Underdrive pullies...

joefelly3888

New Member
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
What are some pros and cons with underdrive pulleys? Ive been looking around and it looks like march pullies dont sound that bad. Its a fairly cheap mod but well i feel a difference? How bad is the charge loss with headlights on. The only accessory I pretty much use is my lights which is at night and my stereo. Anyone have any problems with any brand pullies?
 

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Retired Staff
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
11,861
Reaction score
58
Location
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Get Aluminum pulleys, you can leave the sock alt pulley on. You will get less voltage but if you dont run a large stereo you will be fine for sure. I run a fairly large stereo and im just on the border line.
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
ASP's here. No big stereo but at idle my volts drop down to around 12....they are a steady 13.6 when riding around. As far as power that you'll feel...the weather can change and give to take 10hp from you...the power from the underdrives, you probably won't even notice but its there.
 

ylw95gts

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
232
Reaction score
0
Not to hi-jack your thread but I have a question on pullies as well. I installed the crank and water pump pulley of my BBK kit. My alt came with a new chrome pulley which I left on. My belt now seems too loose. Should I get a shorter belt or yank that pulley and put my BBK pulley on the Alt?.
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
you can do either of the two. If you already go the pulley, I'd slap the new one on there. You may still need a belt. You can take your tensioner off and actually cut the stop on it a bit so it will have a bit more travel in it. that may tighten up the belt a bit more.
 

94twinscrew

Active Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
joefelly3888 said:
What are some pros and cons with underdrive pulleys? Ive been looking around and it looks like march pullies dont sound that bad. Its a fairly cheap mod but well i feel a difference? How bad is the charge loss with headlights on. The only accessory I pretty much use is my lights which is at night and my stereo. Anyone have any problems with any brand pullies?
Pro's are VERY small.....they will free up a few parasitic drive loss hp. You'll be lucky to see 3whp from them.

The con's are low charging,poor coolant circulation,underdriven a/c and P/S systems. If you're going to run them,buy the nitrade steel ones,they'll last longer. I had a aluminum set wear after a few years of use,and the water pump pulley imploded after it wore thru the material....left me stranded in the drive thru :mad: IMO,there are better things out there to buy for a daily driven street car that are near $100. But if you are still lookin for a set after all that......I have a black nitrade ASP set that was only on my car for a week...let me know.
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, Cam, Intake, full bolt ons. STOCK water pump and STOCK radiator with a 180 degree thermostat...temps 185 degrees all day with an underdriven crank and water pulley. If you got a cheap-o set of pullies, I can see the water pump pulley imploding. I've seen stock idler pullies on 03-04 cobras do it and they're steel. They help...period. be it 3-10hp...they help. Life of accessories, parastic drag reduced, etc. If you don't like'em...keep your stockers around. I have NEVER EVER ONCE had a cooling problem sitting in traffic with my 331 with these pullies. The lights might dim a bit at idle but that its.

Keep in mind that different manufacturers may have different sizes. Some companies have race-only set ups with ultra small crank pullies. Those I can see causing some big problems with cooling and charging so be careful.
 

joefelly3888

New Member
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
well what do you guys think about the march aluminum ones? Ive read alot of good things about these ones? Ive never really read much alot ASP. Anyone have any info on them?
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
I've had the ASPs on my car for 30,000 miles. You can't go wrong with March either.
 

94twinscrew

Active Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
ryclef331 said:
331 stroker, AFR 185 heads, Cam, Intake, full bolt ons. STOCK water pump and STOCK radiator with a 180 degree thermostat...temps 185 degrees all day with an underdriven crank and water pulley. If you got a cheap-o set of pullies, I can see the water pump pulley imploding. I've seen stock idler pullies on 03-04 cobras do it and they're steel. They help...period. be it 3-10hp...they help. Life of accessories, parastic drag reduced, etc. If you don't like'em...keep your stockers around. I have NEVER EVER ONCE had a cooling problem sitting in traffic with my 331 with these pullies. The lights might dim a bit at idle but that its.

Keep in mind that different manufacturers may have different sizes. Some companies have race-only set ups with ultra small crank pullies. Those I can see causing some big problems with cooling and charging so be careful.
They weren't a "CHEAPO" set, they were the March polished aluminum set(4 1/2" crank).....when I called March to ask about it,their tech simply said "it happens"..."we can send you another set". Which was decent of them,but I went with the ASP's instead becuase I was near Mustangs Unlimited at the time. Im glad to hear that they work for you, but in most cases,people tend to swap back to stock pulleys because they "outgrow" the need for them. My buddy just finally took his off after going with a wider rim up front......the thing was a PITA to turn with the U/D's,but with the stockers back on,it's nice and smooth. With me, it was because of my sound system,lights,....and then the water pump pulley. Just offering up my experience with them,along with others..... :thumb:
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
I hear ya man. I'm not getting fired up or nothing. I can't comment on the steering b/c well...I don't have powersteering, a/c, or smog. Just spinning a water pump and the alternator.
 

94twinscrew

Active Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
465
Reaction score
0
ryclef331 said:
I hear ya man. I'm not getting fired up or nothing. I can't comment on the steering b/c well...I don't have powersteering, a/c, or smog. Just spinning a water pump and the alternator.

lol....OMG man, your forearms must be HUGE :rollinglaugh:
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
Last year I was running 18" FR500s without it...I thought putting skinnies up front would help...wrong. WORSE. I run a Detroit Locker in the rear and if it bites while trying to park, it pushes like its on ice. Its livable though. I picked up a 95 GT a while back and couldn't believe it..."I can drive it with my pinky!!"
 

joefelly3888

New Member
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
I can just imagine how the steering will be on my car, already with the 275s up front. If its liveable then i guess i will try the pullies. The march aluminum are looking good on my list right now. I dont think the voltage on my car will run that bad, I just run one sub and amp. I think march showed a dyno of their website of the pullies on a 95 gt...
 

ryclef331

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
2,913
Reaction score
11
joefelly3888 said:
I can just imagine how the steering will be on my car, already with the 275s up front. If its liveable then i guess i will try the pullies. The march aluminum are looking good on my list right now. I dont think the voltage on my car will run that bad, I just run one sub and amp. I think march showed a dyno of their website of the pullies on a 95 gt...


It shouldn't be bad...If you're parking it, it might be a bit of a pain. If its a 5 speed, just rev it as you park it. That simple.
 

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Retired Staff
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
11,861
Reaction score
58
Location
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
after a while you will start to look like popeye
1284.jpg


I heard the handling is really nice but just parking etc is a pain.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
74,891
Messages
1,452,678
Members
13,573
Latest member
ISmeelBaon

Members online

Top