Wanting to replace the transmission pan seal

Ballistic

Reaction score
I have had a little dripping from my transmission, and was thinking about replacing the seal as thats where it looks like its coming from already checked and tightened every bolt for the pan and it still leaks a tiny bit. What im more worried about is if i replace the seal and put new transmission oil in will it make my transmission need to be rebuilt?

Just wanted to see if its pretty common with our cars or not. I know a lot of the time if the fluid has never been changed sometimes its worse for the transmission because the detergents in the fluid that clean and sometimes the dirt and crap is whats holding it together.

I have a 97GT Auto its around 110k miles..

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Drop the pan and inspect the filter and pan. A new filter and gasket is 12 bucket at vatozone. New fluid won't hurt could it illuminate problems probably not.

the 4r70 is a very stout tranny. You shouldn't be too woried. They are fairly cheap to replace or rebuild too...

and do the Jmod

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
What kind of condition is your oil in? Does it still look red and smell good?

Got time after work today, didn't smell bad or burnt, could not tell if it was red or not, that dip stick is horrible..

Drop the pan and inspect the filter and pan. A new filter and gasket is 12 bucket at vatozone. New fluid won't hurt could it illuminate problems probably not.

the 4r70 is a very stout tranny. You shouldn't be too woried. They are fairly cheap to replace or rebuild too...

and do the Jmod

That's good to know and makes me fell better about doing it sometime soon, the car has been pretty well maintained from day one.. I still prefer only using Motorcraft parts.

lutter94

Reaction score
Want to see oil color better wipe the dipstick off with a white rag, should show color really well....

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Color was light brown, if my damn mufflers show up tomorrow (being shipped from Borla) Ill have the place i take it to drop the pan and replace the filter, seal, and flush it..