Weird issue ...

RichV

Reaction score
97 GT, 5 speed, stock.

Drive the car extended miles (like say 50+), and it dies. Then it acts like it's in limp mode. Cools off, seems to be back to normal. No appearance of overheating, but it may be something that thinks it is. Only codes come in are some speed sensor code. ?!?

Stumped, dude is coming over this weekend and I'll look at it a little closer.

Thinking maybe a CTS, possibly MAF or t/b.

kb1982

Reaction score
Check your fuel pressure next time it does that. Could be a fuel pump on its way out.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
What's the exact code?
I have access to "alldata pro" at work and it gives pretty good breakdown of the codes troubleshooting procedures.\

What's a CTS?

Addermk2

Reaction score
What's the exact code?
I have access to "alldata pro" at work and it gives pretty good breakdown of the codes troubleshooting procedures.\

What's a CTS?

So wait, you have access to all data pro... But you don't know what a coolant temp sensor is?

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
LOL. Dumb ass attack I guess. I have been diagnosed with CRS. (can't remember shit)

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
^ Coolant Temp Sensor, may be other acronyms for it. Probably same sensor that SLOW95GTS is thinking. It's behind the coolant outlet on the intake.

I'll pull the codes with my device when I see the car. Not sure if he's doing right.

There are not too many things that can cause a limp mode, that what it seems like anyway. Fuel pump can be it, I'll see if it's making any strange noises, check pressure. TFI module, possibly PIP. I'd think the ECU would be smart enough to throw a code, but OBD1 isn't exactly rocket science.

toyman

Reaction score
So wait, you have access to all data pro... But you don't know what a coolant temp sensor is?

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

It's called the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor in Ford lingo.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
CTS = catera touring sedan lol ;p

I was leaning towards fuel, but interested to see after you pull codes

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
^ Coolant Temp Sensor, may be other acronyms for it. Probably same sensor that SLOW95GTS is thinking. It's behind the coolant outlet on the intake.

I'll pull the codes with my device when I see the car. Not sure if he's doing right.

There are not too many things that can cause a limp mode, that what it seems like anyway. Fuel pump can be it, I'll see if it's making any strange noises, check pressure. TFI module, possibly PIP. I'd think the ECU would be smart enough to throw a code, but OBD1 isn't exactly rocket science.

I don't think it's the PIP or TFI because they don't usually put the car in limp mode, but they do tend to start working after the car cools down.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I don't think it's the PIP or TFI because they don't usually put the car in limp mode, but they do tend to start working after the car cools down.

True. I'm suspect on the ECT, see if I can find a resistance chart to test it.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I've had the same thing on a mustang and f250 before.

turned out it was a Voltage regulator.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Update:

So dude didn't bring his car over, it has been acting up and has been real unreliable.

Buuuutttt,

Apparently I misunderstood, it is a 97 GT (mods please move to the 4.6 zone).

He said after it cools off for about 20min, it starts up and drives just fine. It can happen on the highway or just low speed cruising. It just looses power, stumbles under throttle, eventually dies. Then it does not restart for about 20min.

It almost sounds like vapor lock. It has a few mods, 3:73 gears, SCT BAMA tuner (not sure what tune he is running), BBK catted h-pipe and Magnaflow cat back, stock NPI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online