakes to lock up. No fun.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I did the Bullitt fronts & Cobra rears with SS lines & the Cobra MC on my 94....Wow what nice brakes! A HUGE difference, now I love to come off the freeway pretty hot, delay braking until my wife starts to holler then slow it down effortlessly & QUICKLY! A lot of fun. I used the Hawk HPS street pads & love them.

Question though...I have steered away from the ceramic pads even though they are less dust because they don't have the same bite or stopping power as the normal HPS pads??? This was from the rating of the pads by Hawk...my son put the ceramics on his Mach 1 mostly because they were cheaper & they do great . What do you think?

I know on my F150 4x4 it has less stopping power when towing a trailer than the HPS normal pads...the ceramics were installed on it by mistake & I will change back very soon.

RichV

Reaction score
I'll run ceramics on my daily drivers. But no chance on the performance cars.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
I happen to think there is some awesome brake info in this thread..... All the big brake guys jumped in here and gave us all a better knowledge of brakes from stock to race class LOL. But no really I think there is some great info here. Thanks fellas!

And now Joe can decide if he wants crazy dumb brakes... Or crazy awesome brakes! Get that checkbook out Joe hahaha

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I happen to think there is some awesome brake info in this thread..... All the big brake guys jumped in here and gave us all a better knowledge of brakes from stock to race class LOL. But no really I think there is some great info here. Thanks fellas!

And now Joe can decide if he wants crazy dumb brakes... Or crazy awesome brakes! Get that checkbook out Joe hahaha

We got the same first name so if you wanna donate, that'd be great haha

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
BACK FROM THE DEAD YEAH!

Anyways, I read through this whole thread and I am bit confused. It seems like the 94/95 guys are claiming the braking force with GT master cylinder is not great until you upgrade to cobra master cylinder assuming you have (front twin piston PBR calipers and cobra rears) Does this apply to the 96+ cars?

Notes:
94/95 Cobra rear swap requires grinding to fit the calipers
99-04 Twin piston brakes are not much of a upgrade
Twin Piston Bullitt, Cobra, Mach1 is a upgrade
Master cylinders and braking force????? Not sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online