Switching from Thrush Turbos dumped to 2 chambers

dwcopple

Reaction score
How much droning can I expect? The Thrush Turbos are just too dang quiet.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
So don't do it? I hate drone. Mine is a convertible though too

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It’ll have the traditional Mustang sound but they’re not known for being lightweight and they rob power at higher power levels.

If you’re just after sound, it’s a good mod.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
I have the OEM tails, but they need stubs welded to them to work. Muffler shops around me suck something fierce, and when I tried, I melted the stock pipes.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
I have the flow tubes. Mine just dump with turndown tips after the mufflers

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
How's the sound on those @white95 ? Have a throaty sound or more of a rumble sound??

The sound is quite similar to a Magnaflow muffler. Mellow and deep at idle. The first time I started it up with these Dynomax mufflers, my wife asked me if I meant for it to be that quiet. She has jokes because her S197 is pretty loud.

I have yet to drive with them installed because I took the car apart again.

I know this car has a Coyote engine but you’ll get the idea of what they sound like in this video:

Werecow

Reaction score
Sweeeet!!!!!! I'll probably go with those but think right now one of the biggest problems I'm gnna have is a set of headers for mine... 351C headers I can find, but the 351M has a deck height that's almost an inch taller, sooo...

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Sweeeet!!!!!! I'll probably go with those but think right now one of the biggest problems I'm gnna have is a set of headers for mine... 351C headers I can find, but the 351M has a deck height that's almost an inch taller, sooo...

You likely have to have some built.

TrickVert

Reaction score
My '95' vert had Flowmaster 40's on it when I bought it. Driving it home from Michigan to Ohio, I stopped and bought ear plugs to block out the drone. It was horrible. I'd had Dynomax Super Turbos on my '87,and decided to put the same on this. Yes, they're quiet, but have a "big" sound... deeper and mellow. What little drone they *did* have was almost completely eliminated when I installed a set of Helmholtz resonators. I am absolutely in love with the sound of the car. There's a section of road leading into town that has a concrete barrier separating the east and west sides. I often slow down to about 45 MPH, downshift to second, and then let it rip just to hear the music. A huge grin typically ensues. :)

I need to try to record that one of these days, but in the meantime, you can hear idle and Rev here:

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Well, guess I'll just flip the mufflers on FB marketplace then...

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Chambered mufflers will always drone. Drone drone drone. Flow masters are nick named drone masters for a reason.

What’s your budget? Are you looking for deep or raspy? Perhaps more of a middle of the road tone I personally called exotic but I guess there’s no real name for it.

Regardless thrush turbos take an oem muffler design and make it higher flowing and smaller. That’s why they are quiet yet have some sound.

Chambered mufflers will drone because that’s the nature of the beast. Flow master designed what they call Delta Flow to help minimize it but it’s still there.

There’s so many routes to take on this subject but we’d need for details on what you want.

If you’re looking to go from thrush turbos to thrush welded ( Flowmaster Original 40 clones ) then you will hate life. They drone so much it’s unreal. It’s why flowmaster came out with the super 40 series which basically is the original with delta flow incorporated into it.

I personally don’t mind drone as long as it sounds good. My stingers drone but not at an annoying tone like my super 44s did. The least droning muffler I ever owned was the MAC Flowpaths. Gave a mix of a flowmaster and Magnaflow tone with extremely good flow characteristics.

Things like mid pipes, cats, and manifolds/headers, and resonators are also going to affect sound. You’re going to want to research the topic a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online