To buy or not to buy 96 GT

DS002

Reaction score
Tomorrow Im going to take a second look at a 96 GT I spotted on the side of the road in vermont, to say this GT is immaculate is an understatement. 54,000 original miles, one owner who is a 40 year old lady, and has never seen a flake of snow always stored in a heated garage during the frigid northeast winters.It is black with zero dents dings or scratches and the interior is absolutly spotless. Basically this thing looks like it just rolled off the assmebly line. It fired right up as soon as I turned the key and it drove like a dream, the car even has a steeda shifer for real crisp short shifts. Basically this car is my dream car.

Now to the problem, she is asking 8k. And when I KBB the car even in excellent condition the book isnt even 6k for the car. What do you guys think? Does 8k sound worth it? Id like to work down to 7500, but IDK if she will. Give me some input.

zeestraten46

Reaction score
bring proof on what its worth maybe she is selling it for what she think its worth and you guys can come upon a agreement in price otherwise it sounds like a great car i would get it but not a penny over 7500!

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
I actually just did a quote on NADA instead of KBB and that has the value at 7800. But I still wouldnt want to spend over 7500, preferably 7k.

el docum

Reaction score
Hello,

Find a clean GT in good shape around $8000.00 is not easy, you can offer $7,500.00, but try to justify your offer, ex. used tire, nead tune up etc...

IMO you have to pay for the mint condition, there so many garbage on the market, a one owner mustang is also a great advantage, you can be sure that the car as always well maintained.

F.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Post pics if you can that would help us with the guessing game, but I would say 7k TOPS

powerfreak

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice car...it would be hard to find another in that condition from what it sounds like.

I'll sell you mine if you want to save some $$. OK, it does have some more miles on it, but it's still nice. :eek:uttahere:

mark8796

Reaction score
8k sounds kinda high, but...if it truly is as beautiful as you say, 1 owner, well taken care of, your freakin dream car!....i'd say definately do it, if u can swing the price. i say get what u really want. you r not going to find that again. just my $.02

black98gt

Reaction score
print out kbb and hand it to her then talk her down

a 40 yr old woman had a steeda shifter lol no shit

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
Not only does it have a steeda shifter it also has eibach pro kit springs and a K&N intake, yea coolest 40 year old lady ever . 8)

Im going tomorrow and Im shooting to get her down to 7K, I dont have any pics but it is by far the nicest 98-98 all original GT ive ever seen.

Powerfreak send me a link to some pics of your car, Ill take a look just in case this one falls through. ;)

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I say go for it even if she won't come down. You usually get what you pay for in a situation like this and it sounds like a really nice car. If it helps at all, I paid $9500 from a dealer for my 96 with 31k miles. Yes, you can get these cars for a lot cheaper than that, but I take a good bit of pride in knowing my car is pretty much showroom clean. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
I say go for it even if she won't come down. You usually get what you pay for in a situation like this and it sounds like a really nice car. If it helps at all, I paid $9500 from a dealer for my 96 with 31k miles. Yes, you can get these cars for a lot cheaper than that, but I take a good bit of pride in knowing my car is pretty much showroom clean. Good luck.

If you could go back in time would you still have got the car?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
DS002 said:
Red96GT said:

If you could go back in time would you still have got the car?

That is a good question. I will tell you honestly that no, I probably wouldn't buy my current car. However, I don't really REGRET buying it because I learned some lessons. The main reason why I say I wouldn't buy my car again is because buying this car bone stock makes it EXTREMElY tempting to modify it, but modding a car while in highschool is both very slow but also a waste of money because I will get nothing back of the money I put into it. Also, a car with 31k miles is almost TOO nice of a first car for me personally and a lot of times I try not to drive it because I want to "keep the miles down."

I really need to know you're situation if I were to recommend buying this car or not. Do you want to mod this car? Do you have the capable finances to do so? Is this car going to be your daily driver? etc etc etc

Hope this is helping. :)

powerfreak

Reaction score
DS002 said:
Powerfreak send me a link to some pics of your car, Ill take a look just in case this one falls through. ;)

I sent you an email. :eek:uttahere: :eek:uttahere:

powerfreak

Reaction score
DS002 said:
DropTopPony said:
Sounds like a nice car but definately over priced.

How much would you pay?

It's a tough call without seeing and driving it BUT, If its really a perfect car, 1 owner, never seen snow, than you can expect to pay over what the "book" value is, just because there are not too many like that around.

I've seen some junk selling for $5000, so to pay $7000 for a perfect car doesn't sound like too much to me. I saw a '97 GT online, 180K, pretty much stock with flowmasters. The paint was badly oxidized on the trunk and roof and the tranny was on it's way out...the guy sold it for $5k on ebay. Not saying it was worth it...but the guy got it.

OP
OP
D

DS002

Reaction score
powerfreak said:
DS002 said:

I sent you an email. :eek:uttahere: :eek:uttahere:

Send it to this address .....

[email protected] the one im listed under on this site is my school account and I cant log onto it unless im on campus.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i wouldnt pay over 6500, actually i wouldnt go back and buy a GT if i knew how slow they are...i mean my GT is nice for a daily driver, but if you want something with some decent speed no matter when, get a cobra.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online