VT stage 1 cams?

NERD

Reaction score
I know I'm buying VT cams but anyone know the expected HP gain?

jEEd

Reaction score
on vtengines, it states 25-30rwhp normally but you know thats on the new edges w/ pi heads n such already.

but i've been wondering the same thing since after i do my full pi swap ( installing it this weekend, im so stoked ) and i save enough money for new cams + tune, i would want to know how much of a hp difference is there between the VT Stage 1 Cams vs. the stock PI Cams that i would have in my car this weekend.

but yeah sorry i dont know what the expected hp gain would be over NPI or PI..

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
I already have a PI engine. I won't get stage 2 because I wont be able to use them to the most of their capability. On a NA application without ported heads I'd just be spending money for no reason. (springs and such) When I finish my forged block and get staged heads then I'll get a custom grind based on the need of the 20+psi. People have stated theirs only about 7hp difference between the two and stage 2's even have lower Tq at certain lower RPMS.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was at 280 something with PI swapped heads, springs and VT stage ones. I also had an exhaust, but no plenum or throttle body. They are very nice cams, but a little bit peaky. 262;s ay be a good alternative.

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
I was at 280 something with PI swapped heads, springs and VT stage ones. I also had an exhaust, but no plenum or throttle body. They are very nice cams, but a little bit peaky. 262;s ay be a good alternative.

Whats peaky??

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
The powerband isn't quite as broad as what I have seen on dyno charts from other cams, like the comps. This comes from the VT cams having a tighter lobe separation angle than the others.

Fryrice

Reaction score
sxynerd said:
I already have a PI engine. I won't get stage 2 because I wont be able to use them to the most of their capability. On a NA application without ported heads I'd just be spending money for no reason. (springs and such)

Dude that is totally false .Look at my sig. My VT2 's make all the difference in the numbers. A stock 99-04 GT makes 260hp at the flywheel.Now subtract the drivetrain loss and your way below that.

Im makin well over 300hp at the flywheel plus 281rwhp and 305rwtq with no headwork just like stock 99-04GT .I do have a bump in compression but thats not the big power maker. I dont know where you came up with that,but your giving bad information.

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
Fryrice said:
sxynerd said:
I already have a PI engine. I won't get stage 2 because I wont be able to use them to the most of their capability. On a NA application without ported heads I'd just be spending money for no reason. (springs and such)

Dude that is totally false .Look at my sig. My VT2 's make all the difference in the numbers. A stock 99-04 GT makes 260hp at the flywheel.Now subtract the drivetrain loss and your way below that.

Im makin well over 300hp at the flywheel plus 281rwhp and 305rwtq with no headwork just like stock 99-04GT .I do have a bump in compression but thats not the big power maker. I dont know where you came up with that,but your giving bad information.

Where I came up with what? I have a 99 PI motor and am making 256whp. Did you have VT1 in you car before you installed vt2? If so did you dyno each of them and have dyno tune? You said I'm giving wrong information, then where's the wrong. I said I wont wont be able to make the most of their capabilities, how are you going to argue with what I said?

Fryrice

Reaction score
You said.... "I won't get stage 2 because I wont be able to use them to the most of their capability. On a NA application without ported heads I'd just be spending money for no reason. (springs and such)"

Spending money on stage 2's for no reason on a N/A application because your not porting the heads ? Explain to me what that means .

Id also like to know what other mods you have in addition to your PI swap. Just curious.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Dude, the guy just made a mistake in information. You dont need to get all pissy about it. Chill dude O0

Fryrice

Reaction score
68mustang5.0 said:
Dude, the guy just made a mistake in information. You dont need to get all pissy about it. Chill dude O0

And we are having a civilized debate about it. So dont worry about it.

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
My Mods are
99 PI motor
75mmTB
C&L Plen
K&N Filter
BBK CAI
Full Exhaust
H-pipe
And a SCT custom Dyno Tune

I guess I can't read cause I don't see where anyone told me what my wrong information was? I talk to VT and they told me stage 1 is all I should go with untill I have head work done. Going through the hassle of changing the spring would just be waisted money spent elsewhere, Like finishing my forged bottom end or buy my ported heads for my new motor. THen after that since I'm planning on 20+ PSI I should go with a custom grind cam to best suit my needs. Thats straight from VT.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Forget what you you said about Stage 1s and all that. Whatever your future plans are is not what Im talking about. Im talking about Stage 2s .

You were suggesting that VT2 n/a's are somehow a waste of money unless your P&P the heads. Am I right ? Besides,VT doesn't make a stage 1 blower cam,so your gonna have to upgrade your springs anyways. So I dont see why they would tell you your wasting money on springs if you plan on running 20psi ?

BTW- I don't mean to come off sounding like a dick ,but Im trying to understand your reason for saying that.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 said:
Because VT doesnt "recomend" them in stock heads.

And I didnt add the CAPS to this note....VT website :

"Stage 2 cams are the perfect choice for ported heads and all out N/A street/strip performance. MUST BE USED WITH AFTERMARKET VALVESPRINGS. Aggressive idle. 3000-6500 prm. Gains of 30-35rwhp are common. Like 3.73 gear or better and 2800+ stall in auto's. MUST BE TUNED AFTER INSTALL. .560/.575 lift, 225/235 .050" duration, 108 LSA

Stage 2 blower cams : These cams gained 87hp and 49ft/lb over stock PI cams on UNPORTED cylinder heads. Suitable for daily driven cars. Noticable idle. Will support up to 600rwhp. VALVESPRING UPGRADE REQUIRED! .530/.570 lift, 220/230 .050" duration, 112 LSA +4*

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
Since I know I will be going to high boost application and I know that I will be getting "new" stage2 or better heads & cams and my bottom end is almost built, it's more I guess cost effectiveness. I now understand why you said I was giving out wrong info. I guess I should clarify. "I" wont benefit because I wont spend that much money for only a few more Hp and a lumpy idle since I am in the middle of affording my other build since I will be getting staged heads later. The comment about not having ported heads was wrong and I miss spoke. I must have reread my original post 5 times and it didn't see that I said that.

Fryrice

Reaction score
Its all good. Bottom line is this ,any time you can keep the valves open longer and wider your gonna make a lot more power ,with or without headwork. Its just science. Stage 1,2 or 3 cams are a big power getter on a N/A or blower combos depending on your app because you are creating a easier environment for fuel and air to mix ,so your gonna get bigger numbers. Its the same reason your not gonna see anyone runnin factory cams with 20psi.

Good luck on your build,and let us know what you make so we can all be jealous. :)

black98gt

Reaction score
i dont mean to get in the arguement but why would you buy a set of cams now and another set alittle bit down the road. if your concerned about wasting money it doesnt make sense to me why wouldnt you just run stock cams till then. just sounds pointless to buy 2 sets. idk maybe its just me who doesnt have money like that

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online