Watch my Mustang Cobra build on Youtube!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! The video is cool and content is good.

Dont mind these guys, most of them are old and stuck in their ways.

But ill agree with others on the thread title. Its asking for heat, a little bit of flack will come. Its obvious your intentions were good, but their have been many leaches use the forum base to gain popularity when they dont contribute to the forum.

So just hang around, post pics, talk about whats on your mind! Mustangs, racing, politics.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
I'll give you some Youtube tips / guidance. Not that my channel is big but I'm coming from the perspective that you are at now. I've had a "youtube channel" since 2011 but I put zero effort into up until last Nov / Dec as far as any type of consistent content other than a short time when I was doing coverage with my CBR 600RR but not many of those videos took off except for how to videos on exhaust comparisons / how to do brakes exc exc.....

It's hard to break into the automotive world on youtube due to how much it is covered and how the algorithm works. You need to have a focused channel and cant bounce around on a lot of content. Mine was just a mixing bowl of so much different stuff ranging from gaming, sportbikes, ATVs, high end polystone statue collecting until I set it to just being about my SVT Terminator Cobra. Granted a lot of my mixed content was to keep the channel afloat until I got the Cobra. Once you have a direction stick with it.

Your early videos will suck. That's the reality of the situation and is unavoidable. Talking to a camera / phone does not come naturally but becomes more comfortable as you do it. Some take to it quicker than others and some take along time. I fell somewhere in the middle. It will take a long time to get any kind of traction but the views / subs will come in time.

Constant content is key. Daily videos are very hard to do, weekly videos are more realistic and generally what youtube likes to see. I was going at a rate of about 1 video every two weeks when trying to float the channel and just doing that showed constant growth and subs. I'll most likely fall into the weekly routine with the Terminator other than the winter months when it's being stored but I'll have some content to fill that void.

Be active in the community. I watch a ton of other Mustang focused channels. I comment on their videos and interact with others who post comments. It's surprising the subs you will get just from that. I do not go out and say hey sub to my channel on other peoples videos but the regular commenters will start to see your comments as well the more often you reply and that helps. Bigger channels will support you if you support them. Support the smaller channels often times people will sub for sub to help each other out. I've had that happen a lot w/out even asking. Make sure your subscriptions are set to public so that anyone you sub to is notified that you did. I have a ton of subs from i have no idea who they came from.

The last and hardest thing is having engaging content. You either have to be entertaining or have a topic focused around why people want to watch the video. My best videos to date are how to videos youtube loves how to do stuff, Raptor Grill install on my F150, explaining the fox suspension and how it works on the can am renegade XXC both with over 15,000 views. If you can do work on your own on the car that will do well, even if you copy what someone else did and just make a video on it people will see it. I was not the first person on youtube to show how to do a raptor grill install on an F150 but I'm sitting at 17,000 views on that video with 200 likes, 50 comments and a 96% like ratio in just over 1 year of it being out. If you are sticking with automotive type stuff the car matters a lot or what you do with it. People with exotics, high end cars, GT350's, Terminator Cobra's, GT500's Old classic restorations, Supra's, High horsepower builds will always gain more views and subs just based on what the content is around. If you do mods make a video on it ( doing videos on how to's or mod installs always takes 5X longer than doing it off camera ). Watch your stats on social blade but do not obsess about them. Some months will have spikes in views / subs and others will have dips. It's just how it works but it's there to gauge the overall growth of your channel. Getting monetized seems hard to do ( 1000 subs / 4,000 watch hrs in the previous 12 months ) but it's not impossible if you stick with it. My watch hrs are halfway there and when my Terminator Cobra videos become a weekly thing the subs will get to 1,000 in not much time. I had a goal of 250 subs for this year...and already surpassed that last month just due to consistent content and focusing the channel around getting the Terminator and with now actually getting it ( next week ). Youtube can be frustrating if you let it, I do it just for fun I have no intent of making a living off of it it's just a personal goal of mine to get monetized just to say I accomplished it all on my own. You may find some of this helpful or it can be completely useless but it's just my overall opinion and what I have experienced myself.

One last last thing...Use tags in the description of your videos and # tags. It helps for people to find the content. Also find a good video editor you are comfortable with. I used hitflim express for along time because it was free but made the jump and bought Filmora 9 and I like it a lot. Also find good free to use music that you can put into your videos. There are good copyright free channels where you can use the content w/ out worrying about a claim on your video.

Last edited: