tubular front control arms

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
thinking about getting these along with a MM coilover kit.

and would i want offset or non offset? I mean what would the point be in getting offset?

what about passing safety tests? can u pass with tubular control arms?

it'd be about 1030 shipped to my door for all this, and i'd only have suspension on the front lol. I think i'd just get some springs and lca's for the back some sfc's and call it a day lol maybe a rear coilover kit later

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Forward offset control arms will give you a better weight distribution, because they are taking the weight off the car just by being lighter, but also stretch the wheel base. They also help your car gain extra caster angle, which is a plus for handling as well. Be warned though, that the car might look a bit goofy with wheels pushed forward an inch. I personally don't like the looks of it, and even though the performance gains are there, when I do go with tubular control arms, I'll pick standard offset, because it's a street car, and I'm not competing.

Onto safety inspection. What are you talking about? Safety inspection for who exactly? Half of the cars in NASA run MM tubular stuff, and they all passed safely last time I checked before they even entered the track.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
yeah sry about that I was talking about the safety inspections as in like safety/emissions for the state

thanks for the help man, I'll go with the regular offset cause I'm not autox ing or anything lol

I emailed MM , but I might get an answer faster here so here goes : what about the balljoints on them? do you use a stock balljoint pressed into the control arms or do you have to buy a special balljoint from MM meant for their control arms if they were to ever go out?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I think you use stock one, but I'm not too sure. You better talk to them about this, or even better, just download the installation instructions and see what has to be done.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
that's what im doing as we speak lol

but I know you were planning on getting the tubular control arms also and I'm j/w if u saw where it says "The MM control arms can be installed on a stock K-Member, or on most other aftermarket K-Members which accept stock control arms (some modifications are required to a stock K member)."

and if you did, did you figure out what had to be modified or anything? I also emailed MM about this in the same email, so if u don't know i"m sure they'll know lol

ReplicaR

Reaction score
If you read the instructions, there are little pieces of K member that have to be trimmed off around the control arm mounting points. This would allow free motion of control arm.

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
If you read the instructions, there are little pieces of K member that have to be trimmed off around the control arm mounting points. This would allow free motion of control arm.

it too me a while to find the installation instruction lol I just saw what had to be trimmed and it looks pretty damn easy

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I don't autocross. I road race. Just came back from Big Willow this past weekend with Speed Trial USA as a matter of fact. You should roll out with us one of these days. Next time I'm going is going to be most likely in mid October with Cobra Club of OC.

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Dimitry - Let me know the next time you go to a road race. I still have a small oil leak so I couldn't participate, but I'd love to come out and spectate.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Tech will usually pass you with a very minor oil leak. Lots of the racecars have "horsepower sweat" dripping from them a little bit at a time. :)

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Depends on who you go with. Some groups are pretty laid back, others are very strict. When I do tech inspections, I usually check for oil leaks. Wet pan is usually fine (shit, even my car has a wet pan), but if I see oil on the ground, that does not fly. I'll try to make it to the Cobra Club even in mid October. You should try to run at the same event as well. I'll send you links as soon as information becomes available.

fixthedoor

Reaction score
I guess the only thing to do is bring it out and have it inspected. I am anxious to try out my new suspension bits. Shoot me link when you can D. Thanks for the input guys I feel a little more comfortable now. :TY:

El_Diablo

Reaction score
anyone have comparison pictures of cars with and without offset control arms and wouldn't this cause issues for a guy like me running 275/35/18 tires? i would think that at lock it would cause issues for me?

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the Fox cars I've found that have forward offset arms. I could not find anything for SN95. You will have to cut away at some bumper and fender, because there is a chance that the wheels will not clear otherwise.

353b2py.jpg

1zx1caf.jpg

5vat94.jpg

OP
OP
R

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
i saw a blue sn95 the other day with offset control arms, he had weld on it and it looked reatarded, like a 5 inch wheel to fender gap on the rear of it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiswoc

Members online