The Past and Future of the SN95

07GtS197

Reaction score
One big thing I see hindering the sn95 (save the 94-95s) is that they came with the npi motors and are crap in stock form. Think about it, most people buy cars and do little mods to them and those motors dont make much hp with bolt ons. And in 10+ years youll see 4 cylinder cars making twice the hp that the npi motor had stock and most people would probably shy away. Boost is cheap for these cars but boosting a stock motor can only do so much, youll be on par with a coyote maybe which isnt great. Plus they lack what the good old 302 has, cubes. The nice thing about the older cars is that they have the older pushrod motors and can be customized like crazy and make tons of power na. Plus you could easily drop in say a 351w and be faster than a coyote for about the same price. And you can easily carb swap them and drop in a 460 or something with no problems since you dont have to circumvent obd2. Until coyote swaps (andbeing able to keep you ac with the swap lol) become cheap, I dont see too much in terms of popularity like the foxbody.

The coyote swap will likely be the 302 based stroker of the sn95s.

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
One big thing I see hindering the sn95 (save the 94-95s) is that they came with the npi motors and are crap in stock form. Think about it, most people buy cars and do little mods to them and those motors dont make much hp with bolt ons. And in 10+ years youll see 4 cylinder cars making twice the hp that the npi motor had stock and most people would probably shy away. Boost is cheap for these cars but boosting a stock motor can only do so much, youll be on par with a coyote maybe which isnt great. Plus they lack what the good old 302 has, cubes. The nice thing about the older cars is that they have the older pushrod motors and can be customized like crazy and make tons of power na. Plus you could easily drop in say a 351w and be faster than a coyote for about the same price. And you can easily carb swap them and drop in a 460 or something with no problems since you dont have to circumvent obd2. Until coyote swaps (andbeing able to keep you ac with the swap lol) become cheap, I dont see too much in terms of popularity like the foxbody.

The coyote swap will likely be the 302 based stroker of the sn95s.

I agree that the coyote swap will become the most popular swap with these cars in time.. But do you think the SN 94-98 will ever become desirable collector itself?... More or less than the fox? Or will it fall off like the late 70s mustangs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
Yes, the Fox body remains an incredibly popular drag racing platform, and the 5.0 engine is far better for performance than first-generation 4.6 engines. But the SN95 Mustang offers so many more improvements over the Fox body, including a better interior, more Mustang-like looks (I always though the Fox body looked very European) and improved handling.

Umm hello? The 94/95 has the fox engine and the SN95 chassis, he makes it clear he knows that, but he never gives it any props.....

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
One of the things I have noticed over the past couple of years is people new to the car scene do not like fox-era Mustangs. To them they look dated and boring. Maybe these idiots will drive up the prices on SN's one day, but I doubt it.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
yawn.png

07GtS197

Reaction score
I agree that the coyote swap will become the most popular swap with these cars in time.. But do you think the SN 94-98 will ever become desirable collector itself?... More or less than the fox? Or will it fall off like the late 70s mustangs?

Desireable as a collector? No but neither is the foxbody. Its hard to say if either ever will be but I doubt it. The first generation mustang is desirable because its the very first incarnation of the mustang and theyre a muscle car (unlike the sn95s) from the 60s-70s muscle car era. The main reason people buy fox's is that theyre so light, have a motor with lots of potential, or can have pretty much any motor swapped in with ease, and are plentiful. People turn them into racecars, you never see anyone restore them to factory condition like the older stangs. If they ever do become popular its to do a coyote swap in them, itll be the next foxbody but for the new generation.

RichV

Reaction score
Fast is just an engine. You can do whatever in that department if that's important to you. But the V8 option of that year will be worth more than the other offerings if same options/condition.

Just like anything, it's gonna be the rare models and low mileage cars that go up in value 1st. But as an average, SN prices are right there with Fox cars. There seem to be more SN cars available, but are on par with Foxes. $3-5k for most V8s in average shape. Up from there.

I do agree the 94/95 pushrod models will always be higher on the value list, people just like those motors. They've only been in the Mustang since 1964!!

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
The Cobra models will be the first go up in value. I give it another 5-10 years when less and less of them are even for sale. The GT's will go up if they meet the unicorn standards which is stock or almost stock with uber low mileage. Now for the sn95's that have high miles but a clean body, those will most likely get turn into some sort of race car variant.

turion94

Reaction score
The more these cars get road hard and "customized" the more desirable they will be in stock clean form in the long run. Even if they have high miles they will be valuable if in clean strait condition. Mostly because you won't find very many of them left like that. There is a generation of people who have memories or are creating them right now with these cars and in the future they will pay to re-live their youth. The demand will go up and the supply will have gone down. How much value that translates to nobody knows.

OP
OP
mustangmurley

mustangmurley

Reaction score
I don't see tons of 94-98 SNs in Indiana and if I do they are pretty rough. So what you're saying is if I find a pushrod 94-95 with low miles and a clean body it might be a good idea to tuck it in the corner for 10-15 years.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My racer buddy has a teal green 93 gt and has been offered $28k for it! This could happen to any year sn95. If each year has a collector car, what car would be favored in for year?

Mines a 96gt. Im guessing Cobra, Camaro Z28, corvette, viper, supra, possibly an impala,

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I might have missed it but the article didn't mention anything about it being car of he year in 94. While a lot of the die hard mustang fans like to think they are superior to the sn being either in a fox or a coyote but the coyote people probably do not even realize that the car of the year and sales #'s it had is what kept the mustang from having the same fate as the camaro. If they had kept the fox or gone ahead with the mustang/probe plans and not done what they did, the mustang would be dead. So you can talk crap all you want about it but imo, it saved the car from being dropped at least for a short time but otherwise imagine all the fun we would have now with the probe/mustant?

I also have to laugh at when I get people to tell me how they thought it was ugle or a girls car with all the curves when it first came out. I know as one of the lucky poeple driving one of the first 94's in town that I never got anything less then a compliment, an offer to buy or someone wanting to race when they saw it.

as for if they will become classics? Do you think Carol Shelby would have said the non-shelby "secretary's car" would ever become a classic? Of course it there will be money for those care that had never been touched/driven/enjoyed but I think there will also be $$$ in the really bad assed cars that were not rushed and has everything in teh right places. Will someone make their money back on the build sn? doubtfull...

Mack

Reaction score
Firstly, the article is from 2012. A long time ago.

Secondly, I do believe the SN95 can get popular, for 2 reasons:
1. Everybody thinks about the cars they grew up with. For kids growing up in the 90s, a fox is an old car. The SN95 is the car they grew up with, the one that was on posters in their room. Once this generation has the money for a hobby car, they will buy what they loved when they were young. So there will be a bigger demand, and good ones will be hard to find
2. The SN95, like every 90s car, was the last car that was not a computer. After 2000, cars relied more on computers, which makes them break down for no apparent reason and makes them hard to work on. The SN95 had a simple computer but it basically a very simple car. You already see people wanting to go back to this pre-computer era, when devices and cars could not be followed or hacked. The SN95 will be recognized for that

Even in the Netherlands I'm starting to see people recognizing the SN95 as a car worth saving. This makes me happy.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This type of thread seems to come up every now and then (which is, of course, perfectly fine - we are here to have discussions). Having said that, these cars will not be anything special 10 years from now. I seriously doubt they will be a collectors item. The kind of competition they will up against in 5 years alone (much less 10) will keep interest low. There might be a few people out there that have nostalgia for the car and therefore will be willing to drop some money on a mint/low mile one. But to think that 5 years from now, some enthusiast is going to be like "Uuugh, I just don't know, do I want the 94 Mustang GT or the BMW M3??? This is sooo hard!!" is just kind of ridiculous IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 95. But to think that this car being stacked up against other cars that are already desirable, plus all the even faster cars that will be newer and more reliable - I just don't think so. These cars are special to us, and perhaps will always be special to us, but seen as collectibles by the world? No, sorry.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
This type of thread seems to come up every now and then (which is, of course, perfectly fine - we are here to have discussions). Having said that, these cars will not be anything special 10 years from now. I seriously doubt they will be a collectors item. The kind of competition they will up against in 5 years alone (much less 10) will keep interest low. There might be a few people out there that have nostalgia for the car and therefore will be willing to drop some money on a mint/low mile one. But to think that 5 years from now, some enthusiast is going to be like "Uuugh, I just don't know, do I want the 94 Mustang GT or the BMW M3??? This is sooo hard!!" is just kind of ridiculous IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 95. But to think that this car being stacked up against other cars that are already desirable, plus all the even faster cars that will be newer and more reliable - I just don't think so. These cars are special to us, and perhaps will always be special to us, but seen as collectibles by the world? No, sorry.

This is a tough one. i apologize in advanced if I state things obvious to some. The title says the past and future so ill start with the past

Lets focus on just the 96-98 cars performance for a second and what time they came from. They came from a time period when a 12 second car required a roll cage to run at the strip and 10 second cars were stupid fast. We have come along way since then. Now in 2016, 10 second cars require the roll cage and 8 second cars are stupid fast. Thats a HUGE difference.

Stock time for the The 98 Cobra is 13.8 - Stock 98 GT 15.1 - Stock 98 V6 17.0 Those are respectable times back then. Not Now. The f*cking Toyota Camry v6 2016 has a 0-60 of 5.8 seconds (Cobra stock is 5.4 seconds) The Camrys quartermile time is 14.3 @93! - Id say the current mustang lineup right now is the pace to follow The 4 cyl and 6 cyl is running high 13's and the GT is running 12.6-12.8. The Higher Performance models are minimum somewhere in the 11's.

Thats straight line, now as for turning were COMPLETELY behind the curve. Factory suspension is just awful. My 1997 is still factory stock, (as you know) my 1998 has full UPR suspension setup, their is a particular part of road i have in mind down at my local track. It is approx a mile straight away to a right curve. I wouldnt dare take that curve above 50 mph in the 1997 factory stock suspension. The Cobra I have taken it at approx 95-100 and that was playing it safe, it could have taken more but i wasnt about to push it any further just yet. Car drives like its on rails now that its modded and i wouldnt want it any-other way. Bringing me to my next point, I feel restomodded SN95's/Clean Factory Stock SN95s will be desired one day, ten years? EHHHH IDK im guessing a littleee bit longer. One of the reasons the desirable factor is low is because People are afraid to mod them to full potential because of book values. (something i do not care about because i wont be selling) Hell we all know a new supercharger setup alone can easily go 4500-6K in parts. 4500-6k... you can find an entire GT AND/or COBRA with mid mileage around that neighborhood of price right now, makes alot of folks hesitant. Another reason is simply lack of time to modify.

Some will want to buy em built, some will want as close to stock so they can modify it themselves. Then of-course you have those numbers matching, low miles, factorystock all-original car guys, (factory lover.) They will want to get them and preserve it if thats what your into. PEOPLE ARE SAVING THEM!

I know currently their are certain areas in the US which these cars can be found easily such as Louisiana or Texas but over here I RARELY see a 94-98 period, let alone a nice one, if i do its beat up to hell. I think eventually, (who knows how long) a nice example wont be so easy to find. Thats when desire will climb

turion94

Reaction score
I take back my previous statement after reading this. So this wealthy guy is a car collector who has a pretty big selection of cars and has a sweet spot for Corvettes. This statement right here pretty much applies to our Mustangs. Let's face it. They will never be worth all that much. Read this and see for yourselves.

"Tomorrow's Corvette will be WAY better than the best one right now. That you can count on. It will be faster, it will handle better, it will have more body integrity and it will be better even if its powered by hybrid/batteries. That is what technology does. This is true for any car that its entire merit is largely based on the numbers it turns on a dyno, the numbers it does 0-60, the numbers it does around a track, etc. If you buy the latest and greatest car, tomorrow will make a fool of you an reduce your investment drastically. It always does! Why play that game??? That is not collecting or investing in cars, its wasting money if you consider yourself in the car hobby. If you just want a new car and don't care, hey no problem at all, but do not ever think that car will be an investment in your lifetime. The cards are so stacked against you its not funny.

Then it goes the other way. I run into guys all the time that want to talk about how fast their 67 435 corvette is and how much its worth. These cars have seemed to have capped out for many reasons. The three I give them are performance, or lack there of, substance, or lack there of, and tolerance level. They are really hard to tolerate! Obviously guys talking about how fast these old cars are have not driven competitively enough to realize that a 90s Cadillac with a Northstar would make a fool of it, let alone a ZR1 of any year, ZO6 or whatever. People base the price and value on these cars not necessarily for their rareness, but for their performance, or in this case, historic performance. The awakening has put lots of reality into those that have tried to relive their youths through old performance cars. You just forgot what they were like, and when you get them, you don't like them! You will not have the fastest thing on the road with these old cars, in fact your current daily driver may even be faster and you just don't know it."

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
^ this pretty much sums up what i said in a different way.

"Resto modding" is the only answer to compete/keep up with modern performance and if "your" worrying about book value forget about it now.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
You guys get a chance, click over to youtube and watch a few clips of "petrolicious". This is a channel about owners of popular, but odd cars. Some ive never seen...ever. The channel mostly displays undesirable cars of the past and their owners personality. I feel like the sn95 rides along with owners of this show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online