Throwing codes

rb30dett

Reaction score
Hello, I have not formally introduced myself in the newb forum; I will get to it soon, just need to post a quick question. My 98 Cobra is throwing a few codes. I installed a CAI, throttle body, x-pipe, exhaust, and a tuner and everything was fine. These mods were done about 3 weeks ago. I had Ford throw in a set of 3.73's and a bearing rebuild kit. This is where I noticed an issue. Here are the codes...

P0420- catalyst system efficiency below threshold (b1)
P1000- obd systems readiness test not complete
P1260- theft detected, vehicle immobilized

My first guess is they might not have unplugged the battery before they started working on the gears because everything seemed to be working perfectly, or they are codes that need to cycle out of the system. P1260 is obvious BS because I can drive it. If anyone can shed some light to the subject, that would be great. Thanks a lot for your help.

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
also make sure you buy a speedcal if you dont already have one! your speedo/mileage will be off since you changed the gears...

OP
OP
R

rb30dett

Reaction score
I bought an off road x-pipe. You just made me remember something. Bama tuned my piggy back for a catted x-pipe. Also my tuner should suffice for the gears. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just have to take the tuner into work tomorrow and plug it up to a Microsoft computer so I can get them to fix it; my personal PC is an Apple and won't recognize the hardware, for some reason.

OP
OP
R

rb30dett

Reaction score
Also, the motor "sputters" at high rpm (5,500 and up). I think this might also be due to the inaccurate tune for the exhaust. Any thoughts?

JDwhite98gt

Reaction score
Yes your tune should be redone for the no cats. You can turn off the CEL light with the tuner but you can not adjust the tune for the gears in a pre-99 stang...your gauges are mechanical. A speedo gear should work for 3.73's but I would go the more accurate route and buy a speed-cal.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes you can buy a speedo gear for the trans. It will get you close. Mine is off by 3mph at 70mph.

OP
OP
R

rb30dett

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys. I will be fixing the issue shortly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online