Switching oil brands?

joemomma

Reaction score
I'm really wanting to switch oil brands for the '94. PO used regular old Pennzoil 10W-30, which is fine, but the only place I can find it is online through Amazon. None of the local stores carry the regular stuff, only the high mileage. Thoughts on changing brands to something else I can find locally? I'll stick with conventional oil, but is there any harm in switching to something else?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I found out the hard way what conventional oil does to a performance engine. Its like a boat anchor.

Dubsport

Reaction score
No problems whatsoever changing to synthetic...

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Any sludge buildup from using conventional motor oil without detergents will get knocked loose with a synthetic being that it has the detergents in it. Engine is in for a crude enema!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Any sludge buildup from using conventional motor oil without detergents will get knocked loose with a synthetic being that it has the detergents in it. Engine is in for a crude enema!
I don’t quite believe that. Have you ever torn down a sludged up engine and tried cleaning it? That stuff does not come off easy.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Depends on how far gone it is, how much buildup and for how long. It's all variable.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Almost all conventional motor oil has detergents, only exception are some lawn motor oils because some of the older air cooled motors required non-detergent oil or some really cheap crap I see at the dollar stores. Switching from Pennzoil or any brand name conventional to a synthetic shouldn't cause any problems at all. High mileage oils (both conventional and synthetic) contain special antioxidants, detergents, and additives that can help reduce engine wear and minimize the chances of sludge buildup. High mileage oil also helps prevent aging seals and gaskets from becoming brittle and causing leaks. High mileage oils are suggested for motors with 75,000 miles or more.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I got 150,000miles on my transit mini van. I use the mobile synthetic 20,000 mile stuff. No oil usage, no oil smoke, runs like a top.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
So is the consensus to switch to synthetic then?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.