Tell me about my supercharger...

LilRoush

Reaction score
Sorry I'm late to the game.Here's a little bit for you:

What you have is an Eaton M112. The Eaton 112 cubic inch compressor is the same as the Terminator and the Lightning people are more familiar with. The difference is in the casing of the housing. The Cobra has the nice little side inlet plenum casting, the Lightning has the well known over the top inlet.

The configuration you see was designed by Roush and sold through FRPP as the SVO unit. They are the same other than the brand cast into the top. In fact, some of the Roush cars got the SVO casting. This version was made to use the stock air inlet tube (or any direct bolt on CAI). The air is compressed, then blown upwards into the spider style manifold runners which feed into the heads. They were made to work the the stock NPI heads or the improved Roush heads (again also sold through FRPP as SVO parts). The SVO heads flow better than the PI heads - but pull a pretty penny these days. I'm told this blower also works with PI heads, but you must use the NPI gasket between the intake and the head to block off the proper coolant passages.This is (obviously) a non-intercooled unit. However, it's not a bad thing.

Most got the 6 psi pulley on them and were good for about 300rwhp/tq (a good jump over the stock N/A power levels). There were also 9 psi pullies back then, which were worth a few more hp/tq points. I've heard of an 11psi pulley, but I don't have a lot of information on them. Never used one. It looks like you have the 9psi pulley.

Some will talk smack about them because they don't understand them. I ran mine hard up to 240,000 miles without issue before swapping to a built bottom end. By hard I mean 110+ miles a day in Miami traffic (heat, stop and go, at speed etc...). I also ran it hard around the track down here. I love these blowers. They give you a great powerband and are awesome for a street or road course car. You aren't going to hit a 800 hp with it, but then again, how many guys really need to hit that mark anyway. On a stock bottom end, mine made 347/356 @ 6 psi.

Do you have more pics? It might just be the way I'm seeing it, but your snout doesn't look like the one's I'm used to seeing.

LilRoush

Reaction score
Sorry that turned into a huge block of text. My lap top hates me right now. I'll keep trying to edit into something more friendly on the eyes.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I'll take a couple of more pics when I take it out - when the weather is better.

Any parts you want a photo of in particular?

LilRoush

Reaction score
I can't tell from the original pic if the snout has been upgraded or just a pulley swap.

Here's what the blower looks like off the car.

RoushM112bottom_zps64779fc0.jpg

RoushM112side_zps32f0d7c1.jpg

RoushM112_zps9887819b.jpg

Mine:

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02233.jpg

DSC02144.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mack you have a cool blower that not many people know about.

Ford only supplied the blower with a 6psi pulley and a really crappy tune/ecu when sold new so the numbers were not impressive. Add to that the NPI's stock were not that great and one of the magazines stated this was a M90 back in the day so these blowers have always had a bad reputation with Mustang owners.

Now the Tbird/Cougar guys must be smarter because they buy these things as soon as they hit the market and run 11's with 4000lb IRS auto equipped cars.

Here is mine, which is the last version made and its for PI heads.

PI Ports

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest I'm more interested in driving it for fun than in getting more power. But indeed maybe the opportunity arrises. But I need it tuned first.

What company do you work for?

Mack your car was already dyno tuned from the previous owner IIRC. You have a 3.3 inch pulley which is good for @ 9psi and would require a retune over the one that came with the Supercharger.

The previous owner used to post here and we talked a lot while he had the car.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The bad part about this particular supercharger is heat and limited boost.

A good Methanol kit will help with the temperatures but running more than say 12psi is really hard due to belt slippage.

There isn't much belt wrap around the pulley.

I have a 10% OD crank pulley which will add @ 3psi and I have a 3.3 inch snout pulley from ASP @ 9psi so we will see where that gets me.

I have been wanting to push this blower for several years to see what I can get but with a career change and two kids over the last 4 years the car had to sit. This year it gets done :) so you will know what your Supercharger is capable of.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Reaction score
Mack your car was already dyno tuned from the previous owner IIRC. You have a 3.3 inch pulley which is good for @ 9psi and would require a retune over the one that came with the Supercharger.

The previous owner used to post here and we talked a lot while he had the car.

Yes, the previous owner was a member here too, and I know he posted a lot about building his (my) car. He's still sorry he sold it :D

You're right, as far as I know, that it's 9 psi. I don't know enough about engines or Mustangs to know what that means exactly compared to other Mustangs. If I remember correctly, he told me it needed a good tune when he sold it. The car's running a bit rich and according to my garage (who knows a lot about Mustangs and Saleens) the lack of a good tune holds the supercharger back. On the other hand, the car runs fine and that's why I haven't done anything about it in the 4 yrs I own in now.

LilRoush

Reaction score
The other good option to help this blower out is getting ahold of the SVO/Roush heads it was meant to go with. You'll see a lot better air flow and more power.

I'm with Bob.... I always dreamed of really pushing this blower like I did the M112 on my V6, but then life got in the way. Mine is sitting on a Cobra short block now. I'm curious to see what it will do with the change in comp ratio and a fresh tune.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a Snow Meth Meth kit a few days ago to help cool the supercharger.

Now I need some good weather to get the project rolling and see what this thing can do.

LilRoush

Reaction score
The blower is a SVO M90 Roots.

The blower uses M90 components and rotors. I owned one of these units and know alot about them. They can produce over 300HP or more with Meth injection. Only problem is you cant run alot of boost because there is no intercooler.

I sold my SVO blower to a member and picked up a Kenne Bell 2.1 Innercooled Supercharger and I am more than satisfied with the power.

Really dude? Stick to waxing cars. Did you read any of the posts before posting WRONG INFO?
It's not an M90. Clearly, you knew NOTHING about what you owned. They can make over 300 rwhp WITHOUT any additional cooling. Mine makes 347 @ wheels.

Handz

Reaction score
I aint gonna play games here. Some people says its an M112, other says its an M90. This is just the info I have read when I purchased a SVO supercharger.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Let the supercharger battle begin!

From the info I found its a m112, but is more similar to the m90 we are familiar with than the m112 on my car (termi).

LilRoush

Reaction score
I aint gonna play games here. Some people says its an M112, other says its an M90. This is just the info I have read when I purchased a SVO supercharger.

LilRoush is just trying to be a troll...So i will ignore him.

I would like to know what info you read. If you had read the posts in this thread, you would have seen that it was clearly the M112. It also already clarifies that you can make power without additional cooling. Of the two 'facts' you posted, BOTH were wrong. Put down the weed and try reading a thread before flapping your gums.

Ford's/FRPP's marketing clearly says M112.
SVO's published info clearly says M112.
Roush's published info clearly says M112.
The posts on the T Bird forum about them clearly say M112.
99% of the articles written on it clearly state M112.
You would have to be reading the magazine article that screwed up back in the mid 90's and refered to it as the M90. If that was the case, you need to learn where and how to source your tech.

If you look at it (since you claimed to have had one), it's physically much larger than 90 cubic inches, and exactly the same case size as the other M112s used by many OEM and aftermarket companies.

Handz

Reaction score
If its an M112 then you should be able to slot a 03/04 cobra rotor set into the SVO supercharger.

I sold mine for a twin screw anyways.... Cause Jesus is powered by Kenne Bell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online