The Monkey's house build thread

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had my house hardwired back in az before wireless was everywhere and because my neighbor did it for a living. He had the whole setup with 5 different spools of wire feeding off of a rack so he could run all the cables with one pull through the wall and then split off to the rooms in runs together. He was in/out in maybe 2 hours and needless to say I did not want to crawl through the attic in phoenix anymore then I needed too. I helped him pay for a fight he wanted to get at his house and we had a party that weekend = win/win

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely looks like a good first house. really like the upgrades you have done so far. you've done a lot within the 2.5 months youve owned it, really reminds me of what a slacker i am... Also, never thought of it till seeing you do it to your house but now all i can think about is how cool it would be to run cat6 through my house so i can hardwire a lot of my stuff so its not all running off the wifi.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had my house hardwired back in az before wireless was everywhere and because my neighbor did it for a living. He had the whole setup with 5 different spools of wire feeding off of a rack so he could run all the cables with one pull through the wall and then split off to the rooms in runs together. He was in/out in maybe 2 hours and needless to say I did not want to crawl through the attic in phoenix anymore then I needed too. I helped him pay for a fight he wanted to get at his house and we had a party that weekend = win/win

The neighbor I had help me ran phone lines for his entire career, so similar. It was so long in the attic because to get to some of the rooms without drilling an outside hole was a bit of a bear. So I suffered and wedged myself in terrible places to make it happen. I swallowed a ton of Fiberglass while I was up there lol!

definitely looks like a good first house. really like the upgrades you have done so far. you've done a lot within the 2.5 months youve owned it, really reminds me of what a slacker i am... Also, never thought of it till seeing you do it to your house but now all i can think about is how cool it would be to run cat6 through my house so i can hardwire a lot of my stuff so its not all running off the wifi.

Thanks for the compliments!

That was my big thing. A lot of younger people are picking on me, but I much prefer a solid connection with no question about whether or not Wi-Fi is working. Plus, once they roll out faster internet to the houses, current wireless won't keep up with 1 gig per second like CAT6 can. It's not completely future proof, because of course they have CAT7 and 8 for a ton of money, but it will be good for a long time I am sure.

Looking good monkey!!!

Thanks!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They also have 10x wire but it's more than fiber. Living in the data world I get to play with all these different cables and cat6 will do you well. And no, wireless will never be as fast as hardwired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a house in Indy, checked out the neighborhood after work. Guy next door had a 69 Shelby GT 500 in the garage, guy across the street worked for the Chrysler foundry. I bought that house! Great neighbors. When I moved back to Cleveland, was going to have a house built and walked the neighborhood first. I met a neighbor who had several project cars in his garage and back yard. We became best buds. House I'm in now was my wife's, had room for a second garage so I sold mine and moved into hers. I love the house and the lot, built a a 24x32 heated garage for our Mustangs, but the neighbors on both sides are jerks. Oh well...

g36 monkeys wifey

Reaction score
So, Hurricane Irma decided to come destroy Florida. I was home alone since [MENTION=10997]g36 monkey[/MENTION] had to work (and pretty much won't have a day off until who knows when) and my idiotic self wanted to go play outside at 3am during one of the worst parts of it and well I went for a walk around the block lol Here are some pics I took at night and some in the day time after her bitch ass left. We only lost power for about 25 1/2 hours and we had no major damage to the house thankfully
default_smile.png

Video (click the image to view) of the moment the power went out at 8:30pm --- don't mind my manic laugh at the end =/

After storm watch kittes

Most important, the stangs stayed safe!

Video from the backyard (click the image to view)

Video from the front (click the image to view)

I went out and checked on the neighbors Mustang to make sure it was safe. His cover flew off and I didn't bother trying to put it back on since there were no branches on his car.

The fence between us and our neighbor (with the red jeeps) looking into their backyard

We didn't want these palm trees anyway

We still need to clean this up

Fence on the other side of our house

I really really hated this wood fence so I'm glad it got knocked down

Anyone want to help clean this mess up?

Perfect excuse to cut down a tree limb

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=19833]g36 monkeys wifey[/MENTION]

Tell him to check his messages!! Lol

I tried reaching out to check on y'all but figured he'd been slammed with work.

Glad to see the damage is minimal and everyone is ok.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol Messages checked and replied. I will be posting more on this later. Albeit related to the storm, it is a lot of progress for the house!

I still need to square up some more in the attic but getting things taken care of outside has taken precedence. Bought a nice Stihl chainsaw so I can deal with the rest of the trees. More on that story later!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright so I still haven’t gotten around to taking pics of all the little projects. We have been dealing with a lot of tree stuff since Irma came through. But here is something brief:

Right after the storm I decided I needed a new chainsaw because the 40 year old Echo I had, while a great saw, was not quite up to some of the larger tasks I would have.

I went to Lowe’s hoping for a Husqvarna. All they had in stock was a Poulan. I bought it. The thing would not stay running despite all my tricks. Once warmed up, you could not get it started. The following morning I decided there was just no way. So we went to Ace hardware to look for saws. They had one Stihl saw left on the wall. The sign next to the saw said $420. It was a little steep, but it was all they had.

Get to the check out, well, that saw rang up at like $650. And I said “Well, this is the only saw in town, I am stuck in a pickle.”

So:

Once in the parking lot, I have an immediate case of buyer’s remorse. This Ace hardware has a separate “STIHL” building for maintenance and such. I decided to check in there for saws, luckily I did. As I walked in I see a giant sign on the door “No returns on Stihl equipment” but they said they would make an exception for me since I had not even left the parking lot.

I brought the saw inside that I just bought and they said “WOO SON! You just bought yourself a dirtbike with a chain on it!!” According to them, Stihl has a German line and a US line. The German line is much higher quality and made to be ran day in, day out. This was a German saw. I walked out with a US made saw for about half the cost lol!

Here is the saw I ended up getting. It is by far worth the extra cost over the Poulan.

I managed to get rid of these without taking out the shed. I took the shed out with another tree later. It’s not too bad though. I have a new one to go up, but will probably leave that for items that can handle a little bit of weather.

I replaced the lights in the back yard. Idk if the difference is substantial, but I love LED lights, so, o well. You can see the wreck the back yard is for now in these pics:

Old lights

New lights

We also bought an Ikea entertainment center. Cujo helped put it together. I haven’t ran the surround sound just yet. Waiting for it to cool down a bit then I can clear up that project!

We have some more stuff just have not had a chance to post up! We will get around to it I promise!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright so a little update on the house, post storm – we finally got the rest of the Boss’ stuff from her apartment over here, so right now it is like a small bomb went off in the house, but it is helping us sort out and get a bit more organized and look more like a home!

With that said, here are some pics!

So, first things first, this little one is always very helpful with projects. Enter: Gizmo!

But seriously, something that has been taking up a ton of space in the kitchen for months now, has been an over range microwave still in its box sitting on the kitchen floor. At first, I thought I would need an electrician because I needed to move the range wiring into the cabinet with an outlet, but I gained more confidence in myself. So, we set forward with the task!

I removed the hood, and luckily there was already a giant hole in the wall. Not really sure why, but it made it easy to pass wires up to the cabinet.

Here is the box installed in the cabinet. Woo!

The craziest thing is, if you use a drywall saw to cut up your cabinet, and you push with any amount of force, that saw can move forward, quite a bit. So, then you make idiot inexperienced mistakes, like this one:

I’ll fix that up soon enough, for now, this will have to do:

Anyhow, back to the microwave:

The unboxing...

Here it is all installed. The tile made it a bit more difficult because drilling through it takes a century. I have it held onto the little track with 4 bolts, plus the two up top. The ones in the cabinet really do all of the holding, the wall track is more of a guide than anything. Found out my cabinet base is ¾” or thicker, so I am very confident in its ability to hold.

Next, we finally got her computer desk over here. She’s been working by laying down on the ground to use her computer, so this was definitely much needed:

Excuse the mess on my side (the single monitor side lol) Hard to tell in this pic, but I moved the network stuff onto the book shelf for now. That helped to neaten up some of the spaghetti running into my wall.

We also brought over her TV and stand, this went into our spare bedroom. I think we made good use of it!

Also, I’m not sure if I had posted this or not, but here is the TV hanging on the wall. I am still waiting on some help to get an outlet installed behind the TV. Once it cools down a bit, I will get up in the attic and finish running speaker wire to the rear speakers, and officially check of the surround sound box. I will probably be adding some exhaust fans to the entertainment center, just for longevity and in the event we get anymore electronics in there. Again, sorry about the mess, I have another shelf to match the one on the left, but am waiting to finalize the entertainment center a bit more before putting it together:

Lastly, I don’t remember if I pointed these guys out or not. Found them in the Keys on our vacation. Just thought they were really neat hand-made pieces. Plus, I love Wall-E!

Thanks for looking!!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Small update:

When I first looked at the house, there was a pair of boards on the floor in the garage that I intended to use for shelving. I finally got around to it on Monday. Should help get some more stuff off the ground which means more room for activities!

Do not make fun of my excessive use of brackets!

I know, such craftsmanship to go around that panel. Very woah. I need to trim the tips off of the brackets, and the tips of the screws that stick through the shelf, I just didn’t feel like moving the banana when I finished up.

The Boss got out there and did a ton of clean up since the brush got picked up finally! You can see the toll it took on the front half of the yard (not that my yard is pretty or anything, but still.) One of the next projects we are planning is laying out square timbers around the bases of the trees and mulching them, then extending the driveway over to the left tree, either with pavers or concrete. One of the neighbors does paver work so that’s possible.

Those little hedge plants on the right will go, and probably the hedges by the house as well. Once all of that is taken care of we will probably re-sod.

The back yard is still a wreck, and I have a ton of debris and stumps. Waiting on someone to come out with a machine to help me take care of all of it, hopefully they will do another large trash pickup for free, if not, big deal.

Not pictured in this one, we got some end tables in the living room. A cold front is supposed to come through this week. That may give me enough incentive to climb up in the attic and knock out the surround sound stuff! Once that is taken care of I will add some cooling/lighting to the entertainment center and call it a day!

Thanks for looking!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Congrats on the new house! Looks like you've put is some hard work already. Oh, and cool coffee cup :p lol

2v823hz.jpg

vh3o1e.jpg

Thought that was funny as I'm drinking out of the same coffee cup right now

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Watching the progress is alot of fun! Im happy for you monkey!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol [MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION], coffee cups unite.

Hoping to have some more updates soon. Working 7 days straight right now, but it should be cooling down enough to be able to get in the attic and finish up another run of cat 6 and the surround stuff!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright everyone, small update.

First, Happy Thanksgiving!

Next, I finally got around to running the surround sound. It was cool enough the other night that it was actually colder in the attic than in the house so I didn’t sweat too bad.

I did a bit of future proofing while I was there. Some subwoofers run on positive – negative wiring, some run on a coax. So, I ran both over to where my sub sits.

The whole system is done up with 14 gauge wiring.

Now the last step will be to add an electrical outlet behind the TV, which I should be able to do pretty easily because there is an outlet I will tap into in the bedroom that is behind the wall. There is not one located in the same room that would work conveniently.

I also ordered a 6 fan system with a thermostat for the entertainment center which should help to suck out some of the heat and hopefully preserve the electronics – should be here tomorrow.

The nice thing about doing it all this way, if I want to change speakers to higher quality later on, it’s a matter of unplugging and plugging in, very simple.

Tell me what you think!

I initially mounted the speaker upside down. Meh.

The couch is pushed off the wall in this shot. It’s pretty much dead center between the speakers now that it’s up against the wall.

This is a 7.1 plate, but I only ran 5.1 at this time. I don’t really have a place for the other two speakers. Though, the Onkyo receiver I have can transmit to those speakers as “other room” speakers so they play the full range, instead of the surround noises. But, I doubt I will ever do that at this house.

This is what I mentioned earlier. The subwoofer RCA cable to Coax, or the option of using it as a +/- sub.

The front left. Good shot of the Ethernet cables too.

Finally, the boss also picked up these awesome bar stools! Really goes well with the rest of the theme of the house!

Thanks for looking!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Run the other two speaker wires to a set of outside speakers for your back yard.

And what kind of subs are you looking at that run off of coax?!?!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to admit I am not as up to date on home audio as I am car but I have never seen a home audio sub using a coax connection. I have read where some amps like a signal cable made like coax vs a twisted pair but it still had an rca end on it either way.

Can you rotate those rear speakers in to help cover the terminal plate and wiring?

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Run the other two speaker wires to a set of outside speakers for your back yard.

And what kind of subs are you looking at that run off of coax?!?!

I may eventually do that, but certainly not any time soon. See below for that answer lol.

I have to admit I am not as up to date on home audio as I am car but I have never seen a home audio sub using a coax connection. I have read where some amps like a signal cable made like coax vs a twisted pair but it still had an rca end on it either way.

Can you rotate those rear speakers in to help cover the terminal plate and wiring?

They make cables for it that are RG6 on one end and RCA on the other. In this case, i bought a keystone jack with a female to female RCA on one side and RG6 on the other. Then I bought an RG6 male to RCA male for the other end.

I bought a quad shielded coax. I could have probably found a 50 foot RCA cable, but the coax accomplishes the same task and is acceptable to carry the sub signal. Basically all I've done is make a high quality 50 foot RCA cable with a couple adapted ends.

The rear speakers will probably change. This setup was expensive when it was new, but Onkyo is known for giving you lower quality speakers with a top notch receiver. But, like I mentioned. The major advantage to this system is now if I want to upgrade speakers it's easy to just pop them on and off the wall or wherever.

If I had a DB reader I could setup each individual speaker to hit the same DB from the "listening position" (center of the couch) but I don't, so I just "played it by ear" (pun intended)

I tried to minimize how much exposed wire there was, which is why those plates are right next to the speakers. I've seen a lot of pro installs do it this way. But there's a million ways to skin this cat.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I see what your doin. When we do custom theaters here we either make custom length rca cables or we do optic. I thought you meant you had seen subs with coax inputs. Lol

Did your onkyo not com with Audysey?? It should of had a microphone that you place in the sweet spot and it adjust the time alignment perfectly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online