To buy or not to buy 96 GT

zeestraten46

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
i wouldnt pay over 6500, actually i wouldnt go back and buy a GT if i knew how slow they are...i mean my GT is nice for a daily driver, but if you want something with some decent speed no matter when, get a cobra.
or just spend alot of $$ making a 2v QUICK :hammer:

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
zeestraten46 said:
DFG_Pimpin said:
i wouldnt pay over 6500, actually i wouldnt go back and buy a GT if i knew how slow they are...i mean my GT is nice for a daily driver, but if you want something with some decent speed no matter when, get a cobra.
or just spend alot of $$ making a 2v QUICK :hammer:

PI cams and intake, LT's, mid pipe and exhaust. Doesnt sound too expensive to me. With some good meat on the rear tires That should run consistant 13's which would keep me happy.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
DS002 said:
PI cams and intake, LT's, mid pipe and exhaust. Doesnt sound too expensive to me. With some good meat on the rear tires That should run consistant 13's which would keep me happy.
if you are content with just barely breakin into the 13's, then buy yourself a GT and do some boltons...but if you really want some speed, don't.

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
I didnt buy it, Im going to keep looking around and start looking more into the 99-04's. You guys were right about the power, it was fun up to about 3500 rpm's then it just had nothing. Felt like it should've redlined at 4k.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
DS002 said:
I didnt buy it, Im going to keep looking around and start looking more into the 99-04's. You guys were right about the power, it was fun up to about 3500 rpm's then it just had nothing. Felt like it should've redlined at 4k.

Yeah, if you are going for speed a 96-98 isn't what you should be looking for unless you want to spend big money. What is your goal for the car? Because if you want a fast car, I would buy a 94-95 gt and mod that. If you are looking for a real reliable daily driver that isn't too bad on gas and that you want to mod slowly, a 99-04 would be the better choice.

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
Im a big fan of the modular engines and their sound, the 5.0 just doesnt do it for me. My goals are consistant 13 second passes, daily driveable, and good highway gas mileage 20+. Basically if Im going to get a 96-98 I dont really want to spend much over 5k, but Id be willing to spend upwards of 8k for a 99-04. But preferably somewhere around the 7k range. The only exception would be a 96-98 cobra which Id also be willing to spend around 8k for but would have to think about it seeing as Id have to run premium gas and dont want to pay that much for fuel. :(

9psi 98

Reaction score
I hope that you're not planning on making this car your daily driver up there. I lived in NH for a while and am familiar with VT. If you ever drive on I-91 or I-89 you're going to hate having any gears above about a 3.27 at that speed. I had 3.73's and hated life with the exhaust noise and gas mileage at 70+ mph all of the time. Also, you have to figure in the weather. There's a reason all of those "hicks" drive such big trucks. I sold my 88GT convertible for a ford ranger....but it had to be done. The sand on the roads up there sandblasted all of the paint behind my tires so I got rid of it before it looked too much like crap. I picked up my 98GT when I moved back to MD. with 42k miles for $9500 and it's supercharged with a ton of mods. I wouldn't pay any more than $6,000 for that car no matter what kind of shape it's in. Just check it over and try to chisel her down as much as possible. KBB is always going to be lower so use that book instead of the NADA guide. You'll see dealers use the NADA book when "booking" their used vehicles, but they'll use the KBB when giving a value to your trade in. She's a private seller so use any excuse to get her to drop her price to around $5500 or so. It's your money and you can get a whole lot more car for your hard earned $8,000.

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
Nope I didnt get it, Im more in the market now for a 99-04 GT. It will be a DD except in the winter months when Ill have it garaged.

S

scarface

DS002 said:
Nope I didnt get it, Im more in the market now for a 99-04 GT. It will be a DD except in the winter months when Ill have it garaged.
now you are showing how smart you really are! good luck finding that perfect edger :)

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
Thank you sir. :thumb:

Im trying to find a red, black, grey, or yellow one. Must be 5 speed and under 75,000 miles and I'm looking to spend right around 9k.

9psi 98

Reaction score
You'll definitely be able to find one for that, probably cheaper too. O0 Keep an eye open, you'll com across one when you aren't even looking for it.

S

scarface

DS002 said:

Im trying to find a red, black, grey, or yellow one. Must be 5 speed and under 75,000 miles and I'm looking to spend right around 9k.
I recently got my cobra with those specifications for 9500... I think you can find a GT for cheaper.

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
Well if I can get my hands on a cobra even better, those cobras have IRS right? I'd atually prefer that to the solid rear. Plus it has the sexy front bumper.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
scarface said:
DS002 said:

I recently got my cobra with those specifications for 9500... I think you can find a GT for cheaper.

Ahh, this thread is making me sick. Where are you finding these cars for that cheap! There is a 99 cobra for sale by private owner around here for 15,500. I paid for my car what Scarface paid for his. There was a 94 GT paint faded with 83k miles for $7900 at a dealer. :rant:

9psi 98

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
scarface said:
DS002 said:

Ahh, this thread is making me sick. Where are you finding these cars for that cheap! There is a 99 cobra for sale by private owner around here for 15,500. I paid for my car what Scarface paid for his. There was a 94 GT paint faded with 83k miles for $7900 at a dealer. :rant:

Damn, the used car market is not in PA I guess.... I got my SC'd 98GT with only 42kmiles for $9500. Keep looking around, you'll find what you're looking for.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
Red96GT said:
scarface said:
DS002 said:

Damn, the used car market is not in PA I guess.... I got my SC'd 98GT with only 42kmiles for $9500. Keep looking around, you'll find what you're looking for.

It's just that I looked around A LOT before I bought my car but didn't take into consideration now nice of a car and location of the car affects the price. This is my first car and I've learned a lot of lessons, some good some bad.

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
scarface said:
its nice.

Are the wheels on it the same as yours just with grey spokes and a polished lip? Im hopefully going tomorrow or tuesday to check it out, if everything goes well Ill probably pay cash on spot and pick it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online