Tune question

HawkX66

Reaction score
If my 02 GT has no cats (stock manifolds, X pipe into Flowmaster system) and no MIL eliminators and there's no check engine light or codes being thrown, would that mean the car had to have had a tune at some point? I don't really have any way of telling do I?
The reason I'm asking is I'm about to put headers on it and I'd rather eliminate the EGR. If it means the check engine light will stay on, I'll just hook up the egr. I'm having a ***** of a time finding a replacement EGR tube to manifold fitting though. I'm sure I can grab one at the Depot if I need to, but why aren't they available?
Here are the headers I'm putting on. How can you beat $180 delivered for stainless steel headers? I'm going with Percys for gaskets.

My set up now:

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
stock ford gaskets the best. use all the stock nuts and bolts you can too unless going with the stage locking ones.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
The studs and nuts that I took off weren't in great condition so I'm going with the Stage 8. They're the only header bolts I've seen that you will never have to worry about loosening. What's wrong with Percy's gaskets? I've never had a problem with them on all my other projects. Never a 4.6l though.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
not saying anything about the percy gaskets..never heard of them. all I know is, the shops I have been around and other people say Ford. what i have used on two of my mustangs with the stock hardware and no failures.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Hmm it could be tuned but there really isnt a way of finding out that Im aware of. Id really like to know how you like those headers and if gains similar to name brands are there.

On a side note, I would do all I can to keep the egr system. Not only does it lower combustion temps but it also helps with gas mileage too. Plus you will need a tune afterwards.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Hmm it could be tuned but there really isnt a way of finding out that Im aware of. Id really like to know how you like those headers and if gains similar to name brands are there.

On a side note, I would do all I can to keep the egr system. Not only does it lower combustion temps but it also helps with gas mileage too. Plus you will need a tune afterwards.
I've gone back and forth on the egr. I think I'll just leave it there. It's not a show car. I just have never liked the exhaust gases going back into the intake. It's all epa b.s. I really don't think it affects mileage in a positive way contrary to belief. If anything, it heats up the air in the intake which robs HP.
I'm digging the headers, but I'll have no way of knowing any real gains. The engine was so ragged on before and I won't be putting it on a dyno. Without question there will be some good gains, but exactly how much who knows. Here's a couple of pics where I mocked them up last night. I still need to finish the heads before I can put it all back together. O/T has been stealing too much of my time lately.
They appear to be pretty good quality. Good gauge metal and definitely not thin. Either way, for $180 I'm not complaining. I try to buy Made in the USA when I can, but header prices have just gone so out of control it's ridiculous.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Its been documented time and time again that deleting the egr will lessen fuel mileage and will do nothing for power. It only operates under medium load (cruising) and injects inert gasses into the combustion chamber to lower emissions. It cuts down on detonation too so if it was deleted you would have to get a tune not only to turn the egr function off but also to add fuel to compensate increasing fuel consumption and decreasing fuel mileage.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Its been documented time and time again that deleting the egr will lessen fuel mileage and will do nothing for power. It only operates under medium load (cruising) and injects inert gasses into the combustion chamber to lower emissions. It cuts down on detonation too so if it was deleted you would have to get a tune not only to turn the egr function off but also to add fuel to compensate increasing fuel consumption and decreasing fuel mileage.
Ever looked inside a plenum with 100k + miles on it? Exhaust is introducing more than just "inert" gases back into your intake. Not to mention the heat. I'd have to see these tests completed with my own eyes to believe it. Otherwise, the day I trust what the EPA has to say is the day I'd accept Jim Jone's invitation to stop by for some Kool Aid.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ever looked inside a plenum with 100k + miles on it? Exhaust is introducing more than just "inert" gases back into your intake. Not to mention the heat. I'd have to see these tests completed with my own eyes to believe it. Otherwise, the day I trust what the EPA has to say is the day I'd accept Jim Jone's invitation to stop by for some Kool Aid.

The fact that the inert gasses arent there to cool down the combustion chamber and having to compensate with more fuel should be enough. And yes I have seen the plenum and yes it does get nasty over time but there are other systems that do similar things like the pcv system.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am a big proponent of getting rid of EGR, mostly for simplicity and cleanliness. Tuners have come down so much now I would just bite the bullet and get a simple EGR/Cat delete tune.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
and yes it does get nasty over time but there are other systems that do similar things like the pcv system.
This is true...

I am a big proponent of getting rid of EGR, mostly for simplicity and cleanliness. Tuners have come down so much now I would just bite the bullet and get a simple EGR/Cat delete tune.
That's what I'm a little unsure of. No cats and no codes so I can only assume they've been tuned out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online