Throwout bearing replacement (labor)

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
This is my daily, I've never dropped a transmission before. So I'll be having someone swap out the tob, pilot bearing.. One friend said 200, another shop said 375 (guy i know) and he said he'll change the crossmember aswell. I'm afraid to call the tranny shop and ask them. X pipe needs to come off, tranny dropped, so I know there's a decent amount of labor. What should a fair price be?

Barner1

Reaction score
I got quoted $375 at 2 shops here (northwest Tennessee) First guy said $275. Then he found out I had long tube headers & said "better add $100". Next shop was $375. Told him I had LT's, he said "no change". Sounds like your shop is right on with prices here

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I got quoted $375 at 2 shops here (northwest Tennessee) First guy said $275. Then he found out I had long tube headers & said "better add $100". Next shop was $375. Told him I had LT's, he said "no change". Sounds like your shop is right on with prices here

Only thing that bugs me is both prices are from friends. I hate doing work on friends cars and vice versa unless we're helping eachother. I always hated the thought if something went wrong, it'll turn into wtf did you do to my car and end a friendship.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than $200 around my area.

And how is your tob going out already? Didn't you just put in a new one when you did your swap?

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than $200 around my area.

And how is your tob going out already? Didn't you just put in a new one when you did your swap?

New York seems to have a more expensive labor rate than most places. Gears is about the only general thing spot on as far as money wise. Idk man its squealing like a pig. I've been told if the clutch fork wasn't greased it'll put extra wear and tear on the tob. Its an oem part I got through my local ford dealer.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
All of those prices seem super reasonable. I did my clutch, TOB, PB, and everything with my dad in the garage, and it was just slightly short of a nightmare. Unless you have a lift, and all the specialty tools, I wouldn't recommend DIY. I would have gladly paid $300-400 to just wash my hands of it.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
All of those prices seem super reasonable. I did my clutch, TOB, PB, and everything with my dad in the garage, and it was just slightly short of a nightmare. Unless you have a lift, and all the specialty tools, I wouldn't recommend DIY. I would have gladly paid $300-400 to just wash my hands of it.

I have tools (not trans specific) and my dad knows how to work on cars, as do I. But I've never touched a transmission before. All I have is jackstands and a spot in the street where I park. And its like 30 degrees out. It's my daily and I don't want to screw anything up then wind up towing it somewhere.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
I have tools (not trans specific) and my dad knows how to work on cars, as do I. But I've never touched a transmission before. All I have is jackstands and a spot in the street where I park. And its like 30 degrees out. It's my daily and I don't want to screw anything up then wind up towing it somewhere.

I'm in the same boat, my dad has been a garage mechanic for his entire life. And having all tools (non trans specific), two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, and a heated garage, it was still horrible. I would never want to do this in a street in the cold.

You need a lot of space too.

EbFDoKy.png

Just pay for the labor, it might suck at first, but trust me, working on your first transmission in the street with only jacks and stands is going to suck so much worse.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, my dad has been a garage mechanic for his entire life. And having all tools (non trans specific), two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, and a heated garage, it was still horrible. I would never want to do this in a street in the cold.

You need a lot of space too.

EbFDoKy.png

Just pay for the labor, it might suck at first, but trust me, working on your first transmission in the street with only jacks and stands is going to suck so much worse.

You have a mansion sized space compared to this shack sized spot I got lol. I'll swallow my pride and let someone else do it. If I had a daily and this was a toy, I'd attempt it. But at the same time I wouldn't want something to go wrong and then be that guy towing it to get it fixed.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
How bad is it squealing? Mine has been doing it for the past 3 years

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I don't think 375 is bad, and 200 is a steal! I did my clutch with the luxury of my woman's family shop and a 4 post lift. Still a huge pita and took many hours. I've changed clutches on 3 different cars and the mustang was the roughest, doing it on the side of the street isn't even an option IMO

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, dropping the trans is a pain. Especially if in the street. Everywhere around here is about 300 for a clutch job.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
~$300.00 around Denver. the only reason id hesitate is because the pilot bearing is a huge pain if the engine isn't pulled first...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it in the street but definitely in the garage or driveway. I've replaced my trans twice in the garage, on jack stands, without any specialty tools, by myself.
The last time I had my 14 year old daughter under the car using the torque wrench.
It's not that bad guys. If you have just a little mechanical ability you can handle dropping the trans. Sure it would be easier with a lift or a trans jack but you don't NEED it.

Why is the one guy going to "replace the crossmember". trans mount yes. but the whole crossmember? wtf?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you pay someone to pull the tranny?!?
It's the most fun you can possibly have :) I've done it a few times now...

But yeah, doing it on the street is sketch. Those prices don't seem horrible.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dropping the trans wasn't really all that bad. Though I did it in a garage and not in the street. I can see being the street sucking. But these tranny's are actually pretty light, so once you get stuff out of the way, it ain't no thang. When I did it, I had a good set of tools (nothing special is needed IIRC), a good set of ramps to lift the car up off the ground (all 4 wheels), and I did not have LT's. The thing that sucked the most for me was getting the driveshaft bolts off the U-joint. Otherwise it was fairly smooth sailing, and that was the first time I'd ever dropped the trans on a Mustang.

Having said that, ~$300 isn't bad at all for a shop to do it; see if a shop that's not your friends comes close to that price.

Good luck! I have to do mine again because, like an idiot, I did not replace the rear mail seal while I was in there and surprise, it's leaking now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online