Switching from Thrush Turbos dumped to 2 chambers

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not really displeased with my Thrush Turbos just wanted a bit more volume. I've owned lots of different muffler types on various vehicles. I probably should have bought a couple straight through design (magnaflow) or even the Cherry Bomb Vortex.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Chambered mufflers will always drone. Drone drone drone. Flow masters are nick named drone masters for a reason.

What’s your budget? Are you looking for deep or raspy? Perhaps more of a middle of the road tone I personally called exotic but I guess there’s no real name for it.

Regardless thrush turbos take an oem muffler design and make it higher flowing and smaller. That’s why they are quiet yet have some sound.

Chambered mufflers will drone because that’s the nature of the beast. Flow master designed what they call Delta Flow to help minimize it but it’s still there.

There’s so many routes to take on this subject but we’d need for details on what you want.

If you’re looking to go from thrush turbos to thrush welded ( Flowmaster Original 40 clones ) then you will hate life. They drone so much it’s unreal. It’s why flowmaster came out with the super 40 series which basically is the original with delta flow incorporated into it.

I personally don’t mind drone as long as it sounds good. My stingers drone but not at an annoying tone like my super 44s did. The least droning muffler I ever owned was the MAC Flowpaths. Gave a mix of a flowmaster and Magnaflow tone with extremely good flow characteristics.

Things like mid pipes, cats, and manifolds/headers, and resonators are also going to affect sound. You’re going to want to research the topic a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, MAC, I ran a prochamber and their mufflers for quite awhile. In fact, my wife’s S197 has a total MAC system front to back. Good stuff and I forgot I have some relevant videos that could help.

My ‘98 GT with MAC mufflers and factory h-pipe. It was still pretty quiet.

My 98 GT after a PI swap with long tube headers, an off-road X-pipe and the same MAC mufflers:

My ‘98 GT and Magnaflow Magnapacks but with tail pipes. It was pretty loud!

Wifey’s S197 with MAC 1.75” long tube headers, Prochamber and axle back, just for kicks:

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Ah, MAC, I ran a prochamber and their mufflers for quite awhile. In fact, my wife’s S197 has a total MAC system front to back. Good stuff and I forgot I have some relevant videos that could help.

My ‘98 GT with MAC mufflers and factory h-pipe. It was still pretty quiet.

My 98 GT after a PI swap with long tube headers, an off-road X-pipe and the same MAC mufflers:

My ‘98 GT and Magnaflow Magnapacks but with tail pipes. It was pretty loud!

Sounds damn good! While I absolutely love the sound of the Mac flowpaths, I want to kick Mac for their quality. Like I get they are a small shop but come on.

My favorite H pipe when I had stock manifolds was the MAC three piece design though. It fit so great and the adjustability and ease of install because it was three piece was awesome.

The Mac flowpath cat back had serious figment issues. It was fixed by an exhaust shop cutting and moving things but still.

The flowpath cat back sits in my garage in the old box my borla stringers came in. I’ve been meaning to get rid of it but I don’t have face book so I don’t know how to sell locally and I don’t want to throw them away. I literally just want to give it away lol.

If the stingers didn’t sound so sexy I’d have the flowpaths installed. They are like flowmasters mixed with Magnaflow with such a great flow rate and tone. Not too loud either.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
What's your location? ^^^

He is out in Texas, I believe.

He is out in Texas, I believe.
Sounds damn good! While I absolutely love the sound of the Mac flowpaths, I want to kick Mac for their quality. Like I get they are a small shop but come on.

My favorite H pipe when I had stock manifolds was the MAC three piece design though. It fit so great and the adjustability and ease of install because it was three piece was awesome.

The Mac flowpath cat back had serious figment issues. It was fixed by an exhaust shop cutting and moving things but still.

The flowpath cat back sits in my garage in the old box my borla stringers came in. I’ve been meaning to get rid of it but I don’t have face book so I don’t know how to sell locally and I don’t want to throw them away. I literally just want to give it away lol.

If the stingers didn’t sound so sexy I’d have the flowpaths installed. They are like flowmasters mixed with Magnaflow with such a great flow rate and tone. Not too loud either.

Added a video of my wife’s s197. Arguably the best sounding 3V I’ve ever heard but I’m a little biased :p MAC... They were certainly better in the early 2000’s! Their catback had just enough adjustability for me to get the tips perfect for my taste.

33E3BF5A-5496-452F-9C82-094C1FFCBF78.jpeg

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Regarding the lack of good muffler shops in your area, check if there are any performance chassis shops in your area. There is one in my area and he did a great job modifying my exhaust system to fit and work well.

waynenorcross

Reaction score

I had Magnaflows with a Bassani X-pipe with high flow cats on my '94 Cobra. Also FRPP shorty headers. I wish I had made a recording. The Magnaflows were all stainless including the pipes. Many systems are just stainless mufflers and that is all the warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online