Voodoo flat plane crank

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
All this change boils down to efficiency. Government mandated all vehivles to be able to have something like 45mpg by 2020 (?...in that area) Long story short....Ford is trying to improve the v8's survival. So...by by LS3

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I have no fear that GM will still have a cam in block V8 with the same 4.4" bore spacing as the rest of the small blocks in the year 2020. GM has never been behind in terms of efficiency. The 4.8L LS heads flow just as well as the 03-04 4v cobra heads... So whatever replaces the LT4 will be right along side of whatever replaces the voodoo motor.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I favor a 2v head as well but direct injection has changed the game. Were the once was 4v head couldnt obtain compression because of homogeneous logistics, the direct injection stratifies the cylinder completely, making the 4v ....im going to say it....king! Efficiency, power, potential, pump gas acceptance. ....Ford has scratched the surface. Although all of these improvements, innovations are already known and proven, Ford is pushing development for mass production success. Im not a Ford nuts swinger (yes I am) I respect all the brands aspects to what holds them down in this game, but the government throws curveballs and Ford is already ahead. Look to all the over sea super cars. They are now installing smaller turbo'd engine, no longer installing multi...multi cylinder engines. Now its 6cylinders turbo'd to meet our government standards just to sell to our market.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Gm will play catch up like always....

Please elaborate on this statement of yours. Unless I actually don't know how to read, or hear, or see... History and data and facts and stuff all show your statement to be less than completely accurate.

In 2003/4, Ford, with their supercharged mustang (making an amazing 370hp, lol), weren't really smoking GM who was putting 400hp naturally aspirated engines in luxury sedans. The quote "power improved" 4.6 doesn't have any power improvement over a 4.8 LS motor. Year for year, I doubt you can find too many examples where Ford's powerplant is noticeably, if at all, better than the GM counterpart. I will take a LS9 over the dohc 5.8 GT500 engine, any day. The LS9 may require .4 additional liters of displacement to deliver the same 650hp, but it does so in a much smaller package that weighs over 100lbs less than even the aluminum block dohc motor, and has one cam that you can drive with gears if you choose, rather than dealing with the belts and tensioners of the Ford timing system.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I think I speak for the rest of us when I ask....why are you here? I welcome you,...dont get me wrong here, but if your not a Ford fan, why stay?

torch318

Reaction score
Gm will play catch up like always....
That's what they always do. GM waits to see what Ford's game is and then comes out with something that stock for stock is just a little bit better. Then all the car magazines put them head to head with a hotshoe behind the wheel so they can declare a "king". Anymore though the difference between cars is so small that most comparisons are within tenths of seconds of each other and the average joe would never be able to tell the difference between cars performance wise.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I am here because I have always liked the 302w, since I was a kid. I always wanted to build a single turbo 4-bolt boss motor. And then a buddy of mine got a '95 GT, he joined this forum. I started helping him research parts/mods for his car, I joined this forum.

I'm not a Ford guy, or a Chevy guy, or Mopar for that matter. I'm a car guy. And I have a personal preference for simplicity in design. I like robust, simple designs that I can trust to survive the apocalypse, and I find it easier to trust cam in block motors more easily than the overhead cam engines.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Cool...and im glad youre here. Your post challenge those reading to think and I like that. I wanted to get your take being here, just to be sure your intentions are real and not hollow here on this forum. I have to admit, I took you for one of those that like to create drama/mischief, but your not. Sorry I offended.

Moving on..

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I hear you. I can definitely see how I could come off as a troll. Especially being on a Ford forum without having any allegiance to Ford.

This is the first car forum I joined that has a projects and builds section, which is exactly what I am interested in.

And to be honest, but please don't take this the wrong way, Ford's are kind of an underdog, in my opinion. So I really like to see how people overcome the inherent difficulties of building a Ford and staying in the Ford family.

If you want big power from a Ford, you need a boss block. If you want to carve corners, you need a completely different suspension. These are all things that I am interested to see what people choose, and how they choose to go about doing it.

Anyone can build a 1000hp F-body that can canyon race with the best of them. Why? Because it has an engine that can be pushed to 1000hp already in it. It has a transmission that's up to the task, already in it. It has a short/ long arm front suspension, and a 3-link/ torque arm rear suspension, already in it. It's easy. It's boring. It's like cheating. And it's all the same.

Ford builds are always different, because everyone chooses to solve problems in a different way and a different order. And it keeps me coming back to this forum.

Everyone here seems to be relatively honest and willing to help. It makes it easy to come back.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
All this change boils down to efficiency. Government mandated all vehivles to be able to have something like 45mpg by 2020 (?...in that area) Long story short....Ford is trying to improve the v8's survival. So...by by LS3

Wow a ton of really good coments here...im going to start with this....the mpg requirement is fleet based. So as long as chevy has the volt, mopar has the fiat, and ford has.....whatever it has, the focus or fiesta...whatever...the car makers will still be able to make gas guzzlers like the suburban and what not. Think about it, there is no way gm will get rid of those suv's. Noone else makes one that big and there is no way they will get it to meet standards that somehow become law by a gov agency that isnt supposed to make laws anyway. The aluminum f150....dont get me started lol. Wreck one and see if, 1 there is a shop that invested all the money to work on it, 2 the insurance co doesnt just total it because costs are to high to repair, 3 the cost benefit of it compared to steel isnt there. Now granted just like Dave, im a car guy, not neccessarily brand specific. Ive owned so many different ones ive lost count, but I was a dodge tech so tend to steer towards them especially the trucks, i love me some cummins. A mustang though...its iconic, they are cheap, fun to drive and for a very long time they were the only american sportscar out there( i dislike camaros because they are such a pita to work on, yes ive had 2). Any tech advances, new designs will have there querks, their nay sayers. When svt designed the termi, everyone especially gm guys were against them. I never understood this, besides the 302 i think it was one of the best motors ford brought out, able to handle big power without breaking into the motor much, thats awesome and efficient as well. Now onto the hell cat, i love this car, this motor, the ignition set up is a little funky, but read a little and you can figure it out, 730+ hp from factory....awesome. change the pulley and your in the 900 range. Its not the same motor as any other srt, completley different. Will i ever have one? God i hope so lol........you know i just realized this thread is old....sorry....point to all this is give the brand time they will get it or theyll scrap it, the only bad part is, if they knew before production that they were having failures with that low of mileage...shame on them, dont try to compete with such a poor design

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Think about it, there is no way gm will get rid of those suv's. Noone else makes one that big and there is no way they will get it to meet standards that somehow become law by a gov agency that isnt supposed to make laws anyway. n

The Excursions are bigger and better than suburbans and come with an overhead cam engine lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online