The Monkey's house build thread

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my Onkyo used. I believe it's a 2015 model, and I don't think it came with anything like that. And no sorry for the confusion lol. The COAX is only to carry the signal, which it apparently does quite well.

Reading the manual on the receiver it basically just tells you to use a listening device to make the adjustments. I can look through it for the thing you mentioned though. i was just breezing through for a rapid setup just to get it all up and running to make sure all the speakers worked on the first try (and they did! PHEW!)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure the audissey stuff is only on the high end stuff. I have an ooooooold onkyo integra dtr6 I picked up around 99 still in use today. I had an alpine deck with the audissey self tuning eq and it was neat but I didn't like the sound it came up with and then it was not adjustable after it did it so I did not use it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the onkyo complete kits come with it. Look on the back of the receiver and see if it has either “Mic†or Audysee written by and input. If so then you only need to order the mic. They’re pretty cheap online.

I never cared for the alpine audysee setup but on the onkyo home units it works really really good for setting the time alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I searched the product manual and that word is not in there anywhere, so I imagine this one does not have it.

Hoping to add my fans to my cabinet today. I got the airplate series:

1280x720-6Op.jpg

NJNcILU.jpg

I am planning to place the fans like this. One intake on the bottom (underneath the Onkyo unit) one exhaust in the middle of the center cabinet, and one exhaust on the peripheral cabinets.

The ones in the center cabinet are both double fans, where the peripheral ones are just singles (because as of now I am not really planning on much equipment being in them, but may as well future proof.

Any issues with doing it this way?

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
7 hours ago, Prokiller said:
this is something i still want to do in the basement. the plates are the way to go. how does it sound?

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

As far as I can tell it sounds great! The rear speakers seem a little quiet, but I am also not used to surround sound. When I put them on the test function they get loud, so I doubt there is any sort of connectivity issue. I probably just haven't listened to anything with loud rear sounds. But I also haven't sat down and thoroughly enjoyed a movie or anything just yet. Both runs to the rear are about 30 ft, so I am sure the 14 ga wire is plenty.

I managed to get around to doing the fans. I used the Infinity A/C Airplate fans. In total there are six fans running on a controller. I will also be putting a laptop style cooling fan directly over the receiver, and probably cutting holes in the centers of the shelves to add some extra air flow.

I did not really take any in progress pics but here:

20171127_164645

There are two of these. One at the top acting as an exhaust, one on the bottom bringing in fresh air.

20171127_164702

There are also two of these acting as exhaust only in the peripheral cabinets, though right now I do not have anything in those cabinets that gets warm, it is good for future proofing.

20171127_164642

Here you can see the control module mounted in the back. The fans are controlled by a thermostat and have a number of different modes. I am just trying to figure out what temperature is safe for this thing to operate at.

20171127_164713

I can not help it looking a little scraggly. The fans come pre-wired ready to be daisy-chained, so they have extra wire and it's all knotted looking. I did what I could to press it up against the unit and keep it tied neatly.

From what I have read, people say the receiver should be on top to expel the most heat. Sigh, I like it where it is, but if I can't get the results I want with a few center cuts in the shelving and the additional lap top fan, that will be the next step I suppose. But hopefully it gets all squared up.

I also bought a "Vorke" android box for Kodi. I have not had much of a chance to play with it yet, but I will be programming it with a Fire TV remote. This infrared stuff is too out dated.

Thanks for looking :)

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
14 gauge is more than heavy enough at only 30ft. Your not gonna hear much out of the rears until needed in certain parts of the movie. 80% of all sound will come from the fronts, center mainly. If you want a more balanced sound then you will need to adjust the optimization. Certain versions of Dolby will be more forward dominant and others are more balanced. Your receiver should hopefully have multiple settings that you can try.

I like the fan setup, where’s you find that??

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
14 gauge is more than heavy enough at only 30ft. Your not gonna hear much out of the rears until needed in certain parts of the movie. 80% of all sound will come from the fronts, center mainly. If you want a more balanced sound then you will need to adjust the optimization. Certain versions of Dolby will be more forward dominant and others are more balanced. Your receiver should hopefully have multiple settings that you can try.

I like the fan setup, where’s you find that??

The fans are available on Amazon. Not as cheap as throwing some fans together from Radio Shack, but way nicer, and thermally controlled.

I figured as much about the audio. Like I said, the nice thing is now if I want to upgrade or anything it's going to be a snap.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have ran a few different home stereo rack systems and the only time I got concerned about heat was when I added some kind of game station to it. A home audio amp will get warm but not hot unless your banging on it for a long time.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I love onkyo receivers for the features and sound quality but they do tend to run a bit warm especially if you enclose them.

Anytime you put a receiver in a fully enclosed cabinet you should have a way to cool it. They’re not as robust as mobile amps which are built to deal with a lot more heat and abuse.

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's not "fully" enclosed, but it is enclosed on the sides and rear. I moved the above shelf up a notch, and I will now be running a laptop fan on top of it, and will cut holes in the centers of the two shelves and put a grate over them. Should not be seen with equipment on top of them, but with the holes cooling will be tremendously increased.

According to the thermometer, the unit gets up to 100* before too long, but it has not gone up much more than that. I have not tested it out with the lap top fan in place.

Swapped out the fan in the living room yesterday, which ended up being a big pain. I will post more about that later!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Some quick updates on the house. Finally got around to getting my remote switch done in the living room, then purchased a universal fan remote and set it up the same way, and mounted it to the wall. This was much easier than rewiring the room to add a switch by the bedroom door, and it works exactly the way I hoped! Anyhow:

I guess I don’t have a shot of the old ceiling fan, but I replaced it with this one since it was making noise. This one is a 60 inch monster, and it looks pretty good. The one I took out had a hefty 4 bulb light kit with full size bulbs. I put 100W LED bulbs in, so it was like turning on the sun. This one uses Candelabra bulbs (all the fans I looked at did) but I was able to put LED bulbs in at least to help with output.

I added to the ventilation a bit in the cabinet, and did some rearranging. I now have the receiver on top since that it was everyone recommends. That alone cut heat down considerably. These Airplate fans are neat. I also bought one of their Aircom fans for on top of the receiver. If I turn that on, I can shed about 20* in a matter of minutes, I would say that is pretty incredible.

The shelves are all about function. If anyone is picking up my A/V equipment and judging my shelves, we have more of an issue.

Since I rearranged I needed a new hole to pass wires through, and I couldn’t get to my drill in the garage and did not feel like moving the cars around. So, don’t be a chump. Use a hole saw with your hands! It actually worked quite well lol.

Here it is as it sits. I have a credit at Monoprice, so I may look into a 4K receiver unless I find something else that they sell that I really need. We will see what the near future holds.

I let the system stretch its legs a bit watching all of the Terminator movies. Definitely enhances the viewing experience. I am really happy I finally did it!

I have been trying to get a tree company out to do the last few trees and help me with stump removal. I need to get on it quick, since my neighbor just had all of this delivered:

So, immediate priority is getting all of the trees finished, then I will knock out the fence ASAP. Then I can put my new shed together, and get some pavers in the back yard for the red car to park on! It’s getting there.

Thanks for looking!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Be glad you don’t have all of this to sort through..........
475a0ed6941c8387a6a1dd62e7cbf790.jpg
afbe3d428e7302006397272152cfa5e2.jpg
711867c3c89c82dd232ada06b037c2e5.jpg
a0677b0d30613508e0d9553581ddeb36.jpg

Keep it all simple or the monster can grow out of control quick!!!!! Lol

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bwahaha Easier to do it now than running it in the attic like I had to!

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Over the last few days my dad and I really went to town. Finally got all of the trees taken DOWN! Now it’s just some clean up. I have booked a mack-daddy stump grinder for the weekend to go ahead and knock everything out, then hopefully get the fence up!

Here are some pics, they should speak for themselves.

I finally pulled these ugly scraggly bushes.

This was the biggest pain. This pic has most of the “scary” branches taken down.

The most scraggly oak trees ever! (Dad made an appearance!)

Our intricate pulley system, we did this to keep constant pressure on one of the trees near the shed to avoid taking it out (again).

Woo! Shed Clear!

So you can really see how crazy the branches were on these trees.

I decided to make a big fire out of some of the brush, it ended up working out quite well. I wish I would have done this for some of the other branches, it would have saved on pickup costs!

Will have some updates with the rest!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your house is like ours...to many trees. We knocking them out few at a time. Wished my dad was around to help out.

Your house is looking great! Ownership feels great

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your house is like ours...to many trees. We knocking them out few at a time. Wished my dad was around to help out.

Your house is looking great! Ownership feels great

Thanks man! Luckily now I am officially down to two palms only!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sweaty and Rosie??

Doesn’t your girl help you with that!???

OP
OP
g36 monkey

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright so all of the trees are officially dealt with. I rented a big stump grinder and in total ground 20 stumps, including a couple large oaks for my neighbor. Really excited to have my yard back! Here are some pics:

Dad running the beast!

I believe the largest tree was about 22” in diameter, so nothing too crazy but not tiny.

Next up is to finish up the fence and gates. Then I will start worrying about getting grass and such down.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man!!!! The bonfire we could have with so much wood!!!!! Lol

Take the biggest diameter sections and cut a centered star design. Then you can get it to burn from center and it’s like a homemade fire pit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online